Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late February will be rocking. February Long range Discussion thread

Ji

1 minute ago, Chris78 said:

There's alot of hits on the individual members. Some are for thr southern parts of the forum and some are for western areas. Overall I thought they looked pretty damn good.

Agreed. The depiction of the actual mean I think is probably close to the best outcome in this case. It would get good precip into the favored areas for frozen. The scenarios that keep the better precip more southeastward or have a weaker system overall would likely just produce rain/slop.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

LWX says guidance might swing today because s/w entering better sampled zones now. Won’t be surprised if we see something very different later today or tonight

But according to the experts here, data sampling and model changes because of that isn’t really a thing. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

The 0z EPS offers the most workable scenario for snow in our general region. The evolution and track would place significant precip in the higher terrain where it could actually snow given the lack of cold. Verbatim the mean is not bad for the NW burbs either, but again, those temps. This has always been a very low probability period for frozen in the lowlands.

1676246400-oL64E5dGlnA.png

1676224800-g1mjVeA3rXc.png

Not liking a majority of LP's in VA/NC. Potential is there for the final shift to be inland today/tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Sorry there was no shit pbp for the last two cycles.  I had uh...a lot of natural plants for that time period and I passed out around 8

But today, it's going to be rockin.  Strap in for the ride

I need some jaws music on the 12z runs please and thank you

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

This looks like a good panel on the 06z EPS. Haven't looked at the individual members yet so that I can live in a world for a little longer where this is great news. Fingers crossed.

snow mean took a solid step down - unfortunate. Pretty good for the western regions, though.

1676311200-HWcFKP5WT4g.png

Just now, Solution Man said:

Wondering where you were :scooter:, you got the mic

Yoda did well in my stead.  

Just now, yoda said:

I need some jaws music on the 12z runs please and thank you

I want to play it so bad, but unless I can foresee the thing clearly, I can't ever pull the trigger.  I had one false alarm already.  I have to realize that ones of people count on that thing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

The WB 6Z EPS ticked NW this run.  I think we are honing in on higher elevation event, but whether the NW burbs get any substantial snow is still unclear.

not trying to steal @psuhoffman's job here but the surface temps are just scorching and the 850s are only marginally better -- the control throws down this absolute banner of a deform band and it isn't enough to paste the cities, at least verbatim.

1676268000-nnhUNesWrHA.png

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

not trying to steal @psuhoffman's job here but the surface temps are just scorching and the 850s are only marginally better -- the control throws down this absolute banner of a deform band and it isn't enough to paste the cities, at least verbatim.

1676268000-nnhUNesWrHA.png

I fully recognize getting snow to the coast is going be very difficult in this setup, but with a 997 Low off the coast I do not buy the 0 degree line being all the way in Western PA and Finger lakes region of NY. It is still early February regardless of what kind of airmass we have here. 

26 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

the CIPS analogs are interesting, but many caveats apply of course - mainly that cold air thing.

Some very interesting storms in there, especially toward the top. Surprised 1/23/16 was a close match and that we didn't see January 2011 in there. 2/13/14 was in there, but I remember that having a very cold airmass ahead of it. The surprise January 2000 storm is in there. And then, I don't remember it somehow, but the 2006 storm is in there, and from what people have described about it, that seems like more of a match from an air mass standpoint.

• mappy unpinned this topic