Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024

Ji

9 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would not want to take my chances with a healthy east-based el nino.

I would. Every single Nino has been above average here In the last 30 years. Not a wall to wall winter. But above average because we get slammed with coastals. Now close to ocean I get it. But I am ecstatic about what I am seeing.

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wait your area produced in 97-98?

97-98 was front loaded if I remember correctly. I didn't save totals then. But we had snow here before Christmas. And a few other storms in January if my records are correct. Was definitely the worst as far as ninos go. But I will take ANYTHING other than the endless Nina hell we have been in for most of the decade. 

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I would. Every single Nino has been above average here In the last 30 years. Not a wall to wall winter. But above average because we get slammed with coastals. Now close to ocean I get it. But I am ecstatic about what I am seeing.

I guess my point is that basin wide/modoki is preferred over east based.

12 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

97-98 was front loaded if I remember correctly. I didn't save totals then. But we had snow here before Christmas. And a few other storms in January if my records are correct. Was definitely the worst as far as ninos go. But I will take ANYTHING other than the endless Nina hell we have been in for most of the decade. 

HGR had 13.3" in the 97- 98 season. Ranked 110 out of 124 seasons for snow totals. With our new base state my wag would be another horrific outcome with the same scenario. Alot of mid 30s perfect track rain storms. I agree though I would roll the dice with anything other than a Nina hell. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 12:15 PM, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would not want to take my chances with a healthy east-based el nino.

I think we just don't have a large enough dataset. Single-digit number of years. I think a lot of Strong Nino's in the late 1800s, early 1900s were cold anyway. 

The pattern they always produce is a -NOI, which has to do with the North Pacific High (right off the west coast). It puts a trough there (and to the GOA). If you plot a NE Pacific Ocean trough, you have a trough over the east, but the 3 examples of Strong Nino's on record had extended 2nd wave ridges, from coast-to-coast, which I'm going to say is more of an anomaly. 

On 6/25/2023 at 10:30 PM, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

The last 2 El Nino's / -QBO's were 14-15 and 09-10, that's the 2 on record in the last 25 years. Last Winter was La Nina/ +QBO (opposite). Extend it to 1979 and you have 86-87 and 91-92. 

I've contested that a surface +NAO could work better for us these days than -NAO's, but that's another story. 

With a - QBO, El Nino and low sea ice backdrop it should yield a weaker than normal PV and colder temps in the East. How cold when it matters is unknown at this time.   

16 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And I don't get that...aren't upgrades supposed make stuff, well...better? Lol Why do some model upgrades seem to make things worse?

The problem with complex, interconnect models like these are that you can’t just simply “fix” one thing and make it better.  Let’s say you increase the resolution.  While there are huge benefits to that, there are also potential downsides because every weather model has estimates built in and those may not be valid anymore at a different resolution.  

It also depends on what is being verified.  The modeling centers run and assess for quite a while before release.  But if they are focused on, say, heights and temperature, they may not care as much if east coast cyclones are now not handled quite as well.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, frd said:

With a - QBO, El Nino and low sea ice backdrop it should yield a weaker than normal PV and colder temps in the East. How cold when it matters is unknown at this time.   

If the precip drought continues, we could be looking at the potential for some boomers going into the Winter (as that would signal it's a macro pattern).  

Latest edition of the CanSIPS is suggesting an El Nino somewhat weaker than last run- more on the moderate side, still basin wide, and with strongest sst anomalies shifting westward through winter . H5 maps are less weenie than last run, but through all the coarseness of a seasonal model, still suggestive of an overall pattern typical of a Nino, and possibly quite favorable for the MA, esp late winter. 

cansips_z500a_nhem_8.png

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

It's still a macro-pattern, that means more activity with fewer systems. Seem pretty fitting going into an El Nino winter. Watch the central-ENSO subsurface, this has been cooling, and if that region continues not to warm the El Nino will have less effect in the Winter, despite what happens at the surface. 

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

new NMME. pretty much moderate to strong... super Nino losing a lot of credence at this point

nino34.rescaling_NMME.png.79a352df793cfb204d47bcd0d163a728.pngnino34.rescaling.ENSMEAN.png.9715c07df985b3695fc9757e64d30eb0.png

Yeah that’s what we want, but hoping it does not continue trending weaker. Otherwise nino effects will get washed out with background warming

• WxUSAF changed the title to Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024