Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think this can adjust west further, but not that far. This’d be a lock if that trough were going negative, but it looks like those pulling for a hit will have to rely on positioning and timing. 

If it there were to be more impressive trough tugging on it, then yes... big hit.  Over the many years I've dealt with northward moving hurricanes, I almost always bet a bit of a westward model track bias unless there is trough really holding it on a due north track or one going negative to assist in pulling it a bit northwest.  Without that, the ridge has to be powerful and actually increasingly in strength to hold it on a due north track.  Otherwise the tendency is for a fade east of the modeled track as it gets north of the Hatteras latitude.  Just from personal experience...

• Like 6

Just now, FXWX said:

If it there were to be more impressive trough tugging on it, then yes... big hit.  Over the many years I've dealt with northward moving hurricanes, I almost always bet a bit of a westward model track bias unless there is trough really holding it on a due north track or one going negative to assist in pulling it a bit northwest.  Without that, the ridge has to be powerful and actually increasingly in strength to hold it on a due north track.  Otherwise the tendency is for a fade east of the modeled track as it gets north of the Hatteras latitude.  Just from personal experience...

I hope you're right.  As someone sitting in the "visitor's section" of the stadium, I am growing worried.  Just too much time left on the clock.

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’d have a massive and expanding wind field . It’d be wild 

Probably not... my experience is that a track like the euro op does not live up to the modeled billing.  Usually the west side wind field doesn't live up the billing.  Not trying to be a kill joy, but my experience says the western wind field with that forecast track will disappoint west of the immediate eastern Mass / Cape area...

• Like 1

in case anyone's skipped the 'fine print'

Confidence remains high in the track for Lee, with almost no change 
made to the NHC track forecast. Lee should continue moving 
west-northwestward along the southern edge of the subtropical ridge 
for the next 5 days. The ridge is forecast to gradually weaken by 
early next week, causing Lee to slow down. This track should keep 
the core of Lee and its damaging winds north of the Leeward Islands. 
There is uncertainty in any northward turn of Lee beginning early 
next week, but it is too soon to speculate about specific potential 
impacts a week or more out.
  • Like 1