Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

72 and mostly sunny here...

It was pancaked in about hr or 2 ago but has since opened up quite a bit.  

I guess if one is up in the mts up N or near CC Bay where the soothing aloe of Labrador's ass vomit death kisses the coast ... sure, it's an unwilling anus day. But it's probably going to improve... maybe later if the gradient orients more NW--> SE ...

Btw, whom ever said that, I am not "pushing" for 90s at the end of the week.  I never did.     For everyone else, I'd pump the breaks on widespread heat anyway.   The indexes offer a signficant heat signal, but the operational runs are having a hard time fully committing to it.  These recent GFS runs won't allow it to get significantly hot.   We should assume at a mere 108 hour out, the performance wouldn't be too crazy bad but who knows - the flow type is nebular and with loss of coherence comes more randomization.  You kinda need R-wave structures to get better generalized predictive skill.

Anyway, enjoy your usually displaced trade-wind easterlies at high latitudes - a recurring theme in recent springs and early summers going back some 5 to 7 years btw.  

image.png.005d9792f8c717bfa187182136fdca8a.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is wild to me.  I did not know thunder concussive blasts could cause damage like this but the internet says it can: 

"The shock wave and thunder (at very close range to the lightning bolt) can cause property damage. Windows have been shattered by the concussion of thunder, and nail-supported drywall has popped away from wood studs in houses."

My sister and brother-in-law's next door neighbor on Long Island had a tree take a direct hit by lightning yesterday... the tree was hit and blew up with bark scattered into neighbors yards... but the concussive blast destroyed their deck.  I had no idea that was a thing.  They can't think of anything else that caused the deck to just blow apart.

1.jpg.93eb9972865a9af206f5ffa1af79b7d5.jpg

2a.jpg.80533c9b98b3b6bb82fb9d51cee1e32a.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is wild to me.  I did not know thunder concussive blasts could cause damage like this but the internet says it can: 

"The shock wave and thunder (at very close range to the lightning bolt) can cause property damage. Windows have been shattered by the concussion of thunder, and nail-supported drywall has popped away from wood studs in houses."

My sister and brother-in-law's next door neighbor on Long Island had a tree take a direct hit by lightning yesterday... the tree was hit and blew up with bark scattered into neighbors yards... but the concussive blast destroyed their deck.  I had no idea that was a thing.  They can't think of anything else that caused the deck to just blow apart.

Well ya sold me at, "...the internet says it can"    haha... 

No but I've heard of this in the past.  Windows mainly ... but the wood edifice component makes me wonder if a stepped leader were in involved with that, too.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I just got home from Maine, and I got as bunch of large branches in my trees cracked hanging to the ground and large branches scattered in my yard, was there a lot of wind yesterday in Southern Worcester County?

There might have been some wind in those cells. 

• Thanks 1

Meh... pattern appears at minimum to be normal, but there's still likely to be some above normal.   Not sure extremeness, though some backing down over the the ideas from 3 days ago, as far end of this week, sure.   Not unusual ...seems everything that is ever mapped on any weather chart by any weather model beyond any D5, regardless of season, the model has to take 30 or 40 % of the amplitude back when crossing into the mid range.  Been bitching about this for years... just the nature of the technology I suppose.

Also, week two looks like there's hints at a Bahama Blue pattern there.  The Euro stalls the L/W along or just west of Appalachia beyond D7 and establishes a deep layer DP flow out from east of Florida. GFS has been doing quasi the same.  That may trade a "failed" heat wave in the foreground for deep blues next to white tower bee-bee shower in humidity.   Might be interesting that models have been toying with an early MDR - I've often wondered why there was never a cane approaching the Bahamas with a Bahama Blue conveyor in place.  Or maybe that was 1938 

Not sure that's less than summery ...it's just not 94/72 under dusty blue.

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I wonder if there was ltg involved like Tip said. That fence in the background seems ok? If that was from a blast, I’d have to imagine windows nearby would be broken? That damage looks like it had some force to it. Would think windows would be broken. 

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Are we really looking at a bona fide tropical system in the MDR already? How often does that happen in June?

It's rare but not completely unheard of ...

I'm wondering if the 'marine heat wave' that's presently observed may be playing a role, as I'm sure is in the "hot" discussion.

Courtesy of Weather.com ...here are the 200 years of June Atlantic cyclones.  Interesting that only recently has this begun to happen.

june-storms-1842-2022-final.jpg?crop=16:

• Like 2