• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

mm I've been pretty vocal myself about not being thrilled at the prospects for over significant icing.

I don't mind it if it stops around 2/5ths accretion... that's about the threshold where it starts causing problems.  

There truly is an aesthetic value when the sun rises in the aftermath to set off the trillion prism effect.   It's mesmerizingly beautiful ...

Otherwise, if y'all want 2" of rhymed death to 20 tonnes of power line loading per standard length segments ...I'd far rather see that in photographs of a far away land, and extend my condolences.   F' that!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s the excitement of damage that some crave…thats all. Folks love damage, and ice creates damage…major damage if you get over half to 3/4 of an inch. 

You always have to be careful about you wish for when it comes to damaging storms...  Folks love to rant about damaging wind events and wish they were more intense and widespread across SNE... But there can be tragic human consequences like last week when we had an infant killed by a falling tree during last Friday's strong winds.  The older I get, with older children and grandchildren, the more I think about the other side of the exciting weather coin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FXWX said:

You always have to be careful about you wish for when it comes to damaging storms...  Folks love to rant about damaging wind events and wish they were more intense and widespread across SNE... But there can be tragic human consequences like last week when we had an infant killed by a falling tree during last Friday's strong winds.  The older I get, with older children and grandchildren, the more I think about the other side of the exciting weather coin.

Oh of course. I agree. Was just stating that’s what folks crave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Meh

index (13).png

Timing is poor wrt afternoon ISR max and the fropa in the morning.

The morning "lows" Friday will likely be pretty epic though. I could see a morning high imby in mid 50's, then temps level off rest of the day, in low 50's as things dry out.

+20-25 departures not of the meh variety; but that's me. 

And in terms of sensible weather - we take considering sun will be out and wind in check.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s the excitement of damage that some crave…thats all. Folks love damage, and ice creates damage…major damage if you get over half to 3/4 of an inch. 

I’m sure that’s the case for some, but for others like myself I’m not a conditional winter wx lover. Yes, ice isn’t the best, but it’s wx that’s unique to the season so I won’t turn my nose at a pelt fest if it happens. Same with cold with brown grass. 

I also find the fascinating that so many posters carry this inconsistent attitude of loathing some damaging and life threatening wx when we all know virtually every one of us here wouldn’t bat an eye at pulling for a 40” blizzard when the result would almost certainly be people being injured or worse as a direct or indirect result of such an event. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m sure that’s the case for some, but for others like myself I’m not a conditional winter wx lover. Yes, ice isn’t the best, but it’s wx that’s unique to the season so I won’t turn my nose at a pelt fest if it happens. Same with cold with brown grass. 

I also find the fascinating that so many posters carry this inconsistent attitude of loathing some damaging and life threatening wx when we all know virtually every one of us here wouldn’t bat an eye at pulling for a 40” blizzard when the result would almost certainly be people being injured or worse as a direct or indirect result of such an event. 

I've never understood the "morality' arguments in rooting or not rooting for certain types of weather. I think looking at it through a lens of only that storm can be too myopic. 

I can very easily root for a blizzard but hope people are not hurt or injured during it. I even proactively try and warn as many people as possible if it looks like dangerous weather is coming. In the end, yes, extreme weather does injure/kill people....but at the same time, we learn from extreme weather events both in terms of forecasting ability and preparation which actually saves lives in the future. So on that front, extreme weather events can be "good"....we're learning and saving lives in the future when the next blizzard or ice storm or hurricane hits. If we didn't learn from previous weather disasters, it's hard to estimate how many more people would have died in events like Katrina in 2005 or the blizzard in February 2013, or even the Buffalo blizzard this year....all those events injured and killed people to varying levels of magnitude, but they would have been way worse without the experience and learning from previous events.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Visually, it’s right up there with a paste event. This is from a few years ago I believe:

hZ5c1oN.jpg

WGVMwlc.jpg

A chatgpt poem.

Ice Storm Limerick

Write a limerick about an ice storm

There once was an ice storm so grand, It coated the city with a slick stand. Cars couldn't pass on the street, As they slid with two left feet. But the view was quite fair to the eye, like a strand.

Write a poem about a blizzard

A blizzard rages, a snowy gale, Whipping snowflakes that never fail. To blanket the earth in a pure white, A sight so tranquil, a peaceful sight.

The wind howls and moans through the night, As the storm continues its endless flight. It creeps through the streets and the countryside, Bringing a silence that cannot be denied.

Yet, within the stillness of the storm, Lies a beauty that cannot be outworn. As the flakes swirl and dance in the air, It's a winter wonderland beyond compare.

So, huddle close and stay warm inside, And listen to the lullaby of the blizzard's tide. For though it may be wild and so strong, It brings with it a beauty that lasts all winter long.

Write a poem about an ice storm

An ice storm creeps in, silent and slow, A sheet of glass covers the earth below. Branches bow and bend, a sight to see, As the weight of the ice bends them with glee.

The streets are slick, the cars slip and slide, A symphony of crunching and creaking inside. The power flickers, a sign of the might, Of the storm that continues all through the night.

