Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t think we can blame the pac. It’s far from ideal but there is a trough just south of the Aleutians much of the time and at times the trough gets east of Hawaii.  Combined with the block there isn’t much reason there for the trough to get caught in the NW and cut off. When the trough gets east of Hawaii instead of forcing it out it just gets absorbed!  

Honestly looking at the loop on the Gfs these last couple days it’s as if the subtropical eastern N Amer ridge is more cause than effect.  That evolution makes sense if the SER is acting like a mid lat block itself.  We don’t factor it that way because during winter that heat source has never been strong enough to bully the mid latitude jet but maybe that equation has changed?  If the SER is a cause not an effect it really changes things a lot!  

Im just speculating here. But the Pac western US wave spacing is absolutely absurd on some of these Gfs runs 

ETA; to clarify what I mean here, a great pac would obviously still obliterate a SER. But what if the SER is not ONLY an effect but equal parts a driver?   Would explain why there is almost no variance lately. We have had some brief periods this winter where the pac forcing was temporarily reversed or in transition and it made little difference to the SER. 

That sounds like a problem and tbh is pretty disturbing if that is really what is happening here.

I am no expert.  I just don’t see an appreciable difference at Day 6 between the 2 models.  When I compare the 12Z to the 18Z EPS it is a tick different with more trough in the west….is it noise or a trend? We will know at 0Z.

Or maybe will know in 3 days

8 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

idk if some of you guys are doing like some weird reverse psychology coping mechanism stuff saying that the GFS “won” or whatever, but it makes zero sense and it’s kind of annoying 

i get the cynicism, but come on

giphy.gif

• Haha 8

the “hot” and “cold” model stuff is just confirmation bias

it’s the equivalent of playing Call of Duty and saying “as soon as i stop looking around this corner and move somewhere else I die!” when in reality you don’t get shot most of the time. you only pick up on it when it does happen

it’s the same thing

• Like 2

We do have a good pattern in place and a strong signal for an event.  It's hard to get excited considering how many times we've been screwed in 2021 by events that started north of the MD line.   Seems like we end up on the southern fringe of KU storms a lot, and of course not pattern will ensure it doesn't happen  again.

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the “hot” and “cold” model stuff is just confirmation bias

it’s the equivalent of playing Call of Duty and saying “as soon as i stop looking around this corner and move somewhere else I die!” when in reality you don’t get shot most of the time. you only pick up on it when it does happen

it’s the same thing

I understand what you are saying, but certain model biases allows those models to go a run/streak if the patterns and similar biases set in for a period. We have seen countless times where even AFDs have mentioned such and such model verification scores have been high recently so more weight is being given to said model. Maybe my "hot hand" is sort of vague or broadbrushing or lacked the "verification scores" terminology, but there is substance behind what I said. Now have I looked at a verification chart in the past 4 weeks? I have not, so maybe I'm just bias to this Friday system where the GFS led the way. 

5 hours ago, Interstate said:

IDK. Jan of 16 was pretty awesome. That was the most intense snow I have ever seen. 

Yeah I've experienced PD2, Blizzard96, Jan16, and the 09-10 storms.  All amazing.  But the March 93 storm was an atmospheric marvel.  Ironically, if the storm was just slightly less amped, it probably would have taken a more easterly track and crushed the megalopolis areas with 30" totals too.  But that storm was on steroids.  There were radar echos in the Gulf that were way past dark red - they were violet and white.  I've never seen echoes that intense in such a large area.  The 30 year anniversary is coming up!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I understand what you are saying, but certain model biases allows those models to go a run/streak if the patterns and similar biases set in for a period. We have seen countless times where even AFDs have mentioned such and such model verification scores have been high recently so more weight is being given to said model. Maybe my "hot hand" is sort of vague or broadbrushing or lacked the "verification scores" terminology, but there is substance behind what I said. Now have I looked at a verification chart in the past 4 weeks? I have not, so maybe I'm just bias to this Friday system where the GFS led the way. 

speaking of, here is the current verification charts for GFS and euro
https://climatlas.com/temperature/ecmwf_gfs_nh_f120_recent.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

Lol we’re going right to a historic nino

Thankfully the Spring unpredictability barrier for enso is just starting, lol I'm telling you, if we get an overwhelming niño that torches all the way through, and then spawns two more ninas (like the last two did), SO HELP ME! That would be a nightmare scenario, tbh

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Thankfully the Spring unpredictability barrier for enso is just starting, lol I'm telling you, if we get an overwhelming niño that torches all the way through, and then spawns two more ninas (like the last two did), SO HELP ME! That would be a nightmare scenario, tbh

That would end me.  No snow until like 2026.  What if it’s a Nina 3-peat? After the super nino. 

If we get one cold blast/blocking with a Historic nino 50 inch storm a possibility haha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

If we get one cold blast/blocking with a Historic nino 50 inch storm a possibility haha

I looked back...since 1966 a big blast only happened ever other super niño (65-65, 82-83, 15-16). The others (72-73, 97-98)...nope! 72-73 was particularly brutal because we just had back-to-back ninas in the two years prior. Then the super niño torched and spawned two MORE ninas! No wonder the early to mid-70s looked the way they did, lol

• Like 1

I looked back...since 1966 a big blast only happened ever other super niño (65-65, 82-83, 15-16). The others (72-73, 97-98)...nope! 72-73 was particularly brutal because we just had back-to-back ninas in the two years prior. Then the super niño torched and spawned two MORE ninas! No wonder the early to mid-70s looked the way they did, lol
So of 5 super nino...3 gave us hecs?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

That’s random chaos in the numbers. Correlation is not causation. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

vort isn’t hanging back as much into the Pac NW as much this run. bigggg change here

78139B84-93B8-4F68-8D48-5EF88D9630C5.thumb.gif.dd9ee14591b6236fd2615b59067cc85f.gif

Yeah, looks like a big change to me too

another thing i noticed is gfs stopped trying to link SER with -nao. Now more separation with lower heights in between

• Like 4