Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, snowman19 said:

Cold bias as in the GFS is too far south. It will end up correcting north just like it did for the middle of this upcoming week. It had snow in DC and Baltimore in earlier runs. It has done this I don’t know how many times already this winter

For how far out? I don’t really be care what op runs do beyond a week out. 

• Like 2

Seems there's a chance we get back to the meh results of the last four seasons, which would be fine as we're about 25% of normal. Always just south and east of the gradient this winter. I think my prediction of 50" is probably not going to play out. I do like later next week for winter to show itself again even if not snowing all the time.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think la nina shifting more west may have played a role..it was east based all fall, then there was an abrupt shift in December...may have helped set up the January blood bath. I didn't expect that.

Yeah It’s a straight up modoki Nina now, not what we want to see. What would be really nice is if we went into a multi year nino cycle, with 2-3 consecutive ninos of weak to moderate strength (maybe a moderate one next year and then 2 weak ones after). If that pans out it could lead to a good stretch of winters. 

The winter as a whole is likely beyond saving in SNE at this point but that doesn’t mean we can’t get a big storm in March. Hell, wasn’t 1996-1997 a ratter outside that big April blizzard? Even bad winters often have at least one big (12+) storm. Regardless, have to give credit where it’s due. Boston is at 8 inches of snow for the entire season and it’s mid Feb, and the seasonal average is in the mid 40s. The Pope was dead on with his winter forecast. I will certainly be keeping an eye on the geese next fall to clue me in on what to expect next winter. My winter forecast was a huge bust (again), but we live and learn.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2