Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter 2023

George BM

3 hours ago, TowsonTownT said:

This year sure was fun while it lasted, but the team knew they weren't going to go far the minute the trade deadline passed without the top shelf pitching needed to survive the inevitable slumps at the bat. If the team wants to make deeper runs in the next few years they will need to spend big on pitching while all their stud bats are on their rookie contracts.

I'm not sure JA is willing to spend money.

We went from Ownership touting an Astos blue print at the beginning of the rebuild  to a Rays blue print now. That's a 100 million dollar a season different in payroll lol.

Not saying they need to be in the top 3rd of the league in payroll but they shouldn't be bottom 5 either 

10 hours ago, CAPE said:

A long break between the wildcard and Divisional rounds is proving to be a disadvantage for the 'better' teams. Not normal for baseball players to have 5 days off. Didn't  have that with a one game wildcard. Dodgers are on the brink.

There’s been a lot of discussion about this, but somebody made the point that if the top seeds had their choice of playing in the WC round or having a bye, they’d take the rest and the bye 100% of the time.

12 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There’s been a lot of discussion about this, but somebody made the point that if the top seeds had their choice of playing in the WC round or having a bye, they’d take the rest and the bye 100% of the time.

The core problem is in baseball the 162 game season is supposed to mean something. It's becoming like the NCAA tournament, with too many teams being 'invited'. Maybe something between what we have now and the old days when the 2 league winners after the marathon season went straight to the world series. Unfortunately it will likely go the other way, because $$$. Get used to mediocre teams with 83 wins beating 100+ win teams in a short series. Baseball is quirky- even bad teams can have a 10 game winning streak.

• Like 1

Any playoff tournament is going to have some freak outcomes. Most people like that because it’s exciting! At least this time it was clear the rangers were the better team, for this weekend. In 2014 the damn royals blooped and dinky-dunked their way to the World Series and that hurt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Any playoff tournament is going to have some freak outcomes. Most people like that because it’s exciting! At least this time it was clear the rangers were the better team, for this weekend. In 2014 the damn royals blooped and dinky-dunked their way to the World Series and that hurt.

Right! And then instead of winning the WS they got Giants even-yeared, lol Yeah I'll never forget all them dang cheap runs

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

The core problem is in baseball the 162 game season is supposed to mean something. It's becoming like the NCAA tournament, with too many teams being 'invited'. Maybe something between what we have now and the old days when the 2 league winners after the marathon season went straight to the world series. Unfortunately it will likely go the other way, because $$$. Get used to mediocre teams with 83 wins beating 100+ win teams in a short series. Baseball is quirky- even bad teams can have a 10 game winning streak.

Like you said, all about the money. Some leagues almost half the teams make the playoffs, and the playoffs seem to last for months. Whats the point of the regular season? More games, more money, more gambling, YAY! :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

NBA regular season means nothing.

I don't think there's a right answer for how many teams should make the postseason.  The main reason for the play-in games in the NBA is to avoid tanking for high lottery picks (like the Lebron's and Wemby's of the world), though with the amount of parity increasing, lottery picks may not matter as much as they once did which could make the play-in games a bit "extra".

As for baseball, I think it's fine as-is.  I certainly thought having only 2 from each league make the playoffs back in the day was a little weird, but maybe 4 was good enough.  That said, if you get swept in a best of 5 after having a small break to rest aches and pains (which any athlete would appreciate), then you're just not ready to win it all.

18 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I don't think there's a right answer for how many teams should make the postseason.  The main reason for the play-in games in the NBA is to avoid tanking for high lottery picks (like the Lebron's and Wemby's of the world), though with the amount of parity increasing, lottery picks may not matter as much as they once did which could make the play-in games a bit "extra".

As for baseball, I think it's fine as-is.  I certainly thought having only 2 from each league make the playoffs back in the day was a little weird, but maybe 4 was good enough.  That said, if you get swept in a best of 5 after having a small break to rest aches and pains (which any athlete would appreciate), then you're just not ready to win it all.

The main reason for the play-in games is money.  A bunch of meaningless late season games between mediocre teams can be hyped as having playoff implications.  The "less tanking" explanation makes no sense to me.  If you are going to tank for better lottery odds, you are still going to tank irrespective of the carrot of a chance at backing your way into the playoffs as the #10 team in your conference.  

8 hours ago, hstorm said:

The main reason for the play-in games is money.  A bunch of meaningless late season games between mediocre teams can be hyped as having playoff implications.  The "less tanking" explanation makes no sense to me.  If you are going to tank for better lottery odds, you are still going to tank irrespective of the carrot of a chance at backing your way into the playoffs as the #10 team in your conference.  

I sent an idea to the NBA about 6 years ago which would help avoid tanking.  Instead of having the crap lottery where nobody sees the actual lottery until they put the teams in the envelopes, they could have a tournament to decide who gets the top pick.  Every team who misses the playoffs is in the tournament.  If you win, you get the first pick, come in second, you get the second pick, etc.....

This would force the teams who tank to have to play to get the first pick and give those teams fighting for a playoff spot the change for it as well.  It would also give a few more games to those non-playoff teams and give their fans something to pull for even though their team can't win a title. It's not the perfect solution, but takes the opportunity for the NBA to just give the first pick to whoever they want to, which is probably what happens now.

1 hour ago, aldie 22 said:

Disappointed the Twins couldn't get one at home but the crowd was electric and that game was tense and fun last night. Good luck to the other teams still playing...Arizona is an intriguing team.

Breaking the playoff losing streaks was the best we could really hope for this season.  Need some better plate discipline next year.  Leading the majors in Ks and then striking out 14 times in an elimination game was foreseeable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Anybody got a trick on how to get tree sap to wash off a car without damaging the paint or clear coat?

Hot water is a great solvent. Its all I use anymore to clean bugs and tar etc. off the paint on my Jeep. Why buy some gross chemical product if it isn't necessary. And they mostly don't work very well.

6 hours ago, CAPE said:

Drinking a Flying Dog 'The Fear' Imperial Pumpkin ale for HH. Best of the Fall/pumpkin beers imo. Has depth and complexity. Most are thin with annoying spice flavors of one kind or another in an attempt to make it taste like pumpkin pie. Very few get it right.

I haven’t brewed in awhile, but that was my favorite pumpkin clone to try to imitate.

Went to Heavy Seas tonight for the first time in forever and they’re doing some big beers that are pretty good!

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 10:35 PM, hstorm said:

It's subjective...obviously, the play-in tourney needs to make money, but basketball only has 5 guys taking the floor from each team.  It's not like football or baseball.  For many years, it was a superstar league and kind of still is, though now because the game is global the talent pool is off the charts and you almost need 2 or 3 stars, so a lot of the anti-tanking rules (like how they smoothed out the lottery odds for the worst teams) may end up being overkill.  I think a lot of these discussions show who's a true fan or not.  I love basketball, so the idea of a play-in tourney is like...cool, more hoops lol.  To casual fans, they may see it as watering down the season.

Now what's really getting ridiculous is all the conference re-alignments in college sports.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I actually know a fair bit about this.  This is the first S-Band phased-array mobile radar.  The beamwidth is quite wide because an S-band requires a huge antenna, but since it is mobile it can get closer to storms making the wide beam less relevant.  The phased-array aspect is amazing.  Every one of the individual elements that makes up the radar panel is technically a separate radar.  The panel spins mechanically but the tilting is done electronically.  So you can get a whole volume update on the time it takes to go 360 degrees.  It is almost a certainty that this technology is what the next NWS network will be.  The holdups right now are finding ways to make the dual-pol variables more robust and, of course, cost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic