Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

I teach HS math, like algebra, geometry, calculus, stats, etc.  

In my 21st year.  I have my PhD and should really go teach preservice teachers in college, but I just really love teaching high schoolers.

If (when) I ever need help in my ap pre calc or AB next year I now know who to ask. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stormy said:

The 12z ECM and EPS say no significant winter weather through Saturday, Jan. 6.  Everything is too progressively zonal.

You cannot ignore this because the models over the past three seasons show you what should be happening in a normal winter pattern then flip out and say but this is what you get; just like in Willy Wonka:  "You Get Nothing"!!!  "Good Day Sir"!!!

49 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Euro op only runs to D10.

You are correct. 

Instead of splitting between 240 and 360 hrs.. I decided to lump the two in tandem, covering the period up to Jan 6. This has both covering the 29 threat and the EPS the 29 & Jan 5 threat.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

You cannot ignore this because the models over the past three seasons show you what should be happening in a normal winter pattern then flip out and say but this is what you get; just like in Willy Wonka:  "You Get Nothing"!!!  "Good Day Sir"!!!

The third word of your comment says it all:  ignore .......  Have a better day tomorrow.

22 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Way too early to give up on early January but here is the 3-4 week outlook beginning on the 6th.  Features 55-60% chance of above normal temperatures and the same chances for above normal precipitation.  It's a two outcome prediction so the chances of below normal temperatures is 40-45%. 

They note that the AO may go negative as early as mid-January if a SSW occurs.  They believe the dominant forcer will be the strong ElNino and are not putting too much weight into the MJO due to large uncertainty. 

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/WK34/

• Like 1

Let's note 15-day GFS says cold and snow (for Jan 6, 2024), about like two weeks ago it was saying cold and snow for Dec 25-26. Is it any more reliable on second try? Possibly. Best period is probably late Jan and early Feb, but could evolve sooner for a longer wintry episode. 

Early January signal comes and goes on GFS, I saw one case a couple of days ago for Jan 4-5, it turned into a cutter and now you get Jan 5-6 for cold and snow. Sooner or later one of GFS signals will materialize, I don't believe winter 2023-24 will stay as awful as 2022-23. 

22 minutes ago, stormy said:

You are correct. 

Instead of splitting between 240 and 360 hrs.. I decided to lump the two in tandem, covering the period up to Jan 6. This has both covering the 29 threat and the EPS the 29 & Jan 5 threat.

Maybe we're looking for different things.  image.thumb.png.0772f65fccef6e2e8e079a2699cf95e7.pngimage.thumb.png.7c108930d731d09dad22b4082275dcc6.pngimage.thumb.png.35a84dcca67a813496ed8a8ef245e83c.pngimage.thumb.png.8252c89726ec9eced2b2e73b257920d6.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

Way too early to give up on early January but here is the 3-4 week outlook beginning on the 6th.  Features 55-60% chance of above normal temperatures and the same chances for above normal precipitation.  It's a two outcome prediction so the chances of below normal temperatures is 40-45%. 

They note that the AO may go negative as early as mid-January if a SSW occurs.  They believe the dominant forcer will be the strong ElNino and are not putting too much weight into the MJO due to large uncertainty. 

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/WK34/

I totally agree that it is too early to give up on early January. I am invested in January 3 - 6.

The ECM/EPS runs may look much better tomorrow.  The joy of this hobby is like the weather in New England. "If you don't like it, wait 10 minutes and it will change".................

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Maybe we're looking for different things.  image.thumb.png.0772f65fccef6e2e8e079a2699cf95e7.pngimage.thumb.png.7c108930d731d09dad22b4082275dcc6.pngimage.thumb.png.35a84dcca67a813496ed8a8ef245e83c.pngimage.thumb.png.8252c89726ec9eced2b2e73b257920d6.png

Thanks, but Yes, we are looking for different things. My comment said "no significant winter weather".

This is all subject to monumental change, but at the point in reference,  I don't consider .2 inch of snow to be significant.

image.thumb.png.5a4cedc516874f2287c3632b49f5257b.png

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thanks, sometimes I really wonder what some people are look at!

We should have at least some chances in the first week of January.

We're looking at what the model or ensemble says at a given point in time.

We are not fantasizing about what some people dream of.

Sure, we have good chances in early January.  Be patient, wait until tomorrow, the model of your choice may look better.    Don't condemn today because it doesn't satisfy your wishes.

8 minutes ago, stormy said:

We're looking at what the model or ensemble says at a given point in time.

We are not fantasizing about what some people dream of.

Sure, we have good chances in early January.  Be patient, wait until tomorrow, the model of your choice may look better.    Don't condemn today because it doesn't satisfy your wishes.

Are you looking at literally anything besides the snow map?

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Are you looking at literally anything besides the snow map?

Oh sure.  I often look at the 500 mb height anomaly, 500 mb windspeed, Surface temp., 850 mb. temp, 850 mb. run to run change, mslp precip. 6n hr., prob. mslp - 1005hpa. among others depending on availability. 

To make a long story short, the 12z Euro package was not excited today through Jan. 5 regarding any significant wintry threat.   Tomorrow, it might explode!

• Weenie 4

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Thanks, but Yes, we are looking for different things. My comment said "no significant winter weather".

This is all subject to monumental change, but at the point in reference,  I don't consider .2 inch of snow to be significant.

image.thumb.png.5a4cedc516874f2287c3632b49f5257b.png

No snark, a 24 hour snow mean on day 15 of an ensemble is about the worst tool to use to identify potential 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

No snark, a 24 hour snow mean on day 15 of an ensemble is about the worst tool to use to identify potential 

Hey, guess what, we agree! 

For the past 2 hrs., I have been rather foolishly grilled because I simply told the truth about the Euro package today.    Many folks seem to be very protective of their desires which is rather juvenile.  As long as others support their dreams, everything is wonderful. Unfortunately that is not the reality of life.

In truth, life can be a bitch and then you die.

Hopefully, the 00z run of the EPS gives D.C. 12 inches of snow on the 5th.

Have a good night and as always, I appreciate your opinion.