Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wiz gonna waste a hundred bucks on gas and drive 400 miles for a marginal risk?

It would be more like $40. I have a near full tan of gas and get just under 40 mpg on highway but leaning against going towards Scranton tomorrow. Maybe go towards southern CT during the evening and try to get some lightning with stuff late evening

2 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

When I was driving home from work on route 2 you could see a ton of trees browning..  

Yeah not a healthy look in general. The pine trees seem to be afflicted with something as well. I would guess if we even get a mild drought there would be some widespread damage. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 7:08 PM, weatherwiz said:

I will be assessing models in my bathroom with my head in the toilet. If I'm not happy with what I see I will continuously flush until my scrawny, slender, fragile body is sucked into the pipes of hell.  

Good evening ww the only thing I could suggest. …. “Call Roto-Rooter that’s the way and away go troubles down the drain.” Stay well as always…

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not too bad considering it’s also been very cool. Definitely haves and have nots last week around SNE. 

Have not here. .75 on the the month. .10 here and there doesn’t do much.

Haven’t had to use the AC much yet. On tonight because the house is stale, but not too bad overall 

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

No idea, my guess would be close to double that?

What? That sounded like pretty normal to me, why I asked.  Normal is usually 3” to 4” per month at most stations.

Looks like May is 3.21” normal at TAN, ASOS was less than two-tenths below normal (3.03”).

June so far is 0.69”, normal is 1.38”… so that’s a bit low.

TAN is 3.72” to your 3.95”.  Average is 4.59”.  So you’re about 0.60” under.  Just need a good downpour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What? That sounded like pretty normal to me, why I asked.  Normal is usually 3” to 4” per month at most stations.

Looks like May is 3.21” normal at TAN, ASOS was less than two-tenths below normal (3.03”).

June so far is 0.69”, normal is 1.38”… so that’s a bit low.

TAN is 3.72” to your 3.95”.  Average is 4.59”.  So you’re about 0.60” under.  Just need a good downpour.

Guess it’s not as bad as it seems. I’ll have to go back and look back towards March. Seems awful dry all the way around to me.

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Guess it’s not as bad as it seems. I’ll have to go back and look back towards March. Seems awful dry all the way around to me.

Yeah I don’t know… part of me thinks we over-estimate how wet we think it’s supposed to be in this forum discussion.  The average I’ve always looked at was 3/4ths to an inch per week is about average for most spots.  You get a 2” event, good for at least a couple weeks of climo.  A 3-4” event covers a month.

Also this expectation that suburban lawn grass is supposed to stay green without help, likely plays a role.  Folks see lawn grass going dry (but not wild tall grasses) and assume it’s been more abnormally dry to climo than reality?

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I don’t know… part of me thinks we over-estimate how wet we think it’s supposed to be in this forum discussion.  The average I’ve always looked at was 3/4ths to an inch per week is about average for most spots.  You get a 2” event, good for at least a couple weeks of climo.  A 3-4” event covers a month.

Also this expectation that suburban lawn grass is supposed to stay green without help, likely plays a role.  Folks see lawn grass going dry (but not wild tall grasses) and assume it’s been more abnormally dry to climo than reality?

I think part of it is because a large chunk of that fell at once earlier in May iirc. I don’t think he’s had much outside of that.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think part of it is because a large chunk of that fell at once earlier in May iirc. I don’t think he’s had much outside of that.

.76 since may 21st. 3+ weeks with 3/4” of rain is dry. I don’t care where you live.

When you get the rain factors as well. If I get like 3” of rain on May 1st, and then get very little for the next two months, just looking at the numbers, it doesn’t look horrible, but reality is much different.

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

.76 since may 21st. 3+ weeks with 3/4” of rain is dry. I don’t care where you live.

When you get the rain factors as well. If I get like 3” of rain on May 1st, and then get very little for the next two months, just looking at the numbers, it doesn’t look horrible, but reality is much different.

For sure and it almost adds to what I think.  Over all the years that build climo, how many are there that involve prolonged dry stretches with one big QPF event? Probably a decent amount.  It seems to be how we get our precip in the warm season in the northeast.

It's probably be doing this in the means for hundreds of years. Might not be that abnormal to have some big water events, but decent stretches of dryness.  The vegetation will be fine and survive.  It's hearty to that type of water pattern in New England.

The non-naturally occurring (planted or seeded) stuff though suffers much more like lawns and other vegetation.  This stuff of "we need to water" is modern issue.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

For sure and it almost adds to what I think.  Over all the years that build climo, how many are there that involve prolonged dry stretches with one big QPF event? Probably a decent amount.  It seems to be how we get our precip in the warm season in the northeast.

It's probably be doing this in the means for hundreds of years. Might not be that abnormal to have some big water events, but decent stretches of dryness.  The vegetation will be fine and survive.  It's hearty to that type of water pattern in New England.

The non-naturally occurring (planted or seeded) stuff though suffers much more like lawns and other vegetation.  This stuff of "we need to water" is modern issue.

Yeah as a whole it’s not bad. I think he means from a lawn or gardening point of view. You like to have more frequent watering from Mother Nature. But it’s been such a cool couple of weeks that imo even a dry spell is tolerable. 

• Like 2