Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024

Ji

47 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

hi. so the CanSIPS now has a super Nino hovering just at 2C, but it's actually a good thing. the forcing is still over the dateline and is stronger, so the blocking and overall +PNA/-NAO pattern is amplified. it's pretty sick looking

years like 1972 and 1991 are still in the cards, but this is very encouraging now that we're into August. that WPAC warm pool might be a big help. could give us Modoki-like forcing with a basin-wide event

cansips_chi200Mean_month_global_fh6_trend.thumb.gif.248333dc30e2caaf2132851530f6071e.gifcansips_z500aMean_month_namer_fh7_trend.thumb.gif.a0b62ca1594adaa4c90fd0bd45c03a4b.gif

Nice look.

Worth noting 72-73 had that big snowstorm in the south (GA/SC/E NC) and near normal DJF temps. So I wouldn’t kick that analog out of bed. The MA was just unlucky that year. 

1991-92 might have gotten ruined by pinatubo

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

hi. so the CanSIPS now has a super Nino hovering just at 2C, but it's actually a good thing. the forcing is still over the dateline and is stronger, so the blocking and overall +PNA/-NAO pattern is amplified. it's pretty sick looking

years like 1972 and 1991 are still in the cards, but this is very encouraging now that we're into August. that WPAC warm pool might be a big help. could give us Modoki-like forcing with a basin-wide event

cansips_chi200Mean_month_global_fh6_trend.thumb.gif.248333dc30e2caaf2132851530f6071e.gifcansips_z500aMean_month_namer_fh7_trend.thumb.gif.a0b62ca1594adaa4c90fd0bd45c03a4b.gif

We’ve never had a super Nino with the forcing centered west. We’ve had east and basin wide.  It’s been theorized a west based super Nino would be very good. Maybe we will see. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We’ve never had a super Nino with the forcing centered west. We’ve had east and basin wide.  It’s been theorized a west based super Nino would be very good. Maybe we will see. 

yeah that kind of forcing is unprecedented with a Nino that strong. tough to say what'll happen this winter but I like what I'm seeing

the forcing is really all that matters... in previous super Ninos, the forcing is much closer to 150W. I'm excluding 97-98 since it was SO east based. also including 1991-92 since it was basin-wide and peaked at 1.7C. 1991-92 is the best analog out of all years in the first composite. one of the best of all for this winter, IMO

the CanSIPS (and last month's C3S, which is every seasonal in an ensemble) has it much closer to the dateline than those winters. the new CanSIPS is even west of those years! it's much more comparable to a composite of 09-10, 02-03, 86-87, and 57-58. weenie years, but still. those years are all viable analogs with forcing that looks like this

8fJxm449j6.png.dfd432425cd496d0ff42b6101da1fd9e.png

vHj7cmA1C3.png.4d608d8b263703f534acb370e4755138.pngcansips_chi200Mean_month_global_5.thumb.png.c497d65bbce9a7673397e67e8df91554.png

• Like 3

West based super niño or bust!!!!:damage:

In all seriousness… if we’re seeing this same look on models as far as the strength / positioning of the Niño is concerned come late September and beyond… perhaps this winter will make up for the disastrous past few we’ve endured.  

REALLY like seeing the -PNA regime finally broken down. 

• Like 3

On 8/1/2023 at 2:44 PM, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah that kind of forcing is unprecedented with a Nino that strong. tough to say what'll happen this winter but I like what I'm seeing

the forcing is really all that matters... in previous super Ninos, the forcing is much closer to 150W. I'm excluding 97-98 since it was SO east based. also including 1991-92 since it was basin-wide and peaked at 1.7C. 1991-92 is the best analog out of all years in the first composite. one of the best of all for this winter, IMO

the CanSIPS (and last month's C3S, which is every seasonal in an ensemble) has it much closer to the dateline than those winters. the new CanSIPS is even west of those years! it's much more comparable to a composite of 09-10, 02-03, 86-87, and 57-58. weenie years, but still. those years are all viable analogs with forcing that looks like this

8fJxm449j6.png.dfd432425cd496d0ff42b6101da1fd9e.png

vHj7cmA1C3.png.4d608d8b263703f534acb370e4755138.pngcansips_chi200Mean_month_global_5.thumb.png.c497d65bbce9a7673397e67e8df91554.png

Meaning the winter MJO would be firing in regions 7, 8, and 1?  Maybe less rotation into the warm phases? 

July 2023 was the 11th hottest July on record in the United States. Maine, Florida, Arizona, and New Mexico all experienced their hottest July on record, with an additional 8 states seeing a top five warmest month. Only 5 states - all in the upper midwest - were significantly below the average.

https://ibb.co/MRC39bT

Arizona and New Mexico demolished their records for hottest month by more than 1.5°. That's enormous on a statewide basis.

12 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

that does NOT look like a classic EB Nino. no idea what he’s talking about 

Models seem to be doubling down on dateline forcing and active STJ. 

If it were April, I’d be dismissive. 

But now that it’s August, it’s probably time to start paying attention 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

Without even looking I'm sure snowmannumbs has parroted that tweet in the main thread to support his 'opinion'.

If it snows a lot I get to enjoy the winter. If it’s another torch snowless winter the “it’s not actually snowing less, your eyes don’t work and you can’t math” crew have to shut up. Win either way. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

I'm good with what he had in 09-10 thank you

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

If it snows a lot I get to enjoy the winter. If it’s another torch snowless winter the “it’s not actually snowing less, your eyes don’t work and you can’t math” crew have to shut up. Win either way. 

I would honestly take a failure of this winter if it meant the it’s actually not snowing crew  stopped posting. 

18 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I think he likes being the cold-water-thrower for east coast snow weenies too. He knows his stuff, but I think that colors it a bit.

That's a good point. He's got a history of this kind of thing, so it makes sense that he'd double down. If he hits, he can gloat. If he busts, who cares?

• Like 1

• WxUSAF changed the title to Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024