• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2023

Stormlover74

The last 3 days of July are averaging   81degs.(72/90) or +3.

Month to date is   79.4[1.9].     July should end at    79.5[+1.9].

Reached 90 here yesterday, H.I. of 106.

Today:  90-94, wind w., variable clouds, Rain by 7pm, 71 tomorrow AM.

76*(88%RH) here at 7am.     78* at 8am.    80* at Noon.      84* at 2pm.       88* at 3pm(H.I. of 99).    89* at 3:30pm(H.I. of 101)      91* at 4:30pm(H.I. of 103}    92* at 5pm(H.I. of 104)      93* at 5:15pm(H.I. of 106)       95* at 6pm(H.I. of 110)       90* at 7pm.    85* at 8pm.

78 / 73 partly to mostly cloudy with some showers into CNJ andNE-NJ.  Warm - hot and humid, where / when the sun is out temps jump to low 90s, perhaps mid 90s in spots with most sunshine.  More scattered storms during the brunt of the day so likely not too bad before more storms later this evening and overnight with frontal passage.  Looks most heaviest storms in the northern sections. Thick cloud deck about 7 - 9 hours away.

Sun (7/31) - Wed (3rd) back to or below normal, less humid and great weather low - mid 80s in the warmest spots.  Ridge is centering back near TX/OK this week with trough into the NE as the W. Atl. Ridge is contracted into the Atlantic.  Winds come back around more SW by Wed and its more warm and humid with storm chances through Fri (5th).  A bit back and forth through the opening of the week of the 8th before trough is backing into the GL and more overall warm, humid southerly flow is back as the Atl ridge is backing west.  

First week near normal / below overall

Warming the second week / humid / more storms chances.

Ridge and heights look to come up towards the end of the second week into the east.

GOES16-NE-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif  

Records Jul - 29

Highs:

EWR: 100 (1949) the NYC/NJ area was in the throws of an intense heatwave in 1949
NYC: 99 (1949)
LGA: 97 (1949)

Lows:

EWR: 59 (1937)
NYC: 59 (1914)
LGA: 62 (1984)

Historical:

1898 - The temperature at Prineville, OR, soared to 119 degrees to establish a state record, which was tied on the 10th of August at Pendleton. (The Weather Channel)

1905 - Heavy rain in southwestern Connecticut caused a dam break, and the resulting flood caused a quarter of a million dollars damage at Bridgeport. As much as eleven inches of rain fell prior to the flood. (David Ludlum)

1958: The U.S. Congress passes legislation establishing the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), a civilian agency responsible for coordinating America’s activities in space. 

1960: Severe thunderstorms brought damaging winds, possibly as high as 100 mph to central Oklahoma. Eight planes and several hangars were damaged at Wiley Post Airfield, while two aircraft and additional hangars were damaged at Will Rogers World Airport. The winds caused seven injuries in the area, including two youths who were injured by flying debris.

1981 - Fifty cattle, each weighing 800 pounds, were killed by lightning near Vance, AL. The lightning struck a tree and then spread along the ground killing the cattle. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather from Minnesota to Indiana and Illinois. A thunderstorm at Janesville, WI, produced wind gusts to 104 mph which flipped over two airplanes, and blew another plane 300 feet down the runway. The northeastern U.S. experienced some relief from the heat. Nine cities reported record low temperatures for the date, including Saint Johnsbury, VT, with a reading of 42 degrees. Barnet, VT, reported a morning low of 33 degrees, with frost reported on vegetation. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1988 - Afternoon and evening thunderstorms produced severe weather in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Hail three inches in diameter was reported south of Saint Cloud, MN. Hot weather prevailed in the western U.S. Fresno, CA reported a record thirteen straight days of 100 degree heat. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Morning thunderstorms in the Upper Midwest produced more than five inches of rain west of Virgil, SD. Afternoon and evening thunderstorms deluged the foothills and adjacent plains of Colorado with heavy rain. Rains of six to seven and a half inches fell in eight hours north of Greeley. Hail and heavy rain caused several million dollars damage in Weld County. (Storm Data) (The National Weather Summary)

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I hope Phoenix hits 110 one last time on Monday, it would be interesting to see the whole month of July there with every day at 110 or above.

