• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

It's so cold there are quakes in Maine 

NWS Caribou Tweet

We are getting Reports of hearing/feeling "Quakes" across the area. These are Frostquakes also called Cryoseisms. Just like Earthquakes, generate tremors, thundering sensations. These are caused by sudden cracks in frozen soil or underground water when its very cold. #MEwx #Maine

• Like 4

Sebago Lake is quite the sight right now, freezing spray and slush waves everywhere. Car thermometer is at -4. Made me think of this ice out date chart for the Lake. The points on the x axis are dates when the big bay didn't freeze. The clusters in the last two decades will surprise no one, but interesting to note the cluster in the 40's and 50's, which others here have noted was not a good winter stretch. Take the data pre 1900 with a grain of salt as well. 

image001 (1).png

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

It almost certainly has to be too cold. Anything lower than -5 is extremely high end for the coastline.

I would also be shocked if the NBM missed by that much. I don't think the NBM is as great as it's advertised to be, but it seems to do a solid job with lows. I could see a -2 or -3 but -7 might be a stretch, especially since it also appears the core of the cold may not really get that far south. 

2 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Sebago Lake is quite the sight right now, freezing spray and slush waves everywhere. Car thermometer is at -4. Made me think of this ice out date chart for the Lake. The points on the x axis are dates when the big bay didn't freeze. The clusters in the last two decades will surprise no one, but interesting to note the cluster in the 40's and 50's, which others here have noted was not a good winter stretch. Take the data pre 1900 with a grain of salt as well. 

I've posted on the late 1940s/early 1950s winters in here before...those are some of the warmest years on record even if not quite as warm as the most recent warm winter...but esp up into SE NH and ME. Maine actually had 7 consecutive winters from '48-'49 through '54-'55 with temps +2 or higher than the long term avg....they haven't had a streak like that since....not even recently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

Having lived in New England most all my life...we do get these extreme cold spells we are having here now..Yes it is cold…brrrr.. but it's not like it is some novel event never experienced here before. Yet that is what the media act like.

I feel it is very similar to the Feb 2016 cold.  Similar length of time.  Windy.  Very cold.   

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

Having lived in New England most all my life...we do get these extreme cold spells we are having here now..Yes it is cold…brrrr.. but it's not like it is some novel event never experienced here before. Yet that is what the media act like.

This one is short-lived, but similar to Vday 2016, it is quite anomalous. 2016 produced the coldest readings at BOS and ORH since 1957. Not sure we quite match that this time, but can't rule it out. Wind chills will be top 3 in the past half century with this.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

This one is short-lived, but similar to Vday 2016, it is quite anomalous. 2016 produced the coldest readings at BOS and ORH since 1957. Not sure we quite match that this time, but can't rule it out. Wind chills will be top 3 in the past half century with this.

2016? Gosh I can't remember that, how long did that last?  Now 5/-12 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've posted on the late 1940s/early 1950s winters in here before...those are some of the warmest years on record even if not quite as warm as the most recent warm winter...but esp up into SE NH and ME. Maine actually had 7 consecutive winters from '48-'49 through '54-'55 with temps +2 or higher than the long term avg....they haven't had a streak like that since....not even recently.

There is just so much memory bias when it comes to big cold and big snow. The trends are all around us, we are getting warmer, but attributing seasonal anomalies to CC is disingenuous. I try to tell that to my very liberal friends and family and they look at me like I'm benedict arnold. There are not a whole lot of people around here who can remember that stretch in the 40s 50s clearly, but there are many who have vivid memories of cold periods in the 60s and 70s and that's what they compare every winter to. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TalcottWx said:

I have no idea what the record is but that would be absolutely insane compared to my experiences living there for three decades. 

Logan airport hasn't hit -10F since Jan 1957....Vday 2016 barely missed at -9F.

The Logan airport site has only ever hit -10F three times...-12F in Jan 1957, -14F in Feb 1943, and -11F in Dec 1942

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

image001 (1).png

That line seems way too slanted.  Ignoring the zero pips (since those years also have them in the group area) the line probably ought to start at about 115 and drop to the low-mid 90s.  A 3-week shift is significant, but that line shows about 7 weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NW_of_GYX said:

There is just so much memory bias when it comes to big cold and big snow. The trends are all around us, we are getting warmer, but attributing seasonal anomalies to CC is disingenuous. I try to tell that to my very liberal friends and family and they look at me like I'm benedict arnold. There are not a whole lot of people around here who can remember that stretch in the 40s 50s clearly, but there are many who have vivid memories of cold periods in the 60s and 70s and that's what they compare every winter to. 

I try to explain to people that CC warming will look a lot like a stock market chart....there is a trend up, but it's noisy. In a given month or even season, natural variability will outweigh CC by a lot. We can still get cold records....even all time monthly records....but they are just harder to get than warm records.

• Like 2