• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2023 General Discussion

Hoosier

Today, looking like a good 6-8" for me, but the entire south shore of Lake Superior will see 1-2' with this one. The start will be rain/snow mix, then quickly turn to colder temps, and snow, leaving a little ice underneath. After getting 12-17" around TH area, another 6" would be a cherry on top. :)  Others would say just more pain in the ass, and lets get to Spring already. People are ready for winter to end. Personally, I partly agree, but really want to see the snow season record fall at Duluth, and TH 7NW.

• Like 1

Bottom of the barrel day - overcast, bitterly cold where it was still -7C at 11am with a windchill of -14! My overnight will have a chill of -18 with full snow cover, 11 years ago that same early morning had a severe thunderstorm with hail and double digit positive temps :wub: . My appreciation for it was abundant as we know days like today are possible.

This is far colder than mid-Feb here and colder than 80% of Jan. I dread winters just like this one when Spring is going to be the dumping ground for the real crap.

Chanhassen NWS is at 90.7” for the season. Unfortunately the records go off of the airport measurements and they’ve recorded significantly less than the NWS considering they’re only about 20 miles apart. Looks like the airport is sitting at 80.7”, which is still good enough for 7th snowiest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnchaserguy said:

Chanhassen NWS is at 90.7” for the season. Unfortunately the records go off of the airport measurements and they’ve recorded significantly less than the NWS considering they’re only about 20 miles apart. Looks like the airport is sitting at 80.7”, which is still good enough for 7th snowiest.

Crazy gradient this year. Similar thing here with 75.8 here but about 30/40 miles to my nw/wnw over the 100 mark at the nws office etc. The drop off to the south of here is as impressive if not a bit more towards the sw. 

• Like 1

Got 2.2" of snow yesterday, bringing the March total to 15.3" & season 36.7".

DTW finished with 2.0", bringing the March total to 15.7" and season 36.9" (a tie with me, but got there differently lol). This is the 2nd snowiest first 2 weeks of March on record, only 1900 was snowier. If no more snow falls this month it will be tied for the 7th snowiest March on record. Quite the turnaround from February. Only complaint about this active March is it's just not the time of year to build a snowpack. Sun angle and marginal temps means lots of melting between snow storms.

Few pictures from this morning. In the first pic you can see the snow glittering. The 2nd pic I thought was cool, massive dirty snowbanks covered in fresh snow looked like mountains.

FB_IMG_1678829875496.jpg

FB_IMG_1678829878359.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Duluth is going to make a run at their deepest snow depth on record. 48" is the record back in 1965, which this March has been following to a T so far.

March 65 here was about as snowy but the temps were even more brutal. Several days between the 19-21 the high was 20 and one it only hit 19 with lows in the single digits. 8 day stretch from the 19 the on it only went above freezing once. I'll pass on that. :shiver:

1 minute ago, Harry said:

March 65 here was about as snowy but the temps were even more brutal. Several days between the 19-21 the high was 20 and one it only hit 19 with lows in the single digits. 8 day stretch from the 19 the on it only went above freezing once. I'll pass on that. :shiver:

I mean it hasn't been quite as extreme but pretty close, especially north of here.

23 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Duluth is going to make a run at their deepest snow depth on record. 48" is the record back in 1965, which this March has been following to a T so far.

There seems to be a discrepancy between what's being reported.

Sunday evening when the latest storm was winding down, snow depth was 50"...but 12 hours later at 12z yesterday morning it was "only" 37.

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

There seems to be a discrepancy between what's being reported.

Sunday evening when the latest storm was winding down, snow depth was 50"...but 12 hours later at 12z yesterday morning it was "only" 37.

The highest I saw was 45" but ya that is weird for sure.

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not quite as cold but check the 18z gfs for this weekend almost to the day too.

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

With the rest of march and april to go, it's now a realistic goal to see if DTW can hit 40 inches. Definitely did not foresee that a month ago 

Did you get anything from the big Nov les event? Biggest difference between the looks of this weekend and that is the lake is a bit colder. 

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

40'+ amounts in NY with this past storm, while we'll be lucky if we surpass that all winter. It still amazes me how a low pressure can be so weak for this region and then boom once it reaches the ocean.

Wow some area's got 40'+!!  :lmao:  ... try 40"+ ;)

This area is just too far disconnected from the Oceans to get those type of totals outside LES belts.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Wow some area's got 40'+!!  :lmao:  ... try 40"+ ;)

This area is just too far disconnected from the Oceans to get those type of totals outside LES belts.

We need a Oklahoma hooker or a Cajun bayou bomb that shoots to the NE so it can pull all that juicy Gulf moisture 

27 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Looks like a beautiful day on tap here to do some chores outside, then head down to town and pick up a few things before the storm arrives.
Looking like a doozy with up to 30” by Saturday 8 am and still snowing.

285CFAE8-2067-42FC-B474-A9C409E5464A.png

Your snow pack pics are going to be very impressive