Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024

Ji

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Another local TV met teams outlook that I think is supposed to message “above normal” snow (because this is, strictly, for DC alone) and ends up being slightly below normal to well below normal for most of the rest of the area. 

Only one left is Topper he will go dud

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Another local TV met teams outlook that I think is supposed to message “above normal” snow (because this is, strictly, for DC alone) and ends up being slightly below normal to well below normal for most of the rest of the area. 

ABC 7 isn't the A Team of forecasting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

That + sign is doing heavy lifting out in the mountains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Canaan valley in 30-35” would maybe be their least snowy year on record? Lol

Yea the basic lack of climo factored into those maps is comical...but on the science side I am also not sure about the consensus of hedging towards slightly above normal snowfall.  When I compiled all the analogs...actually there were some duds, like one season near to slightly above normal depending on location, and the rest were way way way above normal snow years.  The analogs suggest the most likely outcome this year is actually a blockbuster 40" type winter or a dud.  By dud I don't mean no snow at all like last year but a dud by Nino standards, meaning well below normal snowfall.  1992, 1995, 2007 types.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea the basic lack of climo factored into those maps is comical...but on the science side I am also not sure about the consensus of hedging towards slightly above normal snowfall.  When I compiled all the analogs...actually there were some duds, like one season near to slightly above normal depending on location, and the rest were way way way above normal snow years.  The analogs suggest the most likely outcome this year is actually a blockbuster 40" type winter or a dud.  By dud I don't mean no snow at all like last year but a dud by Nino standards, meaning well below normal snowfall.  1992, 1995, 2007 types.  

I personally toss 91-92 entirely due to Pinatubo. And Pinatubo =\ Hunga Tonga. 57-58 seems to have a lot going for it as an analog. It was a well AN snowfall winter as well. I think even adjusting it for climate warming would suggest optimism for snow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I personally toss 91-92 entirely due to Pinatubo. And Pinatubo =\ Hunga Tonga. 57-58 seems to have a lot going for it as an analog. It was a well AN snowfall winter as well. I think even adjusting it for climate warming would suggest optimism for snow.

If I went back further 1958 and 1966 would be in my analogs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

This map is not "slightly to well below normal" for the 81-corridor.  22-30 inches can actually be slightly above normal.   As far as Canaan, they border on 36" +. which is infinity.

I'm like PSU, I can see 10 - 50 inches.  Current repetitive Sahara like precip. patterns suggest 10 inches but I have high hopes for a pattern change.

El Nino is rapidly shifting to west-based, and there are no negative anomalies below the western ENSO region. December is the 1st month where there are strong correlated effects in the N. Pacific from the NPH to PNA... we should be golden for a mostly +PNA Winter I think.. The subsurface is different from "Strong Nino's" that had cold water in the western subsurface. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

El Nino is rapidly shifting to west-based, and there are no negative anomalies below the western ENSO region. December is the 1st month where there are strong correlated effects in the N. Pacific from the NPH to PNA... we should be golden for a mostly +PNA Winter I think.. The subsurface is different from "Strong Nino's" that had cold water in the western subsurface. 

As you know, Eric Webb , snowman 19 begs to differ saying it's going to East based. Eric gave his reasons. Hopefully ur right Chuck. If warming does propagate eastward per Webb's reasoning, I still can't see how you'd get East based. Basin wide, possibly. 

16 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

There is a warm pocket by the dateline that in relative terms is greater than the eastern regions anomaly right now.  

Yeah, see that. I think basically Eric thinks the Eastern area will warm to that level. Even if it did, it wouldn't still be just " East based" as he says 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...