• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Idalia

hlcater

At this point Idalia only has about 18 hours left over water. Not much time for changes in track. The good news is there is some leeway with the landfall point relative to the 11 am NHC track in order to avoid major coastal impacts on more heavily populated areas. Biggest threat at this point is if the turn NNE gets delayed and Idalia ends up toward the central/west side of Apalachee Bay. Not really worried about is going back more SE at this point.

6 minutes ago, BYG Jacob said:

Absolutely not.

On visible sat imagery then why is there a clear air inflow channel coming in from the south. Continuing west around the circulation and into the center. I am not doubting you. But I am asking why there is a clear air channel entering the circulation of that's not dry air. 

Just now, Master of Disaster said:

On visible sat imagery then why is there a clear air inflow channel coming in from the south. Continuing west around the circulation and into the center. I am not doubting you. But I am asking why there is a clear air channel entering the circulation of that's not dry air. 

Yep and you can see it's inhibiting the NW side a bit as it wraps in.    Good news for FL as it may delay any quick strengthening and we are less than 18 hrs from landfall at this point.

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, Master of Disaster said:

The dry air is not being pushed into the core or eyewall of the storm. That would require shear, the hurricane will moisten the part of the storm the dry air got into with no issue. It's actually a bad thing in this case, because it means convective banding won't be able to wrap around and start an ERC.

17 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Yep and you can see it's inhibiting the NW side a bit as it wraps in.    Good news for FL as it may delay any quick strengthening and we are less than 18 hrs from landfall at this point.

Again, no. There isn't any shear to push the dry air into the core.

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The water vapor loop doesn’t show any exceptionally dry air around and even if so, without shear to direct it into the core it would probably stay separated. It also makes sense that with air rising fast inside the hurricane it would sink/dry up away from it. 

The NW side looks “inhibited” because the outflow/ventilation channel is to its NE. It’s not a sign of shear knocking away at the storm. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Why is there not a plane in the storm right now, in advance of the crucial, day-before-landfall 5 p.m. advisory?

Why does NHC still have a track that doesn't/barely includes Tallahassee/St. George even as all three hurricane models and the GFS show landfall there?

I mean, I never thought I'd be Criticize the NHC Guy, but I really don't get it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, beanskip said:

Why is there not a plane in the storm right now, in advance of the crucial, day-before-landfall 5 p.m. advisory?

Why does NHC still have a track that doesn't/barely includes Tallahassee/St. George even as all three hurricane models and the GFS show landfall there?

I mean, I never thought I'd be Criticize the NHC Guy, but I really don't get it. 

Budget cuts at the Air Force? Only so much money to spend on recon flights per calendar year. They got to stay within their budget. 

3 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Southeast rains.  Unusual to see widespread shower / T-Storm activity out ahead of a hurricane like this.  Usually sinking air in advance.  Looks to me like a PRE (Predecessor Rain Event) ongoing.  Bands of rain/storms along Fl west coast are more directly related to Idalia.

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 3.50.50 PM.jpg

Wind was ahead and with them. I am in Hazlehurst, Ga. It has been quiet up to the showers in the last 2-3 hours. I have been through 6/7 hurricanes. 

20 minutes ago, beanskip said:

I'm pretty sure the 5pm cone will be shifted left.

franklin’s spike in intensity has strengthened the ridge between Idalia and itself, which is pushing Idalia further left in the short term.  If I’m in Tallahassee I’m a bit nervous.  As it’s been stated the storm is looking excellent and is most certainly going to strike as a major.  Only question is how strong (and I’m seeing upper cat 4)

3 hours ago, beanskip said:

Yeah I know.

I guess my point is, when's the last time you can remember an NHC cone where at 30 hours the CMC is 100 miles outside the cone and the GFS is outside it or just straddling its edge?

cone graphic

1. Indeed, the 12Z CMC is outside the cone although for the record it's ~50 rather than 100 miles outside of it. The 12Z CMC is at Apalachicola while left side of cone is at Alligator Point, 50 miles E. But it is notable that it's outside the cone.

2. One of the issues is that Idalia's cone is rather narrow (~100 miles wide at FL coast). To compare, here was Ian's cone then, which was a bit wider:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2022/IAN_graphics.php?product=3day_cone_with_line_and_wind

2. Now I'll address the CMC's horrible left bias regarding Ian, which made landfall near Port Charlotte at 19Z on 9/28/22. Here were the 12Z 9/27 runs for Ian:

ICON Port Charlotte
CMC Tampa
GFS just N of Port Charlotte
Euro Port Charlotte
UKMET 20 miles S of Ft. Myers

Note that CMC was still up at Tampa, which is 70 miles to the north/left of the actual Ian landfall that occurred just 31 hours later. IF Idalia were to make landfall 70 miles to the right of today's 12Z CMC, that would be well within the cone. Also, keep in mind that the prior CMC run (0Z 9/27) was way up in the Big Bend, or ~200 miles away from actual landfall! So, the CMC appears to have a severe left bias.

3. The 12Z GFS is on the left edge of cone (Alligator Point). The 12Z Euro is in W Taylor County or ~25 miles E of the GFS/~25 miles W of the cone's center. The 12Z ICON/UKMET are in mid Taylor Count ~15 miles E of Euro or ~10 miles left of mid-cone.

To summarize the 12Z runs:

-CMC 50 mi left of cone's left edge

-GFS left cone edge/50 mi left of cone center

-Euro 25 mi left of cone center

-UKMET/ICON 10 mi left of cone center

-So, all five left of cone center

-So, 12Z runs favor moving cone a bit to the left at 5PM advisory.

3 minutes ago, Normandy said:

franklin’s spike in intensity has strengthened the ridge between Idalia and itself, which is pushing oxalis further left in the short term.  If I’m in Tallahassee I’m a bit nervous.  As it’s been stated the storm is looking excellent and is most certainly going to strike as a major.  Only question is how strong (and I’m seeing upper cat 4)

I think you need to add Idalia to your device's dictionary. :)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Interesting from NWS Tallahassee.  Didn't realize a major had never entered that region before.

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 4.05.37 PM.jpg

One for the history books if Idalia makes landfall as a major. Also looks like relative to history, the area has been long overdue. 

Apalachee Bay Hurricane Landfalls

• Hermine (2016) - Category 1
  • Alma (1966) - Category 1 
  • Unnamed (1941) - Category 1
  • Unnamed (1935) - Category 2
  • Unnamed (1899) - Category 2
  • Unnamed (1886) - Category 2
  • Unnamed (1886) - Category 2
  • Unnamed (1882) - Category 1
  • Unnamed (1880) - Category 1
  • Unnamed (1873) - Category 1
  • Unnamed (1867) - Category 1