Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Panic Room - Winter 23/24 Edition

mappy

10 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Took a peek at the weekly control for fun.

How does this 30 day mean

IMG_0487.thumb.png.7435983e4cf325bd3a5280a781c9dfbe.png
lead to this 

IMG_0488.thumb.png.aaf5ce7e46d0393195cc0b59b6357026.png

Huh...red flag? Like I said...such a rapid deterioration of snow climo even up to Boston would be crazy to see...like somebody just flipped a switch as opposed it happening gradually. Seeing this helps keep the expectations sober...

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

What it really said is “I’ll take a shot at forecasting the weather beyond Saturday but I’m likely not even close”

I feel like things have been pretty well sniffed out about a week in advance. The last two big rainers were well known the week prior. 

After the storm on the 27th I feel like there is not much value wringing hands. If we get to Christmas and the next 7 days still look like poo, time to hit the egg nog hard. 

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

I speak for all of the uninformed people on here who barely know how the atmosphere works when I say: if I don't start seeing digital snow accumulations within 240 hours on the first model that loads on tropical tidbits soon, I'm going to PANIC

I think this is the difference between myself and the long range thread people. They're interested in the process, but I'm interested in the results.

While not 2015 levels of warmth, 60*F is beginning to look achievable for DC and close in suburbs for xmas eve / day.  

Depressing as this is, most recent examples here do roll forward to a somewhat pronounced and sustained flip into January.  Unfortunately, it also sets the stage once again (similar to 2021-22) when the xmas holiday period and memorial day holiday weekend to see legitamately inverted absolute temperature values.  Meaning, the average high at the lowest sun period of the year exceeding the average high for nearly the highest sun period of the entire year, for some meaningful period of time.

• Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, RIC_WX said:

While not 2015 levels of warmth, 60*F is beginning to look achievable for DC and close in suburbs for xmas eve / day.  

Depressing as this is, most recent examples here do roll forward to a somewhat pronounced and sustained flip into January.  Unfortunately, it also sets the stage once again (similar to 2021-22) when the xmas holiday period and memorial day holiday weekend to see legitamately inverted absolute temperature values.  Meaning, the average high at the lowest sun period of the year exceeding the average high for nearly the highest sun period of the entire year, for some meaningful period of time.

What you're really trying to say is that DC is the new Richmond...and I agree.

• Like 1

The subtropical jetstream field is north MEX into FL across the Gulf of Mexico.

Another atmospheric river is smashing right into Mexico. Better look out East Coast, here comes another anomalously strong storm right up the Eastern Seaboard. Its gonna pick up a frightening amount of moisture from the Golfo de Mexico, then smash all hell out of North Florida again, then demolish the southeast then the Mid Atlantic! DEJA VU!!!!!!!!

Texas does not even get a drop.

Enjoy the Nino, Mid Atlantic. The subtropical jet IS a BEAST for you all! I was damned RIGHT about that after all. What I need to get straight, is that this is going to be an absolutely anomalously DRY low sun period for Texas.

If you are tired of storms, come see us in Austin! Wall to wall sunshine, highs in the 60s/70s and light southerly winds. Thats our delightful winter forecast! Just picked two of the most juicy, SHWEET figs off our 9 foot tall fig tree! I'll keep on watering it as long as the water table holds out. But it is dry as a martini down here!

15 minutes ago, Siberian-Snowcover-Myth said:

Rain all the way up in Maine on Jan6th. Where is this supposed pattern change we’ve been talking about since November????

IMG_7917.jpeg

It's the pac air. It has taken over the entire North American continent. East coast will get record rains from Nino, while places like the American Southwest will be bone dry. FOOKIN' pac jet!!!

17 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

At least you've come to reality lol

Yep, it was ers wxman that started my 12 step program back to grim reality.

I'm making progress. I dont think its going to snow anywhere in the conus, and

Texas will be dry as a martini thru at least 2026. We'll run out of water, and I'll perish.

Pacific air is firmly in control throughout the CONUS, and the 384 hour model runs are fantasy.

Once people begin to realize that January will be semizonal with mild and rain, Panic Room will get overcrowded literally overnight, such as this board has never seen! It's just eight years of really bad luck.

We all need a brand spanking new hobby.

I need to move to Cherrapunji, India soon. They have plenty of water.

Damn. I'm getting thirsty again.

I wish The Reaper were on the Job. I am thinking of jumping right off the Ledge again. If I do Jump, I want a Proper Reaping.

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, RIC_WX said:

New normal unfortunately. People are starting to come to grips with it. Our snow climo is going to be like Charlotte, NC in a few years.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

New normal unfortunately. People are starting to come to grips with it. Our snow climo is going to be like Charlotte, NC in a few years.

far be it from me to be optimistic.  However, the rationale for this years mini torch Xmas Eve/day seems to be the shifting of the pattern.  the rainstorm day later cutting west is pulling up warm air. Could happen even in the best of patterns at our latitude without a deep wedge over NY state.  That storm cuts west feeds the trough to the NE that drives a change as it looks in my eyes.  To me, thats easier to swallow rather than the sustained WAR, -PNA, +NAO death combo with no end insight kind of deal we had last winter because it seems that things could get better if these ensemble means have legs.  If not, then we are fooked with no lubricant once again.  If our climate is Charlotte in a few years imagine how weenies in Charlotte feel....they are looking at JAX climate.  Which means Florida will boil in its own pudding.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic