Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August Banter 2023

George BM

On 8/11/2023 at 9:26 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

Totally agree about the walks on a glacier without a pro tour group. We were very respectful around the glacier knowing that it’s a potentially volatile area. Pictures don’t do justice to the size and danger.

Today was a lazy day around Jasper. Got down into the 30’s last night so no hurry getting up, and then opted for a coffee house latte and pastries in town over the traditional cowboy coffee and scrambled egg burritos at the campsite.

Walked the town a bit and checked out the cool railroad station, then hit up the tram to the near summit of Whistler’s Mountain (not to be confused with the biggie outside Vancouver). Hiked the final kilometer to the summit and had a late lunch and beer back at the tram.

image.jpeg.855f5cedb4acbf75c4d7e17d549bf057.jpeg

image.jpeg.6977b0074a6c3aa91075688d5fde15a0.jpeg

image.jpeg.e061152fa4a469c1c2704088d5356a6c.jpeg

image.jpeg.f2abbf594fb01c55055b5f95c95986c5.jpeg

Really congratulating you, and I am very happy you had such a good time up there in AB! Love the snow and ice in August! And the 33 degree waters! I would have jumped in like a fool - and probably made the Albertan news cycle for sure! If it is like this in August I wonder what that place is like in deep Winter! Probably meters of wind driven snow and temps in the negative 30s and 40s!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stormpc said:

Damn. They are saying it's his arm. That's Troublesome especially since he didn't throw one to check after that 2-1 pitch. 

Yeah that’s some bad news to wake up to. Maybe best case is a shoulder strain or something like that? Hopefully not elbow/forearm…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah that’s some bad news to wake up to. Maybe best case is a shoulder strain or something like that? Hopefully not elbow/forearm…

Hoping for the best but ussually an arm injury after a single pitch is severe. He didn't even try a warm up toss so he must of known something was very wrong.

Fingers crossed its minor. Holding onto to the division gets alot more daunting without Felix.

• Like 1

I got absolutely soaked on the way to weather analysis, and was super cold. Fun seeing how all the moisture came from the gulf in that round pattern.

Looking at the mid level maps a few days ago it almost looked like some remnant spin from Hilary ejected through the northern Plains and through the mid-Atlantic. I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere, so I figured it wasn’t quite that simple. Still felt quite tropical yesterday and there’s clearly humidity in the air today (though I actually like this stuff and would take it over a dry pattern any day, unless I was in the desert and expected it).

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

9 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Hoping for the best but ussually an arm injury after a single pitch is severe. He didn't even try a warm up toss so he must of known something was very wrong.

Fingers crossed its minor. Holding onto to the division gets alot more daunting without Felix.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/08/felix-bautista-placed-on-injured-list-with-some-degree-of-ucl-injury.html

On 8/25/2023 at 12:57 PM, WxUSAF said:

@dtk or someone else with knowledge…has the GFS changed their land surface model in some way? I know it’s been hot in many places, but the GFS has been putting out stupid crazy temps that are not verifying.

I mean come on. 

IMG_6772.png

IMG_6773.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I mean come on. 

IMG_6772.png

IMG_6773.png

It went completely off the deep end maybe 1-2 months ago.  There was some discussion about the land surface being a problem, but it looked like it was only in the long range.  It wasn’t.  My hometown has an all-time high of 107 and it was trying to pump out like 110-113 from a few days out.  The reality was 100.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

It went completely off the deep end maybe 1-2 months ago.  There was some discussion about the land surface being a problem, but it looked like it was only in the long range.  It wasn’t.  My hometown has an all-time high of 107 and it was trying to pump out like 110-113 from a few days out.  The reality was 100.

The heat isn't just getting to us. It is getting to the models, too. It's so damn hot out that it is even getting to the A.I.'s.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

12z gfs says we hit 110 the second week of September 

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, Stormpc said:

That's terrible news. I bet he's gone even through the playoffs. That's okay, they can do it by committee with Cano, Coulombe and Fuji. Do-able. 

Yeah I think the best case scenario is that he won't need TJ surgery. That's a bit of a nightmare because he'd be out for the next year, smh But I have no doubt we'd be able to find another solid option...but it still would suck!

5 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

12z gfs says we hit 110 the second week of September 

It also said I would hit 104 last Friday. My high was 90.

The GFS is useless with heat.   The ECM is not much better.   It predicted 97 last Friday.

5 hours ago, Jebman said:
It is 108 NOW, and we just might have a shot at 109 or 110.
Its hot as hell down here. Dont visit Texas right now. It's Hellageddon down here.

I don’t want that, but I rely on summer for stagnant airmasses and light wind with some humidity…it’s ideal for shooting three pointers (and even some from the logo if the conditions are truly ripe). This summer has really been more like a late Spring/early Fall. It has been warm periodically, but nothing noteworthy.

8 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I don’t want that, but I rely on summer for stagnant airmasses and light wind with some humidity…it’s ideal for shooting three pointers (and even some from the logo if the conditions are truly ripe). This summer has really been more like a late Spring/early Fall. It has been warm periodically, but nothing noteworthy.

It's setting up for a cool autumn with breathtaking foliages then a frigid winter laden with snow after snow after snow after snow after snow. You're going to get so much of it that you're gonna be TIRED of snow, yet it will just keep on smashing the Mid Atlantic completely into wintry, frigid, Siberian smithereens. It will snow deep, you will dig it with a patented Jebman Shovel, only to have stiff northerly breezes pile it right back on your driveway, and you'll bounce out of bed the next frigid morning to find your car drifted in but good, in a five foot drift, of hard packed snow. Its gonna happen a lot.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic