• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

Going back to the loss of daylight…I realize it bothers a lot folks, even the ones who supposedly like/live winter. And I obviously don’t deny the idea that folks change as we get older.  But the loss of daylight never bothered me…nor does it now in my early to mid 50’s.   And to go a little further, it wouldn’t bother me at all if there wasn’t the possibility/likelihood of snow coming either.  The early darkness regardless of winter weather is relaxing to me…even when it happens at 4:19 pm.  

The late sunsets actually are a little irritating to me after a while. Glad we’re losing time fast now. I know that’s not what most people like, but that’s just me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Going back to the loss of daylight…I realize it bothers a lot folks, even the ones who supposedly like/live winter. And I obviously don’t deny the idea that folks change as we get older.  But the loss of daylight never bothered me…nor does it now in my early to mid 50’s.   And to go a little further, it wouldn’t bother me at all if there wasn’t the possibility/likelihood of snow coming either.  The early darkness regardless of winter weather is relaxing to me…even when it happens at 4:19 pm.  

The late sunsets actually are a little irritating to me after a while. Glad we’re losing time fast now. I know that’s not what most people like, but that’s just me. 

I kind of associate early sunsets with winter so it doesn't bother me then hoewever....I'd not be happy if DST was abolished and we had 7:30 sunsets in June instead of 8:30

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I kind of associate early sunsets with winter so it doesn't bother me then hoewever....I'd not be happy if DST was abolished and we had 7:30 sunsets in June instead of 8:30

It won’t be abolished.  But for me, I’d be more upset if the standard time was abolished.  I realize everyone is different, but I enjoy the early sunsets when they are here. As well as the later sunrises. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I just like the transition. It doesn’t bother me at all because it’ll change back when it’s time. 

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Loss of daylight should be the least of folks worries.

My first thought was that we’ll flip to warm/dry November 15 through April 15th :lol: 

• Like 1

I can understand some people hating the dark get up, dark commute to work, and then the dark commute home as well, in the late fall and dead of winter.  My girlfriend absolutely hates that.  

As an elementary school teacher, even the shortest days and longest nights are still done in daylight for me.(not that it would matter if it weren’t for me). But I can understand the dislike/struggle by some. 

16 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Yeah I need that 9pm light to still be outside in summer.  Coming down from a hike in ambient light at 9-9:30pm is always fun.  The extra time outside after work day is key to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Only time that (slightly) bothered me was the 2 Decembers (1979, 1982) with bare ground on the first week.  Combining a 3:55 sunset with drizzle and brown ground made for dreary times.  (And those winters were the poorest of our FK years.  The 2-year average of 93.7" looks okay, but the other winters there averaged 145".)

6 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Haha!   My reference was more about the sunlight angst.  Go toward the equator, friends!

The sun setting at the same time all year at like 6pm must be boring AF.  Just 6am to 6pm all the time.

I’m not a fan of it being dark at 4pm but gladly take the trade off of light at 4:30am to 8:30pm in the summer.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

fall isn't cold anymore so let's celebrate cold vibes instead

• Weenie 2

43 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It won’t be abolished.  But for me, I’d be more upset if the standard time was abolished.  I realize everyone is different, but I enjoy the early sunsets when they are here. As well as the later sunrises. 

I don't see it changing-permanent DST leads to sunrises 8:30-9am depending on where you are in the time zone-that's not happening....we dont run buses for an inch of snow we certainly aren't running them in the dark for 3 months

• Like 2