• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2023/24 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

Been focusing so much on the storm systems kinda forgot about all the cold coming down for next weekend and beyond.  The western sub may have a hard time getting above zero for highs Sunday the 14th.  Good chance at -teens early the following week.  Gonna be a cold slap in the face after the recent warmth we've had going back through December.

Whatever snow falls across the sub will be around for awhile it seems.

• Like 3

I can only speak for myself, I haven't seen too much trash talking the Euro other than stebos comment and my response. Basically, years ago the Euro used to be the far superior model and recently it seems to not be. Not that it's extra bad or anything, but it's not that juggernaut it once was.
I think it's a relative thing. The Euro is still the best model but the other models are better than they were due to computing power. Back when these forums got popular, the Euro was much better across the board, so even if it had similar or more fails, the other models had fewer successes.

Another aspect I think of with modeling is the minor drawback of much higher resolution. In complex patterns with multiple moving parts, the error introduced by a higher resolution depictions can multiply in a way that may result in somewhat less stability run to run, such as what we were used to seeing with the Euro.

Since the ensemble members themselves are higher resolution, they may be affected as well. I'm speculating, but perhaps this is an issue with the guidance being phase happy, or with handling convection at times?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

I think it's a relative thing. The Euro is still the best model but the other models are better than they were due to computing power. Back when these forums got popular, the Euro was much better across the board, so even if it had similar or more fails, the other models had fewer successes.

Another aspect I think of with modeling is the minor drawback of much higher resolution. In complex patterns with multiple moving parts, the error introduced by a higher resolution depictions can multiply in a way that may result in somewhat less stability run to run, such as what we were used to seeing with the Euro.

Since the ensemble members themselves are higher resolution, they may be affected as well. I'm speculating, but perhaps this is an issue with the guidance being phase happy, or with handling convection at times?

Fan view.Euro rode on rep. In my time, I've never seen it support it's accolades.

7 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Thanks! And I agree, high resolution/convection can put unrealistic amounts during snow squalls or thunderstorms.

8 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Yep, this is exactly what I was talking about. The lack of smoothing because everything is ultra concise, you can sometimes amplify errors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yep, this is exactly what I was talking about. The lack of smoothing because everything is ultra concise, you can sometimes amplify errors.

The classic butterfly effect. 

I also think that the Euro had a couple big wins way back that then pumped its rep. We seem to remember the wins on the big storms and forget the misses, so it was easy to hold it to its "king" moniker. Now that the competition has caught up, its deficiencies become glaring. 

Will be real interesting to see which model handles the upcoming storm the best.

• Like 2

Just now, SchaumburgStormer said:

The classic butterfly effect. 

I also think that the Euro had a couple big wins way back that then pumped its rep. We seem to remember the wins on the big storms and forget the misses, so it was easy to hold it to its "king" moniker. Now that the competition has caught up, its deficiencies become glaring. 

Will be real interesting to see which model handles the upcoming storm the best.

I think that back in the day it was much better and people remember the wins, but it never really got much better since then while the GFS has actually gotten much better over time.

Just now, Stebo said:

I think that back in the day it was much better and people remember the wins, but it never really got much better since then while the GFS has actually gotten much better over time.

Yeah, I just still have a bitter taste for the winter after the GFS "upgrade" recently where it was a steaming pile of dogshit. It gave me trust issues, lol

• Like 3

We'll have to wait and see how these two storms this week turn out but wow at the modeling a week plus out showing the possible solution to both storms and ensembles mostly staying the course for both storms. Models have really come a long way.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Hopefully we get a couple three weeks of this and it doesn't disappear as quickly as it came.  

I would plan a couple weeks active;  then it will back off and a period of calmer/warmer (as we roll through the undesired MJO phases); then an active February (the question is where GL/OV or MA/EC or both).

39 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ideally MA/EC for those of us in eastern GL. 

It would be fun to get one of those double barrel systems with a strong easterly flow that push a ton of Atlantic moisture our way.  Or maybe another 1993 Superstorm with a track shifted westward up the Spine of the Appalachian mountains.   One can dream right. :popcorn:

• Like 1

On 1/7/2024 at 10:49 PM, cyclone77 said:

Been focusing so much on the storm systems kinda forgot about all the cold coming down for next weekend and beyond.  The western sub may have a hard time getting above zero for highs Sunday the 14th.  Good chance at -teens early the following week.  Gonna be a cold slap in the face after the recent warmth we've had going back through December.

Whatever snow falls across the sub will be around for awhile it seems.

The 12z Euro has us subzero for 72 hours straight here - Sun morn to Wed morn. The cold is not quite as sharp on the GFS but longer lasting with single digits starting late Sat. night and that or colder extending the sensible length of the run from there. Even the EPS shows us falling into negatives during the day on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/9/2024 at 6:24 AM, Spartman said:

Have yet to record a 1+" daily snowfall of the season as of January 8th. Hate to see that continue well through January, despite a cold outbreak coming next week.
sn10_acc-imp.us_mw.png

Interesting. 5th longest streak on record, and longest since the official records have been taken at DAY airport (see below). Looks like it should move into 4th place for sure, maybe third. It would probably be difficult to get another two weeks without 1"+ snowfall on a calendar day to move into second place with the current pattern.

Some missing data for the early years, especially the #1 streak, so it might be inflated. But I think that's just some summer months where snowfall wasn't reported and the algorithm interprets that as missing data - but there could be some missing winter data in there as well.

image.png.69b330da452a4d1aa6289273a57ec374.png

12 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

My favorite thing in the world is these random twitter thread posted here with minimal explanation as to how they would modify sensible weather in the midwest. 

Chat GPT posting habits (I know my posts are also low value but bruh)

7 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Interesting. 5th longest streak on record, and longest since the official records have been taken at DAY airport (see below). Looks like it should move into 4th place for sure, maybe third. It would probably be difficult to get another two weeks without 1"+ snowfall on a calendar day to move into second place with the current pattern.

Some missing data for the early years, especially the #1 streak, so it might be inflated. But I think that's just some summer months where snowfall wasn't reported and the algorithm interprets that as missing data - but there could be some missing winter data in there as well.

image.png.69b330da452a4d1aa6289273a57ec374.png

Yeah, I just confirmed that 1918-1919 is the only winter without a calendar day snowfall of 1" or greater at DAY. The maximum was 0.6" on a couple of occasions. Of course, this was when observations were still downtown, which is a couple/few hundred feet lower in elevation than the more suburban airport site. Also, snow measuring techniques were different than today [no snowboard/clearing]. Regardless, a top 4 streak looks to be a near certainty.