• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Lee--Glorified Nor'Easter or Legit Tropical? Near Miss or Direct Hit?

WxWatcher007

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think most knew deep down this wouldn't be a big deal for the US, but people are bored and some tried to force a square peg into a round hole.

It was clear from the start this wouldn’t be a significant event for most of the US coast, but I did think there was a legitimate small chance for NE which looks to work out and I do think this’ll be meaningful for Maine/NS. 

People will always try to force it (see the 5 minute excitement from some about future Nigel), but I also think there’s a tendency to downplay something that’s trackable, especially if the chances are modest or narrowly tailored to a small zone. 

• Like 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

It was clear from the start this wouldn’t be a significant event for most of the US coast, but I did think there was a legitimate small chance for NE which looks to work out and I do think this’ll be meaningful for Maine/NS. 

People will always try to force it (see the 5 minute excitement from some about future Nigel), but I also think there’s a tendency to downplay something that’s trackable, especially if the chances are modest or narrowly tailored to a small zone. 

Meaningful...sure, in the sense of major nor'Easter ...said that all along. But in my world, that is "who caresville".

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mob1 said:

This is quickly trending towards a minor event for anyone outside of Maine (with perhaps far eastern New England getting a moderate event). 

Trending towards a minor event implies it was potentially an impactful event at one point….. it was never. There’s 7 days of posts from folks who are worth listening to saying this isn’t going to be a big deal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wxsniss said:

Kudos to NHC for not flinching with the cone... there was a period yesterday when most ensembles and op runs and their trends were on the very left edge of their cone. Some mets (Dave Esptein most prominently) flinched.

Still significant lead time remaining in the scheme of tropical forecasting, and we've seen day-of 50-100 mile wobbles happen with majors, but what was always the most likely "correction vector" east is now increasingly supported by guidance today.

Hurricane models performed well. Euro / GFS debates? They swapped roles in the closest tracks at various times, so I'm not convinced one was truly better than the other.

In the camp of "I awe at severe like everyone on this forum but I don't want actual damage to my house", I'm relieved.

1 run is an aberration, 2 is a coincidence, 3 is a trend. Forecasters shouldn’t flinch because 1 suite of models shifted 50-100 miles at day 4. 

• Like 2

“The environment ahead of Lee is expected to gradually become less 
conducive for the hurricane as it moves into a region of higher 
wind shear, drier air, and over progressively cooler SSTs.  These 
conditions favor weakening, but since the system is so large the 
weakening process should be slow.  The NHC intensity forecast is a 
little lower than the previous one, in part due to the initial lower 
wind speed, and remains near the HCCA and IVCN guidance.  
Regardless of the details, there is high confidence that Lee will be 
a large hurricane near the coast of New England Friday night and 
Saturday.

It should again be noted that the 34- and 50-kt wind speed
probabilities beyond 36 hours in the text and graphical products are
likely underestimating the risk of those winds occurring.  This is
because the forecast wind field of Lee is considerably larger than
average compared to the wind field used to derive the wind speed
probability product.”

Stick a fork in it - though perhaps the Tropical Storm force winds will be farther out than we would normally expect. The fact it’s taking a while to wind down may influence that as well. Looks like the rain risk is fading away as well, 1-2” for ESNE 2-4” for Maine…

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Meaningful...sure, in the sense of major nor'Easter ...said that all along. But in my world, that is "who caresville".

I agree in principal but we’ve had many strong autumn nor’easters that have caused significant amounts of winds and damage… just not hurricane level stuff.