But in the morning, the sun peeks through, And the world is transformed, a sight brand new. The ice sparkles, a diamond in the sun, And the world is hushed, a peaceful lull begun.

So embrace the storm, though it may be rough, And marvel at the beauty, for it's enough. For the ice storm brings a quiet serenade, And a temporary world, shimmering and made.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don't like high high wind events, excessive cement snow storms , ice storms that bring down trees on my house. That is all. Bring on the rest.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

A chatgpt poem.

Ice Storm Limerick

Write a limerick about an ice storm

There once was an ice storm so grand, It coated the city with a slick stand. Cars couldn't pass on the street, As they slid with two left feet. But the view was quite fair to the eye, like a strand.

Write a poem about a blizzard

A blizzard rages, a snowy gale, Whipping snowflakes that never fail. To blanket the earth in a pure white, A sight so tranquil, a peaceful sight.

The wind howls and moans through the night, As the storm continues its endless flight. It creeps through the streets and the countryside, Bringing a silence that cannot be denied.

Yet, within the stillness of the storm, Lies a beauty that cannot be outworn. As the flakes swirl and dance in the air, It's a winter wonderland beyond compare.

So, huddle close and stay warm inside, And listen to the lullaby of the blizzard's tide. For though it may be wild and so strong, It brings with it a beauty that lasts all winter long.

Write a poem about an ice storm

An ice storm creeps in, silent and slow, A sheet of glass covers the earth below. Branches bow and bend, a sight to see, As the weight of the ice bends them with glee.

The streets are slick, the cars slip and slide, A symphony of crunching and creaking inside. The power flickers, a sign of the might, Of the storm that continues all through the night.

But in the morning, the sun peeks through, And the world is transformed, a sight brand new. The ice sparkles, a diamond in the sun, And the world is hushed, a peaceful lull begun.

So embrace the storm, though it may be rough, And marvel at the beauty, for it's enough. For the ice storm brings a quiet serenade, And a temporary world, shimmering and made.

That’s…pretty good. Imagine what AI will be doing 20-30 years from now.

I fully expect terminator references :lol: 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nobody wants anybody to get hurt, but I'll always be a fan of anomalous weather. I won't hide that. Will brings up a good point. High impact events are learning events too. 

Honestly, I'm a fan of anything that isn't boring. Extreme cold, big heat, snowfall, thunderstorms... Kill me when it's 50f and mostly sunny

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've never understood the "morality' arguments in rooting or not rooting for certain types of weather. I think looking at it through a lens of only that storm can be too myopic. 

I can very easily root for a blizzard but hope people are not hurt or injured during it. I even proactively try and warn as many people as possible if it looks like dangerous weather is coming. In the end, yes, extreme weather does injure/kill people....but at the same time, we learn from extreme weather events both in terms of forecasting ability and preparation which actually saves lives in the future. So on that front, extreme weather events can be "good"....we're learning and saving lives in the future when the next blizzard or ice storm or hurricane hits. If we didn't learn from previous weather disasters, it's hard to estimate how many more people would have died in events like Katrina in 2005 or the blizzard in February 2013, or even the Buffalo blizzard this year....all those events injured and killed people to varying levels of magnitude, but they would have been way worse without the experience and learning from previous events.

I hear ya Will... I fully understand the scientific / meteorological rush and excitement of following the development of a powerful, and yes dangerous, storm event.  And there is no doubt that our desire to study the mechanics of their development has lead tremendous advancement in our ability to predict them.  And most importantly, has saved and will continue to save, thousands of lives.  I also know no one on here is truly rooting for death and destruction.  In my old age, I find myself still excited about the prospect of forecasting a major / life-threatening event, but at the same time more worried about everyone's well-being than I used to be.  I'm going to date myself here, but the first dead body I ever saw was that of a women stuck under debris in the Farmington River in Unionville, CT during the 1955 flood!  I never shook that image.  That event, as tragic as it was, lead to tremendous advancement in river flow control and flood mitigation across the Farmington river watershed.  So, a lot of bad occurred, but significant good followed.  

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, FXWX said:

I hear ya Will... I fully understand the scientific / meteorological rush and excitement of following the development of a powerful, and yes dangerous, storm event.  And there is no doubt that our desire to study the mechanics of their development has lead tremendous advancement in our ability to predict them.  And most importantly, has saved and will continue to save, thousands of lives.  I also know no one on here is truly rooting for death and destruction.  In my old age, I find myself still excited about the prospect of forecasting a major / life-threatening event, but at the same time more worried about everyone's well-being than I used to be.  I'm going to date myself here, but the first dead body I ever saw was that of a women stuck under debris in the Farmington River in Unionville, CT during the 1955 flood!  I never shook that image.  That event, as tragic as it was, lead to tremendous advancement in river flow control and flood mitigation across the Farmington river watershed.  So, a lot of bad occurred, but significant good followed.  

The 1955 floods changed the way they had flood controls and drainage in ORH. There was something like 10 feet of water in downtown ORH during that. We will never see it again due to the changes they made. So yeah…tragic event did produce safety measures that undoubtedly has saved a lot of lives.