With the monsoonal moisture, it's unlikely. Monday and Tuesday will likely be in the 105-108 range. Heat should return afterward and the August monthly record high temperature could be challenged next Saturday. Phoenix will still have the warmest July in terms of average monthly temperature and average monthly low temperature of any U.S. city (Death Valley locations are hotter).

9 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

According to my stats, since the top ten cold month of Feb 2015, these top ten warm months have been recorded at NYC, near miss 11-15 cases shown in ((( triple brackets ))) ... these are not adjusted for urban heat island, some of these ranks would fall slightly if a progressive u.h.i. adjustment was applied ... : 

JAN _ 1 (2023) ... (((12 2020)))

FEB _ 1 (2018) .. 2 (2017) .. 3 (2023) .. t8 (2020)

MAR _ 4 (2016) .. 7 (2020) .. (((t13 2021)))

APR _ 2 (2023) .. 3 (2017) .. (((t13 2019)))

MAY _ 2 (2015) .. 6 (2018)

JUN _ t6 (2021)

JUL _ 7 (2020) .. ((( t11 2019, t13 2022 )))

AUG _ 3 (2022) .. 4 (2016) .. 5 (2015) .. t10 (2018)

SEP _ 1 (2015) .. t10 (2016)

OCT _ 1 (2017) .. 6 (2021)

NOV _ 1 (2020) .. 2 (2015) .. (((13 2022)))

DEC _ 1 (2015) .. t3 (2021)

That is a total of 25 top ten months and 31 top 15. 

Feb 2015 was third coldest and since then the highest ranking cold month is t31 coldest Nov 2019.

I used dense rank sorting for temperature to compile the top 10. So I came up with 28 months in NYC since 2015 making the top 10 warmest temperatures. This is slightly behind Poughkeepsie which has 35 top 10 warmest months since 2015. My guess is that the tree growth over the NYC ASOS is artificially cooling site. So NYC would probably have closer to POU if the trees were kept at a standard distance from the ASOS like all other sites. Newark is similar to POU also.

………NYC…POU….Top 10 warmest months since 2015

JAN……1…….2

FEB……4……5

MAR…..2……3

APR…..3…….3

MAY….2…….3

JUN….1…….1

JUL….2……5

AUG….4…..5

SEP….2……2

OCT….2…..2

NOV….3….2

DEC…..2….2

NYC…..28 months……POU…..35 months

https://www.sqlservertutorial.net/sql-server-window-functions/sql-server-dense_rank-function/

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

Up to 81 here with some breaks in the clouds and more sun now.  We'll see if this is enough a break in clouds, showers to get some spots to 90.  Next 90s would be post Aug 9.

vis_nj_anim.gif 

Are the storms in western PA the ones getting us later or will something else develop?

Terrible timing today...and any chance they are more isolated and could miss areas?

2 hours ago, FPizz said:

.27 last night

The overnight and early morning downpours missed me, but hoping to get a storm later in the afternoon. 

Sunday through Wednesday is gonna be an incredible low humidity stretch for the end of July and beginning of August. I wouldn't be surprised to see dewpoints get down to the high 40s Tuesday into Wednesday. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

Are the storms in western PA the ones getting us later or will something else develop?

Terrible timing today...and any chance they are more isolated and could miss areas?

I would not be surprised to see popup storms ahead of the main line / front but a period oh storms / showers is very likely between 5pm and into the night

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

The overnight and early morning downpours missed me, but hoping to get a storm later in the afternoon. 

Sunday through Wednesday is gonna be an incredible low humidity stretch for the end of July and beginning of August. I wouldn't be surprised to see dewpoints get down to the high 40s Tuesday into Wednesday. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Poker2015 said:

Hope things hold up for your party and the balloons launch.  I gave up on the party's 2 years ago.  I always had bad luck.

9 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Hope things hold up for your party and the balloons launch.  I gave up on the party's 2 years ago.  I always had bad luck.

It's my wife's 40th party today/Balloons that won't go up...

Last night they went right over our house, but I was playing softball

• Like 2