• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rtd208

The next 8 days are averaging   77degs.(69/85) or +1.

Reached 84 here yesterday at 5pm.

Today:  78-82, wind e., m. cloudy, Rain late?, 73 tomorrow AM.

74*(93%RH) here at 7am.    76* at 9am.     78* at Noon.      79* at 1pm.      78* at 3pm.     74* at 8pm.

anybody else have like a black soot all over their leaves and outdoor plastic?

I noticed the swing set looking particularly gross, and I went down to look at it and thought it was mold, but it isn’t mold. It almost looks like soot from the wildfires but I’m not sure.

On closer inspection the leaves have it too.

Wipes right off

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Really stark contrast of 90+ days this year vs last. 

And there may only be a few more to add given the coming pattern.

Monday for sure 

Around half the number of 90° days so far.

Data for January 1, 2023 through August 17, 2023
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Name
Station Type
Number of Days Max Temperature >= 90 
ESTELL MANOR COOP 25
HARRISON COOP 25
HIGHTSTOWN 2 W COOP 22
Newark Area ThreadEx 22
NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 22
SOMERSET AIRPORT WBAN 18
FREEHOLD-MARLBORO COOP 15
TETERBORO AIRPORT WBAN

Data for January 1, 2022 through August 17, 2022
Name
Station Type
NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP WBAN 40
SOUTH JERSEY REGIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 40
Newark Area ThreadEx 40
HIGHTSTOWN 2 W COOP 39
CANOE BROOK COOP 37
SOMERSET AIRPORT WBAN 36
FREEHOLD-MARLBORO COOP 35
NEW BRUNSWICK 3 SE COOP 34
HARRISON COOP 34
New Brunswick Area ThreadEx 34
INDIAN MILLS 2 W COOP 31
ESTELL MANOR COOP 31

Data for January 1, 2023 through August 17, 2023
Name
Station Type
WEST POINT COOP 13
STONYKILL NEW YORK RAWS 12
LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 11
POUGHKEEPSIE AIRPORT WBAN 11
New York-LGA Area ThreadEx 11
Poughkeepsie Area ThreadEx 11
PORT AUTH DOWNTN MANHATTAN WALL ST HEL ICAO 9
DANSVILLE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT WBAN 8
NY CITY CENTRAL PARK WBAN 8
SHRUB OAK COOP 8
DANSVILLE COOP 8
ALBANY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 8
Albany Area ThreadEx 8
New York-Central Park Area ThreadEx 8

Data for January 1, 2022 through August 17, 2022
Name
Station Type
SARA NEW YORK RAWS 29
STONYKILL NEW YORK RAWS 26
POUGHKEEPSIE AIRPORT WBAN 26
New York-LGA Area ThreadEx 26
Poughkeepsie Area ThreadEx 26
LAGUARDIA AIRPORT WBAN 26
SARATOGA SPRINGS 4 SW COOP 23
Albany Area ThreadEx 22
SHRUB OAK COOP 22
ALBANY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WBAN 22
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

I noticed the swing set looking particularly gross, and I went down to look at it and thought it was mold, but it isn’t mold. It almost looks like soot from the wildfires but I’m not sure.

Wipes right off

Probably some type of insect excretion

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

Wipes right off

I noticed this too. Black soot floating on top of the water in the pool filter intake, and it only occurs after it rains. Not sure what it is

2 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Not a bad Drought Monitor for the middle of August!

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 10.43.33 AM.jpg

It's amazing that I'm cutting the lawn once a week this time of year. It's been a long time since I've seen grass grow like this during the heart of summer. It looks more like spring out there. I never would have imagined this in June when the grass was burnt out and we were heading into a drought. This was a spectacular turnaround. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I wonder if it could be jet fuel residue?  The rumor I heard is that planes dump excess fuel before landing, just in case there is a problem.

That would be tremendously costly and wasteful. Planes usually carry significantly more fuel than needed incase something happens and they need to modify the flight plan. Planes that travel over large bodies of water like transatlantic flights carry even more extra fuel.

80 / 72 and partly/m cloudy.   Scattered/ isolated showers, storm as trough pushes front through the next 36 hours.  By Sat (8/19) - Sun morning, NW flow dry and very nice.  Low 80s day 60s perhaps 50s at night.   Mega ridge builds over Kansas to 600 DM and pushes heat into the region Mon (8/21) / Tue (8/22) 850 MB temps >16c - 18C.  The strongest heat looks just south before ridge wanes and NW-N-NE flow arrive at some point Wed (8./23).  Hurricane  Hillary pumps the western side o the ridge before pulling trough into the Pacific NW later next week.  Flow goes back more westerly and another blast of heat looks to arrive later next week.  

Beyond there, heights look elevated into the EC, we'll see the seasonal trend fade with more ridging into the EC.  Overall warm and perhaps tropics bring in some new threats to the EC/GOM.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/GIFS/GOES16-NE-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif   

• Like 3

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 97 (2015)
NYC: 95 (2015)
LGA: 94 (1944)

Lows:

EWR: 55 (1979)
NYC: 56 (1979)
LGA: 58 (1979)

Historical:

1899: Hurricane San Ciriaco set many records on its path. Killing nearly 3,500 people in Puerto Rico, it was the deadliest hurricane to hit the island and the strongest at the time, until 30 years later when the island was affected by the Hurricane San Felipe Segundo, a Category 5 hurricane, in 1928. It was also the tenth deadliest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded. San Ciriaco is also the longest lasting Atlantic hurricane in recorded history, continuing for 28 days. On August 17, the hurricane turned back to the northwest and made landfall near Hatteras, North Carolina on the following day. San Ciriaco remains the strongest hurricane to make landfall on the Outer Banks since 1899.

1915 - A hurricane hit Galveston, TX, with wind gusts to 120 mph and a twelve foot storm surge. The storm claimed 275 lives, including forty-two on Galveston Island, with most deaths due to drowning. Of 250 homes built outside the seawall (which was constructed after the catastrophic hurricane of 1900), just ten percent were left standing. (The Weather Channel)

1946: An estimated F-4 tornado killed 11 people and injured 100 others in the Mankato, Minnesota area around 6:52 PM. The deaths and most of the injuries occurred in the complete destruction of the 26 cabins at the Green Gables tourist camp, 3 miles southwest of Mankato. A 27-ton road grader was reportedly hurled about 100 feet. Another tornado an hour later destroys downtown Wells, Minnesota.

1969 - Camille, the second worst hurricane in U.S. history, smashed into the Mississippi coast. Winds gusted to 172 mph at Main Pass Block LA, and to 190 mph near Bay Saint Louis MS. The hurricane claimed 256 lives, and caused 1.3 billion dollars damage. Several ocean going ships were carried over seven miles inland by the hurricane. The hurricane produced winds to 200 mph, and a storm surge of 24.6 feet. Complete destruction occurred in some coastal areas near the eye of the hurricane. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1969: The music festival, known as Woodstock, should have ended on this day. Jimi Hendrix, the last act to perform, was delayed due to rain on Sunday evening. Jimi Hendrix took the stage at 8:30 am Monday morning. 

1987 - Evening thunderstorms produced severe weather in the Northern and Central Plains Region. One thunderstorm spawned a tornado near Fairbury NE, along with baseball size hail and wind gusts to 100 mph, causing severe crop damage west of town. Ten cities in the eastern U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date. Syracuse NY hit 97 degrees for the first time in twenty-two years. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Fifty-five cities, from the Middle Mississippi Valley to the Middle Atlantic Coast Region, reported record high temperatures for the date. Beckley WV reported an all-time record high of 96 degrees, and Baltimore MD hit 104 degrees, marking their thirteenth day of the year with 100 degree heat. Chicago IL equalled a record with 46 days of 90 degree weather for the year. Thunderstorms produced severe weather from Wisconsin to New Jersey. Thunderstorms in New Jersey produced high winds which gusted to 92 mph at Wrightstown, and blew down a circus tent at Lavallette injuring fourteen persons. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Morning thunderstorms produced three to six inch rains in Oklahoma, and the Arkalatex area of Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana. Tom OK was soaked with 5.98 inches of rain, and Foreman AR received 5.55 inches. Evening thunderstorms produced high winds in the Wasatch Front of northern Utah. Thunderstorm winds gusted to 66 mph at Salt Lake City, and flash flooding caused up to two million dollars damage to a marina on Lake Powell. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

15 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

So about that heat next week? The beat goes on…..

Short lived but that time Mon (8/21) looks to be in the low / mid 90s based on current forecasts.  I knew when the GFs and Euro showed the ridge axis centered in Ohio the seasonal trend would be south /west of there.  Huge ridge pumped by Hillary on the west side forcing a N/NE flow by .ater Tue / Wed but flow comes around NW/W again by late next week for another day/2 of some heat.  We'll see.  Summer is similar to 2017 ish vs the other sustained heat recent years.