Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2023 General Discussion

Hoosier

On 3/18/2023 at 7:20 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Oh 100% March is deeper winter than December in the UP. Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year and Winter is my favorite season, so it's a no brainer that snow during the holidays is high on my list. However, I can't ever get used to the general public's fascination with snow at Christmas then wanting spring by new years. Obviously December is usually wintry, but there are a few things that could go wrong. It could be cold and suppressed and there has been times there's deeper snow in southern MI than up North. Or it could be a horrible warm start to Winter with shoddy conditions. But no matter what happens during the winter you can count on deep snow in late february and early march, usually the deepest of the entire winter. That's why my winter trips are always mid to late Feb.

… so let me get this straight. Wanting a white Xmas and an early end to winter is nonsensical while a fascination for March and April snows is perfectly logical.  

I hate to tell you this, but you’re the one on the side of crazy.
:drunk:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, buckeye said:

… so let me get this straight. Wanting a white Xmas and an early end to winter is nonsensical while a fascination for March and April snows is perfectly logical.  

I hate to tell you this, but you’re the one on the side of crazy.
:drunk:

That's not what I said. Wanting spring to start on Jan 1st, or for many Dec 26th, is nonsensical. There is a big difference between wanting an early end to winter, and wanting winter to end a few days after the winter solstice. Ill say it another way. Some of us love Winter and some of us don't. Neither makes you crazy. But wanting it to snow like clockwork on Dec 24-25 and no other day is not realistic.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

How much did you end up with? Just a dusting here. 37.1" on the season. 

About 5. The band that came through here between 11pm and 2 am did the deed. I took a quick trip to the store around 1 and it was puking snow, Roads etc were covered and crappy. 

• Like 2

Yeah, the overnight band saved us from a potential underperformer given the hype.  The general area finished with about 4" give or take a little.  Enough to put GRR at #3 all time.  6.8" more puts us at #2 overall.  It is interesting that we have had more snow in March than January and February combined.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Yeah, the overnight band saved us from a potential underperformer given the hype.  The general area finished with about 4" give or take a little.  Enough to put GRR at #3 all time.  6.8" more puts us at #2 overall.  It is interesting that we have had more snow in March than January and February combined.

Increasing chance #2 gets taken this weekend. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I guess I’m in the nonsensical camp because I’ll take wall to wall deep winter from 10/31-4/30 year in and year out.

That being said, 40 and sunny felt pretty freaking awesome today. Our final ski trip of the season is planned for Lutsen MN 4/22-23 then it can be spring.

Minneapolis is a good fit for you. Certainly not a heavy snow climo overall, but a good deep Winter one. You'll get some down seasons where the heavier snows are hitting south of you in Chicago/Detroit, but the trade off in those years is youll be arctic cold and white. Then you'll get years like this one. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I guess I’m in the nonsensical camp because I’ll take wall to wall deep winter from 10/31-4/30 year in and year out.

That being said, 40 and sunny felt pretty freaking awesome today. Our final ski trip of the season is planned for Lutsen MN 4/22-23 then it can be spring.

:thumbsup:

Today is the 111th consecutive day with 1”+ of snow cover at MSP, and the 120th day overall for the season. Looks like 1 or 2 more days may be added before the streak ends. 

*Edit to add 2022-23 1"+ snow cover stats for Duluth and International Falls, through March 20th:

DLH:  126 consecutive days, 126 total days for the season

INL:  130 consecutive days, 130 total days for the season

• Like 3

19 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

We'll add as much as we can for your trip, but no guarantees for April weather. Some surprises yet for us here in April is my feeling looking at my modelling method, although a 2013 type April would be a bit much to ask. (50" along the terrain). 

That being said, tonight will add some, especially up Lutsen way. :) 

March 21 snow.gif

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 1:40 PM, weatherbo said:

Many times especially during early and late season events It'll be snowing here, and in Big Bay and Marquette it's plain rain.

I do.  I live on a north facing hill.  My house sits at 1640' with the hill peaking behind my house around 1700'.  Just a few miles away elevation quickly falls to around 1100' so there's a quick 600' rise to my house and that's not including the fact that I'm roughly 1100' in elevation above Superior which is roughly 8 miles away.  Also I'm close to 200' above the MQT WFO down near Negaunee, which is a magnet all their own.

And as Beav mentioned, my area is pretty much upslope to some degree in every direction.  This place is a fog haven as well.

We stayed at a off the grid cabin a couple times the past few months near you, off the 510 just past the Yellow Dog Falls near Big Pup Falls. The snow wasn’t great back in January when we were there but still had close to 30”. Our whole group was back this past weekend again and said the snow was the best it’s been all season but unfortunately I couldn’t go because of plans I already had so I missed out on the good stuff. You’re area is by far my favorite area to snowmobile in Michigan, love visiting up there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Up_north_MI said:

We stayed at a off the grid cabin a couple times the past few months near you, off the 510 just past the Yellow Dog Falls near Big Pup Falls. The snow wasn’t great back in January when we were there but still had close to 30”. Our whole group was back this past weekend again and said the snow was the best it’s been all season but unfortunately I couldn’t go because of plans I already had so I missed out on the good stuff. You’re area is by far my favorite area to snowmobile in Michigan, love visiting up there!

Nice.  A little north of my area by just a few miles. I have a buddy that owns a hundred acres near the hair pin curve on 510 and that's where I hunt some years and have camped there as well... a beautiful, remote area to enjoy exploring during the summer.

This is actually a pic I posted in March of 2019 from my buddy's camp on the 100 acres. 

53459154_2418062274894324_5197327091527319552_n.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/20/2023 at 5:04 AM, Chambana said:

Multiple rounds of rain this week, would have to assume coupled with the 50’s we should see a nice green up. Grid is showing a shot at 2-3” any drought concerns can be put to sleep for the time being. 

Drought is definitely not going to be a concern for most, for a while that is.