Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Idalia

hlcater

26 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Maybe this won't end up as a major H landfall. Fingers crossed! Perhaps their climo says that there are geographic factors that make it extremely difficult and that that will come into play for Idalia. Thoughts?

Alma (1966) and the Unnamed Hurricane in 1886 are really the only two storms with a similar origin / track. Obvious not statistically significant, yet both storms only maintained or weakened upon their approach to the area, neither strengthened. 

The current climo is of course different than the past, particularly the extremely water temps, so we'll wait and see what happens with Idalia.

Second recon plane moving into the NE quadrant. Not sure what's up with the first plane as it hasn't transmitted data in a while. 

Folks near Tallahassee need to take this seriously. The 18z spaghetti models shifted west again and the 18z GFS holds compared to 12z. Looking at the ensemble consensus, more changes are definitely possible and it's unusual for the NHC to note it in a discussion approximately 12-18 hours before a landfall.  

• Like 3

The next 12 hours are going to be intense. We're getting into a more favorable upper environment from this point until landfall that should continue to improve. I do expect the eyewall to take off tonight. It may not have time to enter into an ERC before landfall now, either. So it may very well still be deepening at landfall. I do think this will reach lower end Cat 4 as it is coming ashore. I'd like to imagine there's just not enough time for it to reach any maximum potential given the environment.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

The next 12 hours are going to be intense. We're getting into a more favorable upper environment from this point until landfall that should continue to improve. I do expect the eyewall to take off tonight. It may not have time to enter into an ERC before landfall now, either. So it may very well still be deepening at landfall. I do think this will reach lower end Cat 4 as it is coming ashore. I'd like to imagine there's just not enough time for it to reach any maximum potential given the environment.

Look at the distribution of RI odds, particularly relative to climo. 

OlzTskM.png

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Maybe this won't end up as a major H landfall. Fingers crossed! Perhaps their climo says that there are geographic factors that make it extremely difficult and that that will come into play for Idalia. Thoughts?

I'm not a big believer in the idea that 'climo' plays any role in the outcome of any particular event, since it doesn't have any bearing on current synoptic setups.  I would love to see a statistical analysis of U.S landfalls using origin of a depression, SST, winds aloft, position of troughs and ridges and many other parameters. I will admit though that any tropical cyclone entering the Gulf will hit land somewhere unless it dissapates.

1 minute ago, wkd said:

I'm not a big believer in the idea that 'climo' plays any role in the outcome of any particular event, since it doesn't have any bearing on current synoptic setups.  I would love to see a statistical analysis of U.S landfalls using origin of a depression, SST, winds aloft, position of troughs and ridges and many other parameters. I will admit though that any tropical cyclone entering the Gulf will hit land somewhere unless it dissapates.

Well, not physiologically, but it does tell us areas that are perhaps more geographically prone than others...like Hateras vs the Georgia coast.

• Like 1

Just now, beanskip said:

85 W Longitude a pretty good measuring point for track. If it never gets on the plus side of 85, that will be good news for TLH. If it sneak across -- even for a bit -- that won't bode well. 

TPC had forward motion at 050 degrees earlier today.  Latest advisory is a 360 degree heading, about 5-10 miles east of 85W.  Suspect landfall is is between 83 to 84 west around or just before sunrise tomorrow.