Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

33 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I’d say 10+F  anomalies classify a torch. GEFS had 70% probs for 10+ anomalies. So it’s there especially next Thursday through Sunday. 

IMG_1998.png

There is a 3-5 day window starting Friday or Saturday of temps in the 60’s to near 70. They can pretend they don’t see it or it’s not real.. but it’s there in guidance 

• Like 1

That signal for anomalous warmth the second half of next week is very real and I would say is quite high on the confidence level. When looking that far out and dealing with the potential for something rather anomalous, and in this case warmth, you want to look very closely what is going on across eastern Canada and the northwestern Atlantic northeast of Maine. In this case there doesn't seem to be any high to our northeast which would yield the potential for CAD and there is no high off to our north to dampen the rising heights. Looks pretty favorable for an anomalous S/SW llvl flow to become established well into eastern Canada as the week progresses. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It won't be near 70 for 5 days. Calm down.

It was also T-day week that started this discussion. 

The warmup around 11/15-16 has been pretty well-advertised for over a week now. What happens after about 11/20 is the bigger question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I’d say 10+F  anomalies classify a torch. GEFS had 70% probs for 10+ anomalies. So it’s there especially next Thursday through Sunday. 

IMG_1998.png

I think 5+ for something like a monthly average is a torch but agree that daily anomalies 10+ is torchy. 

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was also T-day week that started this discussion. 

The warmup around 11/15-16 has been pretty well-advertised for over a week now. What happens after about 11/20 is the bigger question. 

Looks like it starts to change closer to T-Day or a bit sooner. Probably wouldn't rush it though. But it could be a messy warmer period depending where the high is and how any lows progress over us. 

17 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

And for the tropical watchers I’d just be wary of the GFS. Environment looks conducive but the GFS has a well documented false positive signal for Caribbean development. 

it's a little bit sensitive as a guidance tool for 'CAG' -related emergence.  

GGEM used to be this way back in the day ...circa 2002  ( man that seems like yesterday and it was 21 years a-fuggin go)..   But I've noticed these latter renditions of the GFS is 'sort of' the same way.  The canonical Central American Gyre tends to muscle up in autumns as a normal climate feature, but the models spit TC and or hybrid circulations out of it more sensitively than actually happens.

Then some years you get your Opals.   I wonder if Sandy was a CAG cane?  I think that was a late MDR wave but I'm not sure.

So yeah.. for now I'm not really taking that seriously but will still reserve a place at the table in deference to climate. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm sure there were records from Chief Massasoit claiming snow burying totem poles.

First Thanksgiving was mild....you gotta wonder if the Pilgrams were throwing their crates and wagons against the rocks in anger.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I had some IP this AM...joy.

Back to writing.

No drinks near the laptop this time.

Years ago I spilled a 40 on my laptop. I also spilled Red Bull and Jager on I think the same laptop.

EDIT: Nevermind....I didn't spill those on laptops, I spilled them on a keyboard. I had desktop back then

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

honestly I'm fine with it... mod-strong ENSO Decembers are warm, so it's what should be expected anyway

‘09 and ‘02 weren’t. But yeah it wouldn’t be surprising. They do start to look good closer to Xmas week but obviously anything beyond about 3 weeks is like throwing darts

image.png.35d57240e82c5bcc68c14a7263d13730.png

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

‘09 and ‘02 weren’t. But yeah it wouldn’t be surprising. They do start to look good closer to Xmas week but obviously anything beyond about 3 weeks is like throwing darts

image.png.35d57240e82c5bcc68c14a7263d13730.png

yeah it won't be an abject torch with the propensity for AK ridging. i just think that most of the cold will be in the W US in December. if we get some blocking somehow, that's a different story. the weeklies are advertising a weak SPV so that may help

Thu 09 Nov 2023

2 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

GYX forecast goes out to next Thursday and has my town at 49/29 that day, which would be more like 47/25 at my frost pocket place.  Normal here for 11/16 is 42/24 so that forecast would be +3.

"Torch" varies by season of course.  10+ in July would certainly fit the term and might set some daily records.  In January 10° AN might mean a big snowstorm here.  IMO, Met winter torch threshold should be 20+, and maybe 15+ in SNE.