Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd Storm Threat: keeping positive vibes, ending chances of futility

TalcottWx

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This event really seems to have the hallmarks of a lateral quasi-stationary (think parallel) band transitioning to a pivot. The orientation of that departing equatorward jet streak was definitely more SW/NE than WNW/ESE, which tends to promote that parallel band riding along storm track. That's what I think it pumping our highest totals up over a foot, pushing 18", vs a more uniform 6-10" followed by the pivot.

"The ribbon" that most hi-res models were showing?  

20 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This event really seems to have the hallmarks of a lateral quasi-stationary (think parallel) band transitioning to a pivot. The orientation of that departing equatorward jet streak was definitely more SW/NE than WNW/ESE, which tends to promote that parallel band riding along storm track. That's what I think it pumping our highest totals up over a foot, pushing 18", vs a more uniform 6-10" followed by the pivot.

I watched this during the night and all day, and that is what I observed.  The WAA push was good and it was sw-ne.  then this morning it was more s-n and then later in the morning and midday there was a bit of push back to the nw, and the band has rotted and reformed for a few hours.  I don't ever recall being in the pivot but I was today 

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

And I'm trying to tease out why we're going to miss low on the forecast, especially with totals in a relatively narrow band that are pushing some real deal snowstorm numbers. This time yesterday was just moving from a 6-8" event to 8-12" for portions of the area, and some are going to end up 15-18". 

We'll take the over achiever storms. :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Snow growth isn't pristine like it was in that first monster band, but vis is down again and it "Feels" like a snowstorm in this stuff.

Jan23_450pmRadar.gif

Agree

I posted about that earlier... looks like best lift is now below DGZ vs. better crosshair earlier

And correlated with KBOS ticking up to 33.8 (an effect, not a cause)... and streets clearing up quickly

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They obviously correctly picked up on the right forcing mechanism. I kind of shook off the HRRR forecasts over double digits for me, but it kept nagging me how consistent the mesos were.

You on a shift for Wed?  I was pessimistic but it looks like its happening.  Thats a lot of snow for us in 6 days.  7 + 15 +8-12?

8 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Agree

I posted about that earlier... looks like best lift is now below DGZ vs. better crosshair earlier

And correlated with KBOS ticking up to 33.8 (an effect, not a cause)... and streets clearing up quickly

Funny I posted that and literally liken5 min later we are pounding perfect dendrites again. Awesome snow growth…must be a deeper area of lift punching the DGZ in this band here. 

294C2A47-D41A-409D-A6F7-5E82432B4E58.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Funny I posted that and literally liken5 min later we are pounding perfect dendrites again. Awesome snow growth…must be a deeper area of lift punching the DGZ in this band here. 

294C2A47-D41A-409D-A6F7-5E82432B4E58.gif

Nice! Hoping that propagates downstream, visibilities currently > 1 mile closer to Boston

The crappy BL temps are more apparent when snowgrowth and rates are poor

Metro area might pull off another 0.5-1" as this last band rotates in

10.2" storm total here on 1.21" liquid. Nice little storm. Very dense snow with a definite bluish hue. There's a slight crust about 5" down so I had a very brief flip to freezing rain/drizzle overnight.

Amazingly no power losses other than a few flickers so far although the wind has begun to ramp up so there may be some going forward. Total depth at 17". 

63C236BD-51F5-48CA-B3F8-2A3151F549D5.jpeg

F185D88E-BF01-4176-BC26-E5C2E3D91A80.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean, yes, but I was also on my couch.

Hi res and mesos kept painting that narrow weenie stripe over the same areas and they did a good job as it came to fruition, I thought 6-10" was safe bet, I'm about ready to call in my update to the WFO for 6:00pm