Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

14 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Surprised 2009 still wetter. I recall after June things got better, at least here

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Took until August here.  July's rain came in smaller buckets than June's but with equal frequency.

June 2009:  Dry for 1-8, then 21 of 22 with some RA, 18 measurable, total 9.76"
July 2009:  Dry for 5 days and measurable for 24, total 7.29"     (That 25 total/24 measurable was tied last month, in one less day.)
August 2009:  17 dry days plus 2 with T, total 6.77".  That met summer total of 23.82" is 4.71" higher than the next highest here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Took until August here.  July's rain came in smaller buckets than June's but with equal frequency.

June 2009:  Dry for 1-8, then 21 of 22 with some RA, 18 measurable, total 9.76"
July 2009:  Dry for 5 days and measurable for 24, total 7.29"     (That 25 total/24 measurable was tied last month, in one less day.)
August 2009:  17 dry days plus 2 with T, total 6.77".  That met summer total of 23.82" is 4.71" higher than the next highest here.

we lived in standish that year and I recall having contractors need most of the summer to do some carpentry work on the exterior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ineedsnow said:

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_10.png

I noted how the break in the pretty colors was right over my head - this year TS have tended to die between Farmington and here.
Wonder if the haze will short-circuit any convection.

we lived in standish that year and I recall having contractors need most of the summer to do some carpentry work on the exterior.

The town was replacing the Muddy Brook bridge that summer, and as the steep banks made a temp bridge costly, they chose to gravel the long-unmaintained road beyond our place so the dozen or so families east of the brook had access.  At least twice, juicy August TS blew out the gravel; we had dump trucks going past the house all that month.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Back to regularly scheduled programming of a weakening line approaching despite solid instability. 

The high surface-based CAPE is helping parcels accelerate to the LCL and LFC, however, the weak mid-level lapse rates (mixed-layer CAPE) then yields a much slower parcel acceleration beyond the LFC. This is why we're seeing convection easily develop, but really struggle to become deep. The strong shear is helping with the organization. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

@Cisco beach Nantucket . People talk about how warm the ocean is...68 degrees at Cisco beach ...leaving and heading for the 79f pool. Gonna need A lot more global warming to get these Ocean temps comfy

In my 50 years living in Maine, I swam in 70+ water only once.  It was in shallow (3-5 ft) water in a small bay just south of Otter Cliffs on Acadia's Loop Road - mid-afternoon on August 2, 1975, when BHB hit triple digits for the only time on record.

• Like 1