Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 - tracking the tropics

mcglups

25 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Can't get to excited until it gets to 75 West.  Almost everything that hits us has to get that far west or it recurves... a lot more variation in latitude than longitude...

track_new_eng.png

Excellent post. I have zero interest in this because it looks to run up 70W.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Extremely remote chance, but track away.

Yeah, makes sense to take the models with a grain of salt right now. It’s still 10 days away and climatology says a major hurricane landfalling in New England is unlikely especially during a strong El Niño. If it’s still there by day 5 then I’ll be interested.

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

This will be ticking west. Anyone counting this out now is nuts.

I'm seeing stronger SE Canada ridging and a stronger Midwest trough.

You only need a couple hundred miles of adjustments which is easily attainable well over a week out. 

The models are starting to show more separation between Margot and Lee.  This would help keep the ridge in the Atlantic intact .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

The models are starting to show more separation between Margot and Lee.  This would help keep the ridge in the Atlantic intact .

Well it’s staying intriguing…all you can ask at this point. There will be other surprises(like Margot, good or not) coming along too that we can’t see just yet, that will be influential as well. 

I think One thing that Is Likely being over estimated is Lee’s winds when it tracks @ our latitude . It’s going to be a very mature hurricane early next week , and it’s going to go thru multiple ERC’s and expand into quite a large storm by mid next week . It’s pressure can be 960’s to 970’s and be a borderline Cat 1 cane after it travels (not super fast) but at moderate speed  just past Bermuda’s latitude    The Ocean fuel near Bermuda supportive of a strong cane has been upwelled by Franklin and Idalia. It may begin to revover a bit over the next 3 days but soon it will be upwelled again . One example is tropical storm Earl had 965 pressure as it passed a bit East of our latitude  (70mph) winds . Unless of course models can speed up Lee’s forward speed between Bermuda General area And our latitude (also if it goes west of current track )

While it’s North of Puerto Rico this will peak probably Sunday’ish near a cat 5, and by Tuesday while sw of Bermuda NHC has this down to 130 as a slow moving large Cat 3. There are several examples of N Atlantic very large mature tropical systems of lower pressure (965-970 mb) but that are now large storms with max winds 60-70 knots . I think there is a good chance Lee could be one at 41N latitude 

The Surf is going to be massive , and the only way I see that not occurring to that degree if the future M storm tracks closer on models and opens up an escape by eroding Atlantic ridge faster (this is not currently modeled to do that nearly enough to cause an earlIer recurve (Over or SE of Bermuda ) that would minimize swell for NE

9 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Made landfall on Long Island and then in CT.  Some info I looked up said cat 3 on landfall in LI.  Some other info said cat 2 on landfall.  NHC said cat 3 on first landfall in LI, but then it made another landfall in Groton, CT.  Whether it was a cat 3 at that point I don’t know…? But whatever..it’s close I guess. 

Eye went right over GON, RI coast in RFQ . BID 125 mph before anemometer snapped. Surge was a 3 wind a 3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I think One thing that Is Likely being over estimated is Lees winds when it tracks @ our latitude . It’s going to be a very mature hurricane early next week , and it’s going to go thru multiple ERC’s and expand into quite a large storm by mid next week . It’s pressure can be 960’s to 970’s and be a borderline Cat 1 cane after it travels (not super fast) but at moderate speed  just past Bermuda’s latitude    The Ocean fuel near Bermuda supportive of a strong cane has been upwelled by Franklin and Idalia. It may begin to revover a bit over the next 3 days but soon it will be upwelled again . One (extreme) example is tropical storm opal had 965 pressure in that area.

While it’s North of Puerto Rico this will peak probably Sunday’ish near a cat 5, and by Tuesday while sw of Bermuda NHC has this down to 130 as a slow moving large Cat 3. There are several examples of N Atlantic very large mature tropical systems of lower pressure (965-970 mb) but that are now large storms with max winds 60-70 knots . I think there is a good chance Lee could be one at 41N latitude 

The Surf is going to be massive , and the only way I see that not occurring to that degree if the future M storm tracks closer on models and opens up an escape by eroding Atlantic ridge faster (this is not currently modeled to do that nearly enough to cause an earlIre recurve (Over or SE of Bermuda ) that would minimize swell for NE

Just got wood