Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2023

Stormlover74

9 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

One thing is certain with lee this far out. This is a beach rearrange situation. Major major, beach erosion event is set in stone 

How did the beaches make out with Franklin?  I had seen pictures/video of water into Jones Beach theater during a concert.

1 hour ago, rclab said:

CPK, 89 at 14:51. ASOS location, the magic forest. As always ….

IMG_6726.png

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

i thought today was suppose to be like 93 or 94 in the city what happened?

42 minutes ago, psv88 said:

The park hit 92 this afternoon. Also 92 out here. 

91/71/98 at FRG. “Dry heat”

Good afternoon nycw, psv88. I failed to check the 3 day breakdown which showed the 13:51 92 reading. As always …. 

IMG_6727.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uofmiami said:

How did the beaches make out with Franklin?  I had seen pictures/video of water into Jones Beach theater during a concert.

Major wash overs and flooding. Spent the day yesterday digging out burried snow fence. Based on what happened with bill in 08, it doesn’t take a direct hit to do damage. That storm stripped the beach and flooded the lots behind the boardwalk under sunny skies. It was bigger (larger fetch are and closer) then Franklin. All of which seemed a certainty with lee regardless of a hit.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Cfa said:

93 today, 94 yesterday, 92 the day before.

First heat wave here since late July (7/26-7/29).

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

I mean I would favor a Canadian hit but it wouldn't take much to shift it further west 

Are you talking Brookhaven Long Island? Brookhaven Labs weather station has recorded 85, 87, 89 the past 3 days.

Under partly sunny skies, temperatures reached scorching levels into New England. High temperatures in the 90s included:

Albany: 91°
Allentown: 91°
Atlantic City: 94° (old record: 93°, 1985)
Baltimore: 99° (old record: 96°, 1954) ***2023 becomes the 1st September with more than one 99° reading***
Bangor: 91°
Concord: 92° (old record: 91°, 1953, 1961, and 2018)
Harrisburg: 94° (tied record set in 2018)
Hartford: 92°
Islip: 91° (old record: 90°, 1985)
Manchester: 92°
New York City-Central Park: 92°
New York City-JFK Airport: 93°
New York City-LaGuardia Airport: 90°
Newark: 95° (old record: 94°, 1961 and 1985)
Philadelphia: 94°
Richmond: 98°
Rochester: 91°
Sterling, VA: 99° (old record: 96°, 1985) ***Tied September record for the 3rd consecutive day***
Syracuse: 90°
Washington, DC: 99° (old record: 97°, 1881)
Wilmington, DE: 92°

Tomorrow through Thursday will be generally fair and hot with temperatures reaching the upper 80s and lower 90s well into New England. Widespread upper 90s to around 100° are likely in Baltimore, Washington, and Philadelphia. A cooling trend should commence late in the week and continue through the weekend.

Newly-formed Lee will very likely become a major hurricane by this weekend. The ensembles favor recurvature, but the outcome is not yet cast in stone.

The ECMWF weeklies had forecast temperatures to average above to much above normal across the region for the September 4-11 period. That forecast is verifying with the ongoing heatwave. September has increasingly become an extension of summer in parts of the Northeast. Since 2000, almost half of all years (48%) have had a monthly mean temperature of 70° or above in New York City. Prior to 2000, just 20% of Septembers had mean temperatures of 70° or above.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +3.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.6°C for the week centered around August 30. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +3.22°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.32°C. El Niño conditions will likely continue to strengthen into the fall with the current East-based event transitioning to a basinwide El Niño for the upcoming winter.

The SOI was -2.85 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.708 today.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Only down to 84, tomorrow could be a mid 90s day here if we can get a light north wind like today.

Yea it's pretty gross out right now.  I really enjoy the fresh cool air at night this time of year but I guess as the climate warms this will get pushed back even further into the month.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Yea it's pretty gross out right now.  I really enjoy the fresh cool air at night this time of year but I guess as the climate warms this will get pushed back even further into the month.  

farmingdale broke a record today but to be fair its period of record is short