Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discobs 2023

George BM

3 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

so far the lower dews + higher air temps scenario seems to be playing out - we'll see if that continues.

Normally, when it's in the mid-upper 90s in the mid-Atlantic, it's also humid, but the nw flow (along with the breeze) has been the base state all summer, it seems...maybe even since last year.

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

the dry ground to the west of IAD really has to be playing a role here.

Yes it is.  But we're also closer to the incoming midwest heat dome.  This has been the entire summer out here.  We're hotter than the UHI almost every day.  Our summer has been nothing like DCA's.

97F high, at least I assume that'll be the high for today.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yes it is.  But we're also closer to the incoming midwest heat dome.  This has been the entire summer out here.  We're hotter than the UHI almost every day.  Our summer has been nothing like DCA's.

Can confirm. I don’t think I’ve seen an entire summer where IAD constantly beat DCA for daily maxes

97 for the high imby

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

We touched on it in class, but I forgot to ask, does corn sweat actually change the storms in the area in any meaningful way?

Nah, it can locally increase the dewpoints in mid summer though. I think it has a relativity minor impact overall- if we have an airmass with dry NW flow from Canada, its not like the evapotranspiration(corn sweat)is going drive the dewpoints higher in any meaningful way. Probably a more notable (slight) local impact when the flow is more tropical in nature from the SE in a Bermuda high setup, for example.

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Good point. The mean h5 ridge has been to the west. Your area downslopes well, which means compressional heating. Competes with the UHI just to the east. Over here its been significantly less hot due to being further east, and ofc zero UHI. It has gotten quite dry here over the last couple weeks, but nothing like your area is experiencing over the last 3+ months.

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic