• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate-High Impact Storm Noon Sun Dec 17, 2023 - 4PM Mon Dec 18. Flooding rain I95 corridor northwestward, coastal tidal flooding, brief periods of damaging 50 MPH+ wind gusts LI/CT Monday, ends as a little wet snow interior elevations Tue morning.

wdrag

4 hours ago, uofmiami said:

StormTotalQPF_SFC.thumb.png.ebe27ad8890ab19e9f939f21a2c0d09d.png

The NWS did this to us once. They said "Oh, no big deal. just a couple inches of rain." Then Manhattan got obliterated with 6 inches of rain in 2 hours. We are going to get hit hard and Upton, as per usual, is going on the conservative side. 

What's interesting with this NAM run (I know, NAM) is that the N stream follow up wave closes off at hr84 over WV. If that was to stay closed off and roll south of us, that's the one way we can see a possibly snowy outcome. Otherwise it would probably be just some rain/snow squalls. 

I'm more concerned about winds here and near the coast if the track is through central PA as most models have now and it's a strong 980mb type system. Doesn't look like really any inversion to stop the winds transferring to the ground and we'll have heavy rain bands to help as well. If the low is closer to the coast there'll be more rain but the big winds stay offshore.

9 minutes ago, TriPol said:

The NWS did this to us once. They said "Oh, no big deal. just a couple inches of rain." Then Manhattan got obliterated with 6 inches of rain in 2 hours. We are going to get hit hard and Upton, as per usual, is going on the conservative side. 

If the low goes well west of us we won't see heavy training rain like we saw last time. We'll have heavy rain bands to a dryslot while the steadier rain goes near the low track. This isn't tropical and Ida also didn't track well west of NYC.

24 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

What's interesting with this NAM run (I know, NAM) is that the N stream follow up wave closes off at hr84 over WV. If that was to stay closed off and roll south of us, that's the one way we can see a possibly snowy outcome. Otherwise it would probably be just some rain/snow squalls. 

I'm more concerned about winds here and near the coast if the track is through central PA as most models have now and it's a strong 980mb type system. Doesn't look like really any inversion to stop the winds transferring to the ground and we'll have heavy rain bands to help as well. If the low is closer to the coast there'll be more rain but the big winds stay offshore.

This one has juice. There was a niño storm in December 94, that split one of the big silver maples in my parents house back yard. Similar track, and winds roared, probably 70+. Lots of trees down on the south shore. I was young but one of the underrated events I remember. 

1 hour ago, TriPol said:

Flash flood watch, high wind warnings everywhere according to the GFS. This is going to be a storm to remember.

I’m going with sustained winds 25-35 gusts 40-50 on the coast. Yo just don’t see winds much higher than that very often outside of a tropical system 

• wdrag changed the title to Moderate-High Impact Storm Noon Sun Dec 17, 2023 - 4PM Mon Dec 18. Flooding rain I95 corridor northwestward, coastal tidal flooding, brief periods of damaging 50 MPH+ wind gusts LI/CT Monday, ends as a little wet snow interior elevations Tue morning.

Well, at least the front storm will occur, albeit further west than anticipated in the Wednesday morning (13th) thread issuance.  Title update to hopefully more accurately reflect the expected reality. Added damaging wind gusts-squalls to the tags and general timing/wind gust restrictions. Still lots to be determined but for those who want nothing burger <3" of rain...you probably will get that if you live LI. I think best chance of 3-5" 24 hour rainfall is along and west of the eventual path of the storm probably just inland a few miles from I95. Squalls however may change your mind about value of lead time, with power outage potential anywhere near and east of NYC including CT. Of interest to me is the max gust potential in the 4A-10A Monday time frame with squalls,  but the backside westerly on eastern LI maybe just as powerful in the early afternoon.   Power outages always very hard to predict, predicated on sodden ground and/or wind gusts but I suspect a fair amount of those LI/CT.

Should be a bit of a difficult commute. If you have to work, recommend leave early and also plan for some airline delays Monday. 

Snow mixed a bit with the cold frontal rain showers Tuesday morning, only sticks I84 corridor high terrain where 0.1-1" expected.  

Please note late Wed-Friday (20-22) morning for LI/CT eastward... There will be another ocean storm developing Wed-Thu that could graze LI/CT with a little snow-rain. Models are temporarily going back to that, but timing is beyond the fairly powerful event coming up Monday morning and not the primary reason for this thread.  Thanks for your patience with this. 618 AM/16

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

GFS forecast soundings only have a weak inversion in place out in Suffolk. So stronger convection could potentially tap the 950 mb winds which are around 63KT or 72 mph in gusts near the shoreline. Even the surface sustained winds are around 40KT or 47 mph. 

F2E0A0BA-F45B-4432-A233-BA2E02D3301F.thumb.jpeg.b810708676f2b14486ebdbd6de6ba2f1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

GFS forecast soundings only have a weak inversion in place out in Suffolk. So stronger convection could potentially tap the 950 mb winds which are around 63KT or 72 mph in gusts near the shoreline. Even the surface sustained winds are around 40KT or 47 mph. 

F2E0A0BA-F45B-4432-A233-BA2E02D3301F.thumb.jpeg.b810708676f2b14486ebdbd6de6ba2f1.jpeg

That is similar to the event about 3 weeks ago. Jones Beach was reporting sustained of 46mph for about an hour or two.

• Rjay unpinned this topic