• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
wdrag

Down to 26 here. Chilly mornings. 

Love it. Nothing wakes me up and gets me ready to start the day like a shot of cold, fresh air in the morning. 

I remember we had a very strong cold shot around Nov 19-20 last year and I hit teens overnight. But before that I don’t remember hitting 20’s consistently. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

was there a particular reason people are weenie'ing forky i mean is that result on the table here or not

what result? a winter like 1997? perhaps, but favorable winters also had cold novembers. there's just as much of a chance that NYC sees 40-50" as 10" this year IMO

people weenied because of the obvious rage bait lmao

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

We had a couple 3 to 6" storms every winter

One or two, yes. but 86, 88, 89 I don't remember anything significant. You can count the decent storms.....2 in 1982, one in 1983, one in 1987....come to think of it, 79,80, and 81 were all lean as well. It really wasn't til late 93 that we began to see big snows again. Truthfully, if I never have to break out the snowblower again, I'm ok with that. It's just that winter weather still kinda sucks around here when it is a drizzly sulk, and it is still too cold to do anything else.

7 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

what result? a winter like 1997? perhaps, but favorable winters also had cold novembers. there's just as much of a chance that NYC sees 40-50" as 10" this year IMO

people weenied because of the obvious rage bait lmao

Based on what i have seen over the years, for the most part, I don't expect a lot of snow in an El Nino year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

One or two, yes. but 86, 88, 89 I don't remember anything significant. You can count the decent storms.....2 in 1982, one in 1983, one in 1987....come to think of it, 79,80, and 81 were all lean as well. It really wasn't til late 93 that we began to see big snows again. Truthfully, if I never have to break out the snowblower again, I'm ok with that. It's just that winter weather still kinda sucks around here when it is a drizzly sulk, and it is still too cold to do anything else.

85-86 had 2 in Feb, Jan 88 had 2. Jan 89 another. All were snow days for me. Not huge storms by any means but certainly plowable. Before 82 I don't remember but 79 had the big president's day storm

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 80 (1993) latest 80 degree reading
NYC: 80 (1993) latest 80 for NYC aswell
LGA:  80 (1993) latest 80 for LGA as well

Lows:

EWR: 18 (1933) earliest reading in the teens
NYC: 20 (1967)
LGA: 22 (1967)

Historical:

1900 - A record lake-effect snowstorm at Watertown, NY, produced 45 inches in 24 hours. The storm total was 49 inches. (14th-15th) (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1967 - A surprise snow and ice coating paralyzed Boston during the evening rush hour. (David Ludlum)

1987 - Thunderstorms spawned twenty-two tornadoes in eastern Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. A tornado moving out of northeastern Texas killed one person and injured ninety-six others around Shreveport LA causing more than five million dollars damage. Tornadoes in Texas claimed ten lives, and injured 191 persons. A tornado caused more than nineteen million dollars damage around Palestine TX. Severe thunderstorms spawned eighteen tornadoes in Mississippi and seven in Georgia the next day, and thunderstorms in southeastern Texas produced wind gusts to 102 mph at Galveston, and wind gusts to 110 mph at Bay City, killing one person. There were a total of forty-nine tornadoes in the south central U.S. in two days. The tornadoes claimed eleven lives, injured 303 persons, and caused more than seventy million dollars damage. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather from Oklahoma and northeastern Texas to northern Indiana and southern Wisconsin from mid morning through the pre-dawn hours of the following day. Thunderstorms spawned forty-four tornadoes, including thirteen in Missouri, and there were more than two hundred reports of large hail or damaging winds. A tornado in central Arkansas hit Scott and Lonoke killing five people, injuring sixty others, and causing fifteen million dollars damage. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - A tornado hit Southside, AR, killing one person, injuring ten others, and causing more than two million dollars damage, and a tornado near Clarksville AR injured nine persons and caused more than two million dollars damage. A tornado moving through the southwest part of Topeka KS injured twenty-two persons and caused nearly four million dollars damage. A tornado near Jane MO killed one person and injured twelve others, and a tornado moving across the southwest part of O'Fallon MO injured ten persons. Severe thunderstorms also produced hail three and a half inches in diameter east of Denison TX, and wind gusts to 85 mph at Kirksville MO. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Thunderstorms developing along a powerful cold front began to produce severe weather in the Middle Mississippi Valley before sunrise, and by early the next morning thunderstorms had spawned seventeen tornadoes east of the Mississippi River, with a total of 350 reports of severe weather. There were one hundred reports of damaging winds in Georgia, and five tornadoes, and there were another four tornadoes in Alabama. Hardest hit was Huntsville AL where a violent tornado killed 21 persons, injured 463 others, and caused one hundred million dollars damage. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Thunderstorms in Kentucky produced hail three inches in diameter in Grayson County, and wind gusts to 110 mph at Flaherty. Thunderstorms produced severe weather in the eastern U.S. through the morning and afternoon hours. Severe thunderstorms spawned 23 tornadoes, and there were 164 reports of damaging winds. There were fourteen tornadoes in New Jersey, central and eastern New York, and eastern Pennsylvania, and 122 reports of damaging winds. A tornado at Coldenham NY killed nine school children and injured eighteen others, and thunderstorm winds gusted to 100 mph at Malvern PA. Thunderstorms spawned a total of thirty-nine tornadoes east of Great Plains in two days, and there 499 reports of large hail and damaging winds. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1996: An intense, lake effect snow event came to an end over western New York, northeastern Ohio, and northwest Pennsylvania. Chardon, Ohio was buried under 68.9 of snow over a six-day period. Edinboro, Pennsylvania checked in with 54.8 inches. 18.5 inches blanketed Cleveland, Ohio and 42 inches fell at Sherman, New York.

2005 - Severe thunderstorms produced over 30 tornadoes in 6 states, resulting in one fatality and at least 35 injuries (Associated Press). Some of the worst damage occurred in Henry county, Tennessee, where numerous homes and businesses were damaged or destroyed.

2006 - Strong winds cause severe damage at a skating rink in Montgomery, Alabama where more than 30 preschoolers were playing. Two children suffered injuries but there were no fatalities.

• Like 1