• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2023

wdrag

Already feeling those hints of frustration creeping in. It’s not a rational thing, it’s October, more PTSD. 

Not expecting a blockbuster winter but would like to see something approaching average for many of us. But if I have to look at maps of troughs dumping to Baja all winter again I’m going to run and jump into the nearest lava lake. I’m sure we’ll see periods with mixed Niño forcing, but still. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Already feeling those hints of frustration creeping in. It’s not a rational thing, it’s October, more PTSD. 

Not expecting a blockbuster winter but would like to see something approaching average for many of us. But if I have to look at maps of troughs dumping to Baja all winter again I’m going to run and jump into the nearest lava lake. I’m sure we’ll see periods with mixed Niño forcing, but still. 

I think the El Niño will be strong enough to reshuffle the pattern. Anything is better than what we have been seeing along the coast. Ninos come with an amped up southern stream, so we just need to time some cold and we can score. But I agree a wall to wall cold, blockbuster winter is almost impossible during a strong nino. 

• Like 3

56/48 off alow of 42.  Dry and ramp up warmer each day Tue (10/17)  -Thu (10/19).  Rain Fri (10/20) in this weekend  Sat (10/21).  Dry out Sun (10/22).  After quick cool down Ridge into the east by Tue /Wed  (10/25) through next week above to much above normalto close the month.  Longer range showing strong cool down into early Nov (first frosts/freezes) perhaps -Nov 2 - No 7.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think the El Niño will be strong enough to reshuffle the pattern. Anything is better than what we have been seeing along the coast. Ninos come with an amped up southern stream, so we just need to time some cold and we can score. But I agree a wall to wall cold, blockbuster winter is almost impossible during a strong nino. 

I’ll be more than happy with just one Nino winter storm bomb like Feb 1983, Jan 2016 or PDII in 2003. 2/5/10 would’ve been one for us too if the confluence was just a hair weaker. 

• Like 3

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 90 (1938) - Latest 90 degrees reading
NYC: 90 (1938) - latest 90 
LGA: 83 (2016) wonder what the reading in 1938 was?

Lows:

EWR: 29 (1937)
NYC: 33 (1886)
LGA: 38 (1970)

Historical:

1781 - General Cornwallis attempted to escape encirclement by crossing York River, "but a violent storm arose" dispersing his boats causing him to ask for an armistice. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

1910 - A hurricane made a loop off the southwest coast of Florida. Winds above 100 mph were reported at Fort Myers FL, and the barometric pressure at Sand Key reached 28.40 inches. (David Ludlum)

1950 - Small but powerful Hurricane King struck Miami, FL. The hurricane packs winded to 122 mph, with gusts to 150 mph. Hurricane King then moved up the Florida peninsula to Georgia. Four persons were killed and damage was 28 million dollars. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1971 - Great balls of fire were observed just ahead of a tornado moving down the main street of Wray CO. However, little other electrical activity accompanied the storm. Nine persons were injured in the tornado, all at a trailer court at the edge of town. (The Weather Channel)

1984 - A snowstorm struck northern Utah producing a record 18 inches in 24 hours at Salt Lake City, and 40 inches at the nearby Alta Ski Resort. The town of Magna, located ten miles west of Salt Lake City, did not receive any snow at all. The storm was responsible for a fifty vehicle pile-up along Interstate 15 near Farmington UT. (Storm Data)

1971: Great balls of fire were observed just ahead of a tornado moving down the main street of Wray, Colorado. However, little other electrical activity accompanied the storm. Nine people were injured in the storm, all at a trailer court at the edge of town.

1987 - It was a great day for an Oktoberfest, or to enjoy the colors of autumn, as much of the nation enjoyed sunny and mild weather. Columbia SC dipped to 34 degrees, marking their third morning in a row of record cold. Bakersfield CA reached 80 degrees for the 143rd day in a row to break a record established in 1940. (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather in the Middle Mississippi Valley and the Lower Ohio Valley. Severe thunderstorms spawned three tornadoes in Indiana, including one which injured four persons. Strong thunderstorm winds at Connerville IND caused three million dollars damage. Thunderstorms in Illinois produced hail two inches in diameter Colfax. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Showers and thunderstorms representing the remnants of Hurricane Jerry deluged southeast Kentucky with four to six inches of rain in 18 to 24 hours, resulting in widespread flash flooding. Flooding resulted in more than five million dollars damage. Temperatures again warmed into the 80s and lower 90s in the southeastern U.S. Lakeland FL and Orlando FL reported record highs of 95 degrees. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

4 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

About that rain...gfs looks totally different btw with the heaviest west 

qpf_acc-imp.us_ne (37).png

And 12z CMC gives us some showers on Friday but very little Saturday. We seem to be trending away from it being a significant event, although GFS is still bullish and obviously there's plenty of time for this to trend back to being a significant event. 

Just now, Rjay said:

+0.5-1 against the highest normals ever. 

Well thats where we reside. I mean the whole country is warm and Ninos arent particularly cold around here. Usually mild and wet with a good storm or two. For the life of me I dont know why so many on this forum have been rooting for one…not that rooting for weather matters much.

1 minute ago, the_other_guy said:

Well thats where we reside. I mean the whole country is warm and Ninos arent particularly cold around here. Usually mild and wet with a good storm or two. For the life of me I dont know why so many on this forum have been rooting for one…not that rooting for weather matters much.

A lot of our largest snow storms have been during el ninos.   I used to have a nice chart downloaded on my phone that listed our historic storms in each category (nino vs nina vs neutral).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1