Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 28th-March 1st long duration Miller B threat

George001

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Icon 10-11 for sne off 10-1 maps. 

Yeah that makes more sense based on QPF. I think some were using the “snow depth change” maps which can be low…esp in any event that may have decent snow growth and below freezing temps. 

• Like 1

I actually thought the GFS was an improvement, farther N and W with the primary low and then weaker confluence to the north provides a bit more coastal enhancement. That's still good for a widespread 6-12", in this winter I certainly would be happy with it. Would be a quick mover though without any mechanism to slow it down, unlike those wild solutions from yesterday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Let’s stop the arguing now. And the mehing(I hate that f’n word), and let’s enjoy the tracking. The big dog is gone, but a 3-6” storm for most (some places more)should be in the cards for a good chunk of SNE.  This is so much better than 45-50 and clouds, with nothing to track all winter. 

Lets enjoy the model theater that is now upon us. And if it goes to nothing, it’s not like this would be a surprise this season.

Now Bring on the 12z runs …

Well said! At this point I will take any actual ground coverage that isn't dissipated by dinner time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that makes more sense based on QPF. I think some were using the “snow depth change” maps which can be low…esp in any event that may have decent snow growth and below freezing temps. 

I think you guys are about to make up for loss time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ughh I was pretty excited with some features of the GFS looking better...but I seriously think we would struggle to really accumulate. 

Bad snow growth may limit up there, but temps are pretty cold for the bulk of the precip.. Several inches seems likely from the northern 3rd of CT on up.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure why we feel the need to blast people for voicing the fact that 7-10" is dissappointing given this had the potential for so much more..."stupidity"? 'Cmon, dude...40" was a very long shot, but this had a very realistic chance to be a pretty high end ordeal and now it isn't. I'm not sure why storm enthusiasts need to pretend that doesn't blow while at the same time being glad that there is a bonafide event en route during a shitty season. The two aren't mutually exclusive. 

I totally disagree in this terrible winter people should be happy we're getting plowable snow, don't know what to tell you on this one. We had a few runs go bezerk over 130+ hours out. There should be no investment in a model outcome at that time frame. It was never a completely viable outcome. It showed a historic blizzard at far too early a time frame, not sure how it can be a disappointment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Bad snow growth may limit up there, but temps are pretty cold for the bulk of the precip.. Several inches seems likely from the northern 3rd of CT on up.. 

It seems pretty close. 925/850 are certainly cold enough for snow but the surface could be a question. I guess we'll have to see how much temperatures climb through the day Monday. With thick cloud cover coming in quickly we may not drop much during the evening and until we get a more northeasterly component to the wind. 

Above 925/850 though seems to raise some big questions. Verbatim the GFS is only around -2C to -3C at 700 and -17C to -19C. With the majority of the lift well below this I can see horrific snow growth (even a solid mixture of sleet). 

Will wait for 12z GFS bufkit, but my guess is we would be looking at snow ratios around 7:1 or so. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It seems pretty close. 925/850 are certainly cold enough for snow but the surface could be a question. I guess we'll have to see how much temperatures climb through the day Monday. With thick cloud cover coming in quickly we may not drop much during the evening and until we get a more northeasterly component to the wind. 

Above 925/850 though seems to raise some big questions. Verbatim the GFS is only around -2C to -3C at 700 and -17C to -19C. With the majority of the lift well below this I can see horrific snow growth (even a solid mixture of sleet). 

Will wait for 12z GFS bufkit, but my guess is we would be looking at snow ratios around 7:1 or so. 

Does latitude help?

The 6z EPS makes much more sense to me than the 12z GEFS.

The GEFS is phase happy with the shortwave over Manitoba.  But it could be correct. The result is much less clean; energy broadened rather than consolidated. QPF expectations should be 1/4 - 1/2 of the EPS-eque evolution. This shortwave out of a data sparce region is definitely adding to uncertainty.

Am very curious to see EPS at 12z.

eps_z500_mslp_us_17.pnggfs-ens_z500_mslp_us_16.png

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Does latitude help?

It may in the sense that the overall profile is colder with latitude. 

But here is 700mb temps for 9z Tuesday which is within the window of the heavier rates. 

We certainly can get great snow growth with intense llvl lift and llvl cold but I'm not sure it's cold enough to offset this "warmth" and very high DGZ. 

I think we would really struggle to generate good dendrites. I could see very tiny flakes which even resemble sleet.

image.thumb.png.28963ffd851dfc18018542db6d45bcac.png

• Thanks 1