Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2023

Stormlover74

55 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Cloudy and thunder in distance but the rain keeps developing to my north and sliding to CT. Same pattern all week. Pouring at the boat and dry at home 

There’s an outflow boundary pushing east that’s firing storms behind it into Nassau now. We’ll see if it can make it over the border. Same here-Lloyd Harbor/Caumsett getting dumped on, nothing IMBY. 

20 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Not really seeing that big autumnal front just yet.

Probably won't happen til October. Nino Octobers are typically cooler than usual 

At this point I'll take a front that will at least clear out the humidity!  Getting a little tired of the warmth + humidity.

Continuing personal theme of Sept 7-14.

Amounts as posted by NWS in the subforum seem to be missing 'isolated'big amounts  3-4.8" so far, as documented in state climate data or prior LSR's.  This is becoming important in assessment.  My concern is not only north of I78 in NJ/PA, se NYS but now CT, through Wednesday evening.

Scranton area: There have been road washouts/bridges out/injuries/ and at least 1 fatality vicinity Scranton PA and while that is not in the NYC subforum, it does suggest isolated potential in the subforum... this afternoon-tonight, and Tuesday night-Wednesday. 

See attachments for documentation of FF ( tiny sampler), FFG which I think in our area if exceeds 2.5": in 6 hours, you'll get FF (NOT talking the general river flooding, but what I feel is the more dangerous isolated hillside/urban runoff/creek FF).  

and added the 12z/10 SPC HREF MAX rainfall potential which is not necessarily very reliable but suggests renewed heavy convection later today/tonight with potential for "isolated" max amounts 3-5", ne PA/

This is not a benign pattern, though many in our NYC subforum will only nickel and dime for the next day or two.  

and this is only with PW of near 1.75" through tonight and again Wednesday morning. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 11.47.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 11.52.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 12.07.04 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Continuing personal theme of Sept 7-14.

Amounts as posted by NWS in the subforum seem to be missing 'isolated'big amounts  3-4.8" so far, as documented in state climate data or prior LSR's.  This is becoming important in assessment.  My concern is not only north of I78 in NJ/PA, se NYS but now CT, through Wednesday evening.

Scranton area: There have been road washouts/bridges out/injuries/ and at least 1 fatality vicinity Scranton PA and while that is not in the NYC subforum, it does suggest isolated potential in the subforum... this afternoon-tonight, and Tuesday night-Wednesday. 

See attachments for documentation of FF ( tiny sampler), FFG which I think in our area if exceeds 2.5": in 6 hours, you'll get FF (NOT talking the general river flooding, but what I feel is the more dangerous isolated hillside/urban runoff/creek FF).  

and added the 12z/10 SPC HREF MAX rainfall potential which is not necessarily very reliable but suggests renewed heavy convection later today/tonight with potential for "isolated" max amounts 3-5", ne PA/

This is not a benign pattern, though many in our NYC subforum will only nickel and dime for the next day or two.  

and this is only with PW of near 1.75" through tonight and again Wednesday morning. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 11.47.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 11.52.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 12.07.04 PM.png

Walt,

So far today I have picked up 0.89" of rain. 3 day total so far of 1.90"

Have to see how much additional rain I pick up today and tonight.

It has been pouring since 11 AM, with rates as high as 2.72/hr. But we keep getting lulls and then periods of intense rain and thunder. Currently at 1.11 inches. All the local forecasts totally missed the boat. All official rainfall forecast, even now, say about 35 total for the entire day. Areas to our east and southeast have not even had rain, here was are getting storms generating just southwest of us that then build while over us. There really should be some sort of flash flood advisory for parts of Northwestern Suffolk. We are on the North Shore, at LI Sound, several miles west of Sunken Meadow.