Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

56 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Warms not bad...+10  in October is great weather.  In fact, I think you and I root for a warm Jan because that could still be snowy af; and no one likes sitting on a chair lift with -30 wind chills.  But the bs 360 warm anomaly, never going to snow again, winters over, cc is going to make NE Florida, CC is responsible for every warm up trolling gets old.   

I'll admit though, Nov 10th through about Dec 10th I hate the warmth as it delays the start of the season. That's one of the most important periods of ski season to get things going.

Thank you.  This is exactly it.  

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ok yeah the trolling for sure if that's what it is.  I just look at it like people are posting different things.  Get a 300hr snow map, get a 300hr torch map, whatever.  I guess I have been naive with how loaded the whole discussion has gotten.  I just like looking at the stats and seeing how we are going.  And it's been warm.  Not that it's good or bad or whatever.  Just is what it is.

It’s the trolling.  Can’t stomach it.  It hasn’t been that warm here lately, and it hasn’t been overly cold either…just mundane average autumn weather in a nutshell.  

BWT3650 hit the nail on the head.  And I have no issues with folks saying what they’ve been seeing in their area. So don’t think that.  But if folks from Jersey are gonna tell me how warm it’s gonna be in November, on October 19th…and how that somehow equates to a sub par winter, and all the other nonsense BS, I’m gonna push back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Since the first week's heat wave ended, high temps here have averaged in the mid-sixties, which is hardly extreme. Lows have averaged in the mid-fifties, which is quite a bit above average for this time of year. Altogether, it's been quite pleasant. It seems like GW has hit hardest with the low temps. Our highs are generally about the same as always, sometimes even a bit lower. That works for me. I'd take an average high of 30 in January and a low of 20. It would give us the same average as now but with more snow retention. At any rate, whining about the weather is useless since it never seems cathartic for those who have a habit of doing it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Since the first week's heat wave ended, high temps here have averaged in the mid-sixties, which is hardly extreme. Lows have averaged in the mid-fifties, which is quite a bit above average for this time of year. Altogether, it's been quite pleasant. It seems like GW has hit hardest with the low temps. Our highs are generally about the same as always, sometimes even a bit lower. That works for me. I'd take an average high of 30 in January and a low of 20. It would give us the same average as now but with more snow retention. At any rate, whining about the weather is useless since it never seems cathartic for those who have a habit of doing it.

We’ve had so many mornings in the low to mid 40’s here I lost count.  We’ve had more rain too than places further north and east of late, and thus cooler temps as a result.

Saturday afternoon it was steady rain and 51 degrees..hardly a torch.  Many days in the upper 50’s to low 60’s for highs. 

32 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s the trolling.  Can’t stomach it.  It hasn’t been that warm here lately, and it hasn’t been overly cold either…just mundane average autumn weather in a nutshell.  

BWT3650 hit the nail on the head.  And I have no issues with folks saying what they’ve been seeing in their area. So don’t think that.  But if folks from Jersey are gonna tell me how warm it’s gonna be in November, on October 19th…and how that somehow equates to a sub par winter, and all the other nonsense BS, I’m gonna push back.

Same routine by the same suspects on 3 message boards...gets old after 15 yrs of it...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I walked from my house to the chestnut hill legal sea foods to meet a friend for lunch who I haven’t seen in years.  Noticing some good color now along the way and I dare say peak on the banks of the Charles abutting the restaurant.

Yes, the foliage is rallying here too.  Starting to pop quite nicely in many spots…while certainty not a banner year by any means, we might have spoken a little too soon.  Nature trying hard to make it decent, as is the case in autumn more often than not. 

It surely won’t be as bad as we first anticipated it to be. 

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes, the foliage is rallying here too.  Starting to pop quite nicely in many spots…while certainty not a banner year by any means, we might have spoken a little too soon.  Nature trying hard to make it decent, as is the case in autumn more often than not. 

It surely won’t be as bad as we first anticipated it to be. 

I truly think people were just too early with the assessment.  We continue to get decent orange and yellow now in the understory, even after the crowns have lost many leaves.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I truly think people were just too early with the assessment.  We continue to get decent orange and yellow now in the understory, even after the crowns have lost many leaves.

Yeah same here too...we popped a bit more in the past 3-4 days and while I'd still classify it as a below average foliage year, it's not like a bottom 5 which is what it was starting to look like a week or two ago.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

GFS dreaming of a white...Halloween?? Shrooms in the algorithm FTL

Not with a high sitting over the Andrea Gail.

But it does look like a good cold shot just before Halloween, so some sort of marginal snow event isn't impossible. It's a semi-common time to see some sort of first snow in New England...usually interior and further north, but obviously it can happen over SNE too occasionally. Hell, just 3 years ago was a pretty robust event.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J Paul Gordon said:

First week's temp here: +10.  Since then, right on the average.

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was just thinking the same on my trip to the transfer station.  A lot of the late turners are looking good.

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah same here too...we popped a bit more in the past 3-4 days and while I'd still classify it as a below average foliage year, it's not like a bottom 5 which is what it was starting to look like a week or two ago.

Yes sir to both.