Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah, there’s legit arctic flow here. would get everyone cold quickly. this is a great pattern verbatim

8B8F86C0-4BDB-4CA7-85FE-BD699F0D0F47.thumb.png.9a50f87029412ad4ff5071435f4ed681.png

It’s a cold look for sure and finally the 2m temp plots start to reflect that. Reminds me of 13-14 with a -AO/-EPO/+PNA/and a WAR. 

The western ridge starts to pop around hr240-264, so getting pretty close to a time range with good ensemble skill. No sign of a can kick.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It’s a cold look for sure and finally the 2m temp plots start to reflect that. Reminds me of 13-14 with a -AO/-EPO/+PNA/and a WAR. 

The western ridge starts to pop around hr240-264, so getting pretty close to a time range with good ensemble skill. No sign of a can kick.

Agreed. This one doesn't look like a head fake. Funny thing is the ens lost it for a few days in unison. Then brought it back essentially the same time period. Funny how that works.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Agreed. This one doesn't look like a head fake. Funny thing is the ens lost it for a few days in unison. Then brought it back essentially the same time period. Funny how that works.

any though about how long this could last? A few days? A week...gonna lock in?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I know we clown on JB, but he said he thinks this is a classic January thaw and it flips to cold and rolls right into the spring. Grain of salt obviously with that guy.

JB’s brain is completely addled. But if we flip to a cold pattern around the 20-25th and maintain a cooler than normal pattern through much of February on balance, that will be a more Nino-like cycle. I think this winter has behaved more Nino-like than Niña-like so far for whatever reason. California waves hello…Nino’s have colder February’s and Nina’s have warm Februarys. So what will this year bring?

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

So what will this year bring?

More heartache I suppose? In all seriousness with the base state the way it is I am not so sure Nino's will be a good thing for us anymore either. Especially if we dont have any blocking to get the polar jet bent down into the conus. But for sure Nina's have sucked. So who knows at this point. 

10 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

More heartache I suppose? In all seriousness with the base state the way it is I am not so sure Nino's will be a good thing for us anymore either. Especially if we dont have any blocking to get the polar jet bent down into the conus. But for sure Nina's have sucked. So who knows at this point. 

Snow is always an IMBY game of course, but I’ve been satisfied personally the last 2 Niña years (20-21 and 21-22) and our last Nino year (18-19). The disaster year (19-20) was ENSO neutral. 

No can kick either on todays 12z EPS. Good agreement with GEFS on longwave pattern and timing. Ridge out west goes up on the 20th-21st. So now we wait and see how real it is and how quickly we can cool down and have a storm chance.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman…with a PNA/EPO ridge  unconnected to the ridging over the Atlantic side across Canada and a piece of the PV in between, central Canada cools down in only 48 hours after the ridge goes up. 

It’s a legit fantastic look. But we’ve seen this headfake before. Not saying things won’t improve but recently it doesnt last long before another pacific onslaught. I’ll be more optimistic if this holds inside day 10 and we still can’t see the end. 

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

Good thing is that the upslope looks to crank after our cutter this weekend!

DancingBannana.gif

Taking the kids to snowshoe this weekend. If things still look good even we get back I’ll jump all in. 

It’s not talked about enough that the blocking up top contributed to that season. The pac was great but to overcome the WAR it helped that we also had a -AO much of the time. If you have a perfect epo pna and some high lat ridging then some war can even help. Different equations. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s a legit fantastic look. But we’ve seen this headfake before. Not saying things won’t improve but recently it doesnt last long before another pacific onslaught. I’ll be more optimistic if this holds inside day 10 and we still can’t see the end. 

reminds me of 90% of our snowstorms. Before the first flake falls...we can already see the backedge rolling through

• Haha 5

JB’s brain is completely addled. But if we flip to a cold pattern around the 20-25th and maintain a cooler than normal pattern through much of February on balance, that will be a more Nino-like cycle. I think this winter has behaved more Nino-like than Niña-like so far for whatever reason. California waves hello…Nino’s have colder February’s and Nina’s have warm Februarys. So what will this year bring?

Not sure if it was posted as I have been a tad busy, but this is yesterday's Euro weeklies into early Feb. Looks good well into the month fwiw.

1675555200-hfxUwhIzcnw.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Not sure if it was posted as I have been a tad busy, but this is yesterday's Euro weeklies into early Feb. Looks good well into the month fwiw.

1675555200-hfxUwhIzcnw.png

Would you be worried about the WAR ruining our temps and pushing the baroclinic zone too far inland with the trough in that position?

Seems like an issue we've had a few times this year.

3 minutes ago, TSG said:

Would you be worried about the WAR ruining our temps and pushing the baroclinic zone too far inland with the trough in that position?

Seems like an issue we've had a few times this year.

We had a decaying east coast ridge with flat ridging located not far off the coast when the early Jan 22 storm hit. Not much of an issue if we have some legit cold pressing in from the NW. That would tend to keep the thermal boundary suppressed further SE. Difficult to glean such details off of an h5 mean from an extended product.

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic