Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I told my to try the shark, she saw it on the menu but didn't order it. I saw the Bizarre Food Guy try it in Iceland he had trouble putting it down, said it has an ammonia smell. My wife actually has been looking at a cruise for us to take, 10 days with stops in Iceland, Greenland and Scandanavia, I'm leaning on going that way, cost is very reasonable, and I like the comfort of a cruise ship.

A coworker of mine did a trip this past summer that was ten days in Iceland (two weeks maybe?) and three days in Greenland.  She said Greenland was a big let down.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A coworker of mine did a trip this past summer that was ten days in Iceland (two weeks maybe?) and three days in Greenland.  She said Greenland was a big let down.  

I don't think there's much there but they only have one stop there, I'm more interested in Iceland, Finland, Sweden and Copenhagen. I saw there were two stops in Iceland.

• Like 1

The ice cave was at Vatnajökull, near the ice lagoon. We did a good tour and tried the fermented shark - it’s absolutely foul (but you only eat a tiny little nugget and wash it down with a shot. It’s like eating ammonia). I did try horse and puffin, much to my kids dismay, both good. 

Met this cute little guy today. People have been feeding him so he’s quite friendly 

IMG_9879.jpeg

IMG_9912.jpeg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, alex said:

The ice cave was at Vatnajökull, near the ice lagoon. We did a good tour and tried the fermented shark - it’s absolutely foul (but you only eat a tiny little nugget and wash it down with a shot. It’s like eating ammonia). I did try horse and puffin, much to my kids dismay, both good. 

Met this cute little guy today. People have been feeding him so he’s quite friendly 

IMG_9879.jpeg

IMG_9912.jpeg

Beautiful animal

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alex said:

IMG_9879.jpeg

IMG_9912.jpeg

Did you wash the shark down with Brennivan?

20 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

What the hell is going on in Norfolk county?!

https://whdh.com/news/family-mourning-avon-man-after-his-body-found-in-well/

Between this, the Karen read stuff, district attorney, what a mess.

I thought this was a weather forum, but I'll take the bait. If my brother was missing for over a month and I suspected he might be in a well, I'd prolly check it myself. I can only imagine the stench. Also something weird about the brother. At a minimum he seems to be $#itfaced in the interview. Something more to that story.

35.4/24.0, might start as snow, we'll see. 

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I thought this was a weather forum, but I'll take the bait. If my brother was missing for over a month and I suspected he might be in a well, I'd prolly check it myself. I can only imagine the stench. Also something weird about the brother. At a minimum he seems to be $#itfaced in the interview. Something more to that story.

35.4/24.0, might start as snow, we'll see. 

I mean it’s the banter thread lol, and apparently they begged police to check the well and they didn’t and eventually they found him themselves? Or so the story goes.

Seems almost unbelievable that someone would be missing for 2 and a half months and then found on the literal property of his family.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I mean it’s the banter thread lol, and apparently they begged police to check the well and they didn’t and eventually they found him themselves? Or so the story goes.

Seems almost unbelievable that someone would be missing for 2 and a half months and then found on the literal property of his family.

How did he get in the well is the question

Looking like another historic year weatherwise for New England, depending on how December shapes up. Here is a collection of cities, with 2023 ranging from warmest on record at ORH to 7th warmest on record at CON.

Some of the records for ORH and CON in the early years are not reliable - in the case of ORH, this is due mainly to elevation and site location changes. Unclear what the problem is at CON, but the 1870s are way out of whack with other data [excluding those records, 2023 is 5th warmest since 1880].

Burlington, VT

image.png.2404381a5794bfa321795b26921dee07.png

Caribou, ME

image.png.c7d796f78dc8c8c3cfed659013ae10ea.png

Mount Washington, NH

image.png.811fe7517974aaf8ec4042249ac4fa67.png

Boston, MA

image.png.49b20bc5c3c0ac6f9a00d98995b69794.png

Worcester, MA 

Note: Due to substantial elevation change, early data is not directly comparable to present.

image.png.93c065a0d20a6cc564e8f75d1d91a520.png

Concord, NH

image.png.b76df24b0a020f823ba712994cd27ca0.png

Hartford, CT

image.png.eb33b803fb2df7383a1613e0657045a4.png

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just FYI on KORH. It has had a warm bias of nearly 2F over the last 2 years or so.

image.thumb.png.041cd1e5a177aacd9c6718ba79225c5c.png

It may have a small warm bias, but MADIS is not reliable. It literally always says most ASOS stations are way too warm. It's certainly not 2 degrees off the surrounding stations - Boston is only 0.7F from a record, Concord 0.5F, and Hartford 0.3F. None of the surrounding first-order sites are any where near 2 degrees cooler than ORH, on a departure basis.

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

It may have a small warm bias, but MADIS is not reliable. It literally always says most ASOS stations are way too warm. It's certainly not 2 degrees off the surrounding stations - Boston is only 0.7F from a record, Concord 0.5F, and Hartford 0.3F. None of the surrounding first-order sites are any where near 2 degrees cooler than ORH, on a departure basis.

Myself and @ORH_wxman have noticed this consistent behavior. As someone who always looks at KORH and surrounding areas, this isn't some made up thing.  KBOS had the same issue 4 years ago and was corrected. For the record, KPVD seems to have the opposite problem. It's been too cool.

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

This sounds like bias to be honest.  Looking for a reason to be warm and discrediting MADIS.  ORH has been discussed on here for the past two years as running high.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This sounds like bias to be honest.  Looking for a reason to be warm and discrediting MADIS.  ORH has been discussed on here for the past two years as running high.

Look, I don't want to stir up any trouble. I know you and @CoastalWxare prolific posters with lots of credibility, but MADIS almost also shows a big warm bias. And I'm always skeptical of people making a big deal out of a station running warm. You never see people call out stations running cool - Albany was running 2-3 degrees too low for awhile, it took a former NWS met calling it out before they would address it. It's always so warm these days, that even a minor warm bias automatically gets detected and amplified since records start being shattered.

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Look, I don't want to stir up any trouble. I know you and @CoastalWxare prolific posters with lots of credibility, but MADIS almost also shows a big warm bias. And I'm always skeptical of people making a big deal out of a station running warm. You never see people call out stations running cool - Albany was running 2-3 degrees too low for awhile, it took a former NWS met calling it out before they would address it. It's always so warm these days, that even a minor warm bias automatically gets detected and amplified since records start being shattered.

When it's reporting freezing rain at 34F and/or accumulating snow at 2"/hr at 34F, I would say a bias exists. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

When it's reporting freezing rain at 34F and/or accumulating snow at 2"/hr at 34F, I would say a bias exists. 

Can you show one of these observations from ORH? I'll bet it's something like: -ZR 01/M04. Freezing rain is certainly possible above freezing if there's a big dewpoint depression and/or a rapid increase in air temperature such that the surface is still below freezing. I agree 2" of snow in an hour at 34F is impossible with a properly sited station, and that snow of that intensity would surely drop the air temperature to freezing or below.

:lol:   Never let facts get in the way of an agenda. 

This actually happened at Logan too. They also had fog with a T/Td spread of 3F. It was called out my many Mets. Something finally changed and the results have been much better.

This has nothing to do with biases or political nonsense. It's about getting data right. I just said how PVD is running cool. 

29 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I don’t know, I feel like Coastalwx has been on the PVD running cold for a while.  I don’t disagree with most of what you said but I do think the long time met posters on here are pretty unbiased and able to sniff out errors.

@CoastalWx @ORH_wxman @OceanStWx @dendrite are some of the best and finding cold or warm biases and you won’t find them with an agenda in either way.  

• Like 1

The empirical evidence for ORH running too warm is overwhelming. I’m not sure how you can look at data for more than a few minutes and conclude otherwise. Even if you do not trust MADIS, just compare sthe ORH monthly departures to other first order climate stations in SNE and you’ll see consistently that ORH runs warmer. They are also consistently warmer than just about every single mesonet site at similar elevation near them. I’ve looked at this extensively since discovering the issue. 

Here’s the MADIS graph on a longer timeline. Pretty obvious step change in 2020 that also aligns with ORH’s divergence from other first order sites on monthly departure  

MADIS_KORH.png.e355847af3062237f75a6dea4fea01ef.png

• Like 1