• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Lee--Glorified Nor'Easter or Legit Tropical? Near Miss or Direct Hit?

WxWatcher007

The number of strong wind events the Cape goes through each year gives them lots of practice.  There will be issues but probably manageable by Cape standards.

Exactly it’s blows +40mph here multiple times a year.

What we aren’t accustomed to is hurricanes or at least we haven’t been for a long time. Was just speaking to my uncle about his and my parents parents remembering 38… for a while they took every subsequent tropical/ hurricane event very seriously. But slowly but surely every year since there’s been less and less of a concern or worry about hurricanes. NEnglanders overall are no longer prepared for big storms like our friends in FL

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Childude645 said:

What we aren’t accustomed to is hurricanes or at least we haven’t been for a long time. Was just speaking to my uncle about his and my parents parents remembering 38… for a while they took every subsequent tropical/ hurricane event very seriously. But slowly but surely every year since there’s been less and less of a concern or worry about hurricanes. NEnglanders overall are no longer prepared for big storms like our friends in FL

It's been over 30yrs since hurricane Bob.

1 hour ago, Childude645 said:

Yep... 38 is almost impossible to envision based on our recent past.  My father lived through 38 in central CT and he recalled in very stark terms what the damage looked like...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, WeatherHappens said:

It's been over 30yrs since hurricane Bob.

My first memories. Generators, steak on the grill, and seeing pine trees swaying and snapping in my grandparents yard. 

I was on CC for Bertha in 1996 and that was wild. Beach sand + the wind was painful. SNE is definitely due.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Yep... 38 is almost impossible to envision based on our recent past.  My father lived through 38 in central CT and he recalled in very stark terms what the damage looked like...

My grandfather said it looked like we were bombed after ‘38…trees snapped and cars flipped over everywhere, and buildings ripped open…this was New Britain, CT.  

And nobody knew it was coming… 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteLawns said:

Anyone gonna talk about how the gfs saw this happening like 15 days ago?

GFS/GEFS did a good job on this one, but if it ever gets a hurricane track 15 days out it’s pure luck. However it has been in the ballpark and not waivered as much as the Euro throughout Lee’s existence. Score 1 for the Americans!!

36 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

My first memories. Generators, steak on the grill, and seeing pine trees swaying and snapping in my grandparents yard. 

I was on CC for Bertha in 1996 and that was wild. Beach sand + the wind was painful. SNE is definitely due.

I remember Bertha! There was an insane wind surfer riding in it out at Fishers Island. Dude seemed like he was moving at highway speeds.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

My grandfather said it looked like we were bombed after ‘38…trees snapped and cars flipped over everywhere, and buildings ripped open…this was New Britain, CT.  

We grew up in New Britain as well.  My father described the roofs of 2 and 3 family houses lift off like and pinwheel to the ground like a Frisbee.  In Norfolk, CT at a small historic site there are before and after pictures of the hill sides... almost every oal tree looks like they were just mowed down.  In fact, most of the tall oaks across the interior of the state are post 1938...

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

GFS/GEFS did a good job on this one, but if it ever gets a hurricane track 15 days out it’s pure luck. However it has been in the ballpark and not waivered as much as the Euro throughout Lee’s existence. Score 1 for the Americans!!

Really is the silent remarkable aspect about the storm…

I mean really, the GFS storm track being within 500 miles of actual both disheartening as it is awe inspiring … doing so from day 10 when using the mean of all of its runs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Absolutely true story. My grandfather was in charge of a city DPW in 38. All hell broke loose and officials couldn't find him anywhere. He got stranded at the race track:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My father lived in Barrington right on Narragansett Bay and lost some neighbors. When I was a kid I always remember him going to the basement if there were any strong winds. The sound brought back the memory of 38.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 2