• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024

Ji

We are getting so much precipitation. I would love for this pattern to last into the Winter... 2018, 2021 and I think 2022 were false alarms (summer/fall pattern), but we were heavy -PNA then, which we don't have now. 4th favorable summer season start but we have an El Nino now, so it's looking good for now

central-ENSO-subsurface is what I look for, and that is starting to warm again. today and yesterday west and central subsurface have gone Weak-El Nino again, which favors N. Pacific Low. 

WB (JB) first look winter forecast is for above normal snowfall and below normal temps.  Mid-January onward forecasted to be the best winter period.  Forecast contingent on Modoki El Nino look.  August EURO and Canadian long range forecasts support this evolution.  November JMA also appears to be evolving this way.

Like winter,  Commanders always look good in August too.

Below is WB November JMA.

IMG_1608.png

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB (JB) first look winter forecast is for above normal snowfall and below normal temps.  Mid-January onward forecasted to be the best winter period.  Forecast contingent on Modoki El Nino look.  August EURO and Canadian long range forecasts support this evolution.  November JMA also appears to be evolving this way.

Like winter,  Commanders always look good in August too.

Below is WB November JMA.

IMG_1608.png

Umm don't forget about the Ravens too!

59 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Every year with him. 2017-2018 he was all about 10-15" storms for Baltimore while we were 33 and rain.

Someone who is always biased in favor of snow is just as bad as someone who is always biased against snow regardless if the pattern is hostile or favorable. There are both personalities out there and on this forum. As much as we dont like to hear it, it's harder to get snow then it is not to get snow in the mid-atlantic.

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The nino is a little more east based looking than I would prefer right now...  

from what I’ve seen, the idea of a modoki seems basically dead. Basin-wide still seems possible or plausible and HM has a short thread on Twitter this morning suggesting that warm anomalies should be expanding westward soon. At least that’s what I think he’s saying…

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

from what I’ve seen, the idea of a modoki seems basically dead. Basin-wide still seems possible or plausible and HM has a short thread on Twitter this morning suggesting that warm anomalies should be expanding westward soon. At least that’s what I think he’s saying…

We're playing with fire IMO.  Both in a good and bad way.  If we can get a basin wide that is better than east based.  It's a sliding scale of course and other factors will come into play...but the results of basin wide events are on the whole better than purely east based.  Typically basin wide events have had variance with some very warm periods but also some periods favorable for snow.  I think DC underperformed a bit in 2016.  There were several other opportunities for a big snow in January, February and March that winter but only the one worked out.  It was THE ONE...but still it could have had more than one hit with some luck.  But the warm periods were also crazy torches. However, if we get a strong central based nino I do worry given the current extremely warm background base state... if the warmth just overwhelms everything.  

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The nino is a little more east based looking than I would prefer right now...  

the forcing likely has a western lean to it given the pull of the WPAC warm pool. the MEI is also a good bit lower than the ONI, suggesting that some of the punch is taken out of it due to the WPAC. modeling seems to be suggesting both of these outcomes, which is encouraging

• Like 3

That has happened in the past, but usually a GOA low, or low pressure where the NPH (North Pacific High) is, correlates to a downstream trough over the east coast. 97-98 and 72-73 both had subsurface negative anomalies, and I can prove that "bad El Nino's" were just -PNA patterns, because of La Nina-like subsurfaces.. 

1 minute ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

That has happened in the past, but usually a GOA low, or where the NPH (North Pacific High) is, correlates to a downstream trough over the east coast. 97-98 and 72-73 both had subsurface negative anomalies, and I can prove that "bad El Nino's" were just -PNA patterns, because of La Nina-like subsurfaces.. 

Hope you're right Chuck.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF changed the title to Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024