Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Banter 2023

George BM

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

After 2 weeks away was thinking of doing a bit of mowing (as nice as it feels out now), but a couple drinks in + weed, eff that.  With the mixing/lowering dews, should be prime mowing weather around 6am- about 60 f.

That's one advantage of living relatively isolated from others.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Holy hell - downtown Frederick is fantastic. Probably anytime but especially on an august Saturday morning like this one.

Preach. We love to visit downtown Frederick...in point of fact, I prefer it over the overcrowded and overrated Old Town Alexandria, all day every day. We just hate getting to Frederick from NoVA, which is nearly always a tremendous pain in the ass, no matter if you leave early morning, midday, or mid afternoon on a weekend day. I-270 = HELL.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Preach. We love to visit downtown Frederick...in point of fact, I prefer it over the overcrowded and overrated Old Town Alexandria, all day every day. We just hate getting to Frederick from NoVA, which is nearly always a tremendous pain in the ass, no matter if you leave early morning, midday, or mid afternoon on a weekend day. I-270 = HELL.

270 is a joke. Amazing that MD refuses to expand that or add express lanes. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nj2va said:

270 is a joke. Amazing that MD refuses to expand that or add express lanes. 

I don't think I would have moved to Frederick if I wasn't working remote at the time, unless I was working nearby.  With that said, I generally like this area, though the drivers might actually be worse than MoCo, which is saying a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

Anyone know anything about Spire Weather?  WB is now partnering with them.  You get Basic for free with a WB subscription and pay for more detailed maps.

Spire is a private company who is in the low-earth orbiting satellite game.  They are trying to assimilate proprietary satellite data to improve models.  They also want to sell their data to NOAA and Congress is on board with the private sector providing data.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Multiple rescues on or near KMWN this past weekend including a few involving MD residents.

https://nhfishgame.com/2023/08/21/severe-weather-leads-to-multiple-hiker-rescues-around-mt-washington/

That area is very extreme, should be hiked by experienced hikers only, JMO. I've done the Tuckerman up to Mt Washington then back down Huntington back in 2004 and the Tuckerman/Lions Head/Boot Spur back in 2006. I'm in no shape to do that currently lol. 

If anyone is interested, NOAA in College Park has an open house. I plan to take my son. 

WHAT:  Open House, Science on a Sphere ribbon cutting at 10:30 a.m.

WHEN:  Saturday, Sept. 16, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

WHERE: NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction  
              5830 University Research Court
              College Park, MD 20740

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

That area is very extreme, should be hiked by experienced hikers only, JMO. I've done the Tuckerman up to Mt Washington then back down Huntington back in 2004 and the Tuckerman/Lions Head/Boot Spur back in 2006. I'm in no shape to do that currently lol. 

No doubt. The average hiker is prob thinking it’s August and is totally unprepared for wind chills below freezing, which was the case on Saturday.

• Like 1

This is extremely bad.

This here, is WISCONSIN we are talkin about.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service La Crosse WI
621 PM CDT Tue Aug 22 2023

.DISCUSSION...(This evening through Tuesday)
Issued at 245 PM CDT Tue Aug 22 2023

Key Messages:

- Dangerous heat continues; noticeably more humid. Wednesday to
   be the hottest day of the week with record/near record
   temperatures and heat index values climbing to 105 to 115
   degrees.

It's one thing when it is this hot in south central Texas. It is quite another thing when my elderly uncle in La Crosse, WI has to try to contend with Austin, TX-magnitude extreme heat.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Man...What a first week of work I just had. Walked into training during a historic Pacific tropical cyclone impacting the west. What an eye opener that was for a National Center. 

Just wait til this autumn when that moderate El Nino-augmented subtropical jet starts getting into the act. Add to that unprecedented sea surface temps and you have the recipe for a fall/winter season far exceeding George BM Parameters.

You are going to have the time of your forecasting life this fall and winter.

Don't forget your Jebman Shovels and beer and IPA's. Stockpile enough for at least six months. You're gonna need it. This is going to be a memorable winter in the Mid Atlantic. Get snow tires and chains. Some localities in the mid Atlantic are going to get Palisaded pretty bad. Stock pile whatever it is you use to stay awake, because you are all gonna be on those MODELS for days and days and days this autumn and especially winter.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

18 hours ago, Jebman said:

This is extremely bad.

This here, is WISCONSIN we are talkin about.

It's one thing when it is this hot in south central Texas. It is quite another thing when my elderly uncle in La Crosse, WI has to try to contend with Austin, TX-magnitude extreme heat.

Not downplaying this current heat wave, but believe it or not, the mid-west gets HOT, lol. And frequently.

They have warmer extremes than we see here in the mid-Atlantic. La Crosse's all time high temp is hotter than DC's.

On 8/23/2023 at 1:42 PM, Its a Breeze said:

Not downplaying this current heat wave, but believe it or not, the mid-west gets HOT, lol. And frequently.

They have warmer extremes than we see here in the mid-Atlantic. La Crosse's all time high temp is hotter than DC's.

Yeah, I forgot the Midwest does get hot and humid. I remember visiting my grandmother in Palatine Illinois back in the day, about 1979, jebwalking along the Northwest Highway in ridiculous humidity and temps in the 90s. She lived at 1360 N. Grove Avenue. That entire area got developed. It looks so different today, from what it used to look like back in my grandparents' day. It was out right rural in 1979. Today it resembles 2023 Dale City Virginia. They sold the place then the new owners remodeled it quite a bit. Even the front yard looks drastically different.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic