SnowHabit
Pre-Christmas (Dec 21-23rd) Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

4 pm APX

W/NW low level winds continue to strengthen across our entire CWA
this afternoon as our wind-driven heavy lake-enhanced snow/blizzard
event unfolds. Updated snow reports suggest 12 to 18 inches have
fallen across our typical snowbelt areas...with locally higher
amounts up to 24 inches per recent spotter reports.

Looks like my former place in NWMI did ok with last night's synoptic (always perfect for mby when an SLP was over Detroit-ha). Morning reports were showing a solid 5-8 inches. Presuming LES continues there it has to be pretty nasty. 

Only about 4” or so of snow here, but many sites in northern Ohio and northwestern PA, including both Cleveland airports and Erie, met official blizzard criteria today. Here’s CLE 5 minute obs:

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=KCLE

Note the <0.25 mile stuff, solid blizzard conditions from 8am-3pm and briefly 6-7am. 

Port Clinton OH is even more impressive, look at those gusts over 60 with temperatures below 0!

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=KPCW

Areas east of I-75 over towards Lorain OH are more open and had extensive issues with blowing snow, including a fatal pileup on the turnpike. 

• Like 1

I had a friend who asked if I could drive her into town today.  I obliged.  The wind and temperature were wicked.  We saw a lot of mini drifting and some whiteout conditions.  I explained everyone dodged a huge bullet low snow totals.  Of course she sensed my disappointment with this storm but was thankful it didn't materialized.  

• Like 1

Recent snow spotter reports have been 8" to 25" for N MI. Surprisingly it is warmer and less windy than the lower Great Lakes while this is happening, but still cold and windy.

also note: news story today from NW Ohio

Three people dead, 46 vehicles involved in crash on Ohio Turnpike across Sandusky, Erie counties; crews on scene

Recovery efforts are underway after a fatal crash involving dozens of vehicles closed a portion of the Ohio Turnpike in both directions Friday afternoon.

2022_12_24_0231z_KAPX_heavy_snow.png

My place in the Toledo area got about 1" with some drifts. The drifts aren't really impressive. In the city, the visibility is fine, as the ground blizzard must be worse in more rural or open road setting. I can sort of feel the 50mph gusts against the house. Toledo Express Airport had ground blizzard conditions, as the reports said heavy snow but it certainly hasn't been heavy falling snow. Wind chill is negative a lot if you consider 46mph-47mph wind gusts at this time, but the actual calculation is based off the steady wind speed, so the wind chill was -29 early today. So it's a unique situation with disappointing snow amounts. And rain kind of froze onto stuff.

About 10 years ago, I drove through a ground blizzard in Nebraska when the snow wasn't sticking to the road, so I had good traction. I wouldn't have tried it if I didn't have good traction.

3 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Just think. If this had been a real storm, we'd be on like Part 4 of the thread, lol

Per friend in Livonia it seems like you guys got a little less snow than here. But conditions were just brutal all day. Havent seen constant blowing/drifting like this in years. It definitely made for a "North Dakota" like day as was joked about earlier. Going with storm total of 0.57" precip on 2.4" snow here. Some very impressive drifts while driving around,  Some of the roads that have been plowed have big snow banks that would make it look like a big snowstorm, but then you see the fields that are scoured of snow.  Winds gusted between 45 and 50 miles per hour all day, temperature hovered right around 0 and wind chills hovered around 30 below. Again, give me a run of the mill 6 to 10" snowstorm any day over this, but it was definitely a fun and unique weather day.

Snow blowed some of the drifting out of my driveway and ended up with icy facial hair.

FB_IMG_1671851956455.jpg

• Thanks 1

For only 1-2" of snow otg this was a damn impressive blowing snow event.  Can't imagine what it would have been like if the earlier model runs would have been correct.  Definitely would have been shut down for at least a few days.

Hit 50mph here earlier today, and DVN hit 53mph. 

High today so far is actually the current temp, which is -1.

• Like 1

I waited for this thing to start cranking and it did slowly ramp up throughout most of the day til 8 pm but overall this was a big bust and I'm not impressed lol. At no point did I witness any blizzard conditions as forecast for my town and my winds never made it high enough. This is NOTHING like Jan 6 2014, it barely stands out but I would consider it a solid winter storm; I was expecting the basement to be a major winter storm and I don't know if I can even call this that by Christmas Day. The main issues are the same as written above, flake size far too small due to strong winds and lack of moisture. My temp got down to -11.6C and then stabilized with a wind chill of -22C. I doubt I got 40cm (for Fri) as thought - probably 20cm with drifts. The LES mode was totally different from what I expected and never got in the mod returns like the shoreline did and there isn't any bands near me like Parry Sound and Buffalo has. I don't know why my winds were crap other than the orientation but still with the strength of this low it shouldn't have been this zzzz. By 10:30pm the flizzard started winding down when earlier I expected raging blizzard status and a double dip for Eve which my hourlies still show bizz for 8+ hours later on :lol:.

5 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

ended up being the best snowstorm I've ever experienced. Not often I see actual blizzard conditions. 

Amazing that Hamilton got blizz but not me, that's a twist. There is some magic going on near Lake Erie and Ontario for sure in this storm.

3 hours ago, Chinook said:

Recent snow spotter reports have been 8" to 25" for N MI. Surprisingly it is warmer and less windy than the lower Great Lakes while this is happening, but still cold and windy.

I did notice areas way south were much colder than me like London and Windsor ON got windchills of -28 to -32 whereas I'm getting -22. Same with air temps.

• Like 1

From my gas company in Kenosha about 2 hours ago. It appears gas is no longer making it to my place. Might be a cold night.

We Energies is urging customers to reduce their natural gas use by immediately lowering their thermostats to 60 to 62 degrees. The move will allow customers to stay safe, warm and help avoid a significant natural gas outage.

This request comes after one of the interstate pipeline suppliers who provides natural gas to We Energies experienced a significant equipment failure that is limiting the amount of fuel they are sending We Energies.

The impacted pipeline is one of multiple sources We Energies uses to receive natural gas. On a typical day, an issue like this would not require customers to reduce their usage. However, with extreme cold setting in over much of the United States, We Energies is unable to receive additional natural gas from its other pipeline suppliers.

We Energies has already taken numerous steps to reduce demand for natural gas, including drawing from its liquefied natural gas and propane storage facilities, and reducing natural gas to business customers who have agreed to special billing in these types of events.

We Energies strongly urges customers to reduce their natural gas use by lowering their thermostats and avoid using other natural gas appliances like fireplaces, dryers or ovens.

The company is working to maintain service to emergency and critical facilities.

Customers should take the following actions to help reduce natural gas demand:

• Set thermostats between 60 to 62 degrees. Add layers or blankets to keep warm when lowering a thermostat’s temperature.
  • Close blinds or drapes at night and avoid opening doors to retain heat. Open blinds during the day to let in heat from the sun.
  • Avoid using secondary natural gas heating sources, such as natural gas fireplaces.
  • Use natural gas ranges sparingly. Prepare food with slow cookers or microwaves.

We expect this shortage will last throughout the rest of the day — we will reassess tomorrow.

We truly appreciate and thank our customers for your understanding and patience as we work to manage these challenging conditions and keep all of our customers safe and warm.

We will be working tirelessly to resume normal operations as soon as possible.”

• Sad 2

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10160242926902559&id=83040292558

This is what it's been like going on 18 hours around this part of michigans thumb. I would guess 4 inches of snow but with the wind it's been very difficult to impossible to travel outside of towns. Sheriff's department early this afternoon stressed no travel unless an absolute emergency and wreckers and road crews were being pulled at dark. So despite that relative low snowfall totals it definitely will be one to remember locally for a while.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

For only 1-2" of snow otg this was a damn impressive blowing snow event.  Can't imagine what it would have been like if the earlier model runs would have been correct.  Definitely would have been shut down for at least a few days.

Hit 50mph here earlier today, and DVN hit 53mph. 

High today so far is actually the current temp, which is -1.

I agree. The constant drifting is just insane. While it's impossible to be precise due to the flash freeze and temperature drop, I'm thinking the ratios were less than 10 to 1 on the snow here. I got a total of 0.57" liquid  snowfall of 2.4", but the rainfall portion was approximately 0.25-.30". Were going on 30 hours now where "blowing snow" has been a part of nearly every observation. 

Official totals were 2.2" at Detroit and 4.5" at Flint.

• Like 1

Road out to here is totally impassable.  Have received 25" or there about with some insane drifts on the roof and driveway.  Another 6-8" probably before things taper off. Power is out but geni keeping the freezers running and also the furnace just enough to supplement the wood stove.

Kitchen will be serving Mac-n-cheese and spam for Christmas Eve dinner. :P 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

I waited for this thing to start cranking and it did slowly ramp up throughout most of the day til 8 pm but overall this was a big bust and I'm not impressed lol. At no point did I witness any blizzard conditions as forecast for my town and my winds never made it high enough. This is NOTHING like Jan 6 2014, it barely stands out but I would consider it a solid winter storm; I was expecting the basement to be a major winter storm and I don't know if I can even call this that by Christmas Day. The main issues are the same as written above, flake size far too small due to strong winds and lack of moisture. My temp got down to -11.6C and then stabilized with a wind chill of -22C. I doubt I got 40cm (for Fri) as thought - probably 20cm with drifts. The LES mode was totally different from what I expected and never got in the mod returns like the shoreline did and there isn't any bands near me like Parry Sound and Buffalo has. I don't know why my winds were crap other than the orientation but still with the strength of this low it shouldn't have been this zzzz. By 10:30pm the flizzard started winding down when earlier I expected raging blizzard status and a double dip for Eve which my hourlies still show bizz for 8+ hours later on :lol:.

Amazing that Hamilton got blizz but not me, that's a twist. There is some magic going on near Lake Erie and Ontario for sure in this storm.

I did notice areas way south were much colder than me like London and Windsor ON got windchills of -28 to -32 whereas I'm getting -22. Same with air temps.

ya the storm was a weird one and was more local and persons history of storms. Ive only lived in inner GTA until 5 years ago and now live in rural Ontario so for me this was my first actual blizzard. 

I also think media and general population is quick to put emotions into weather. Muskoka laughs at GTA winter storms saying Toronto is weak and in summer its Toronto laughing at Muskoka and Northern Ontario complain about average heat waves. 40-45C happens every summer in Toronto with nights staying above 21C but in Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timmins its all anyone would talk about (I work all over Ontario) 

Ontario almost has the exact same dynamic as northern states vs southern states in regards to winter and summer weather haha 

• Like 2

This morning winds are still up with more gusts albeit not that crazy with larger flake size, still no distinct bands. I was warming up slowly overnight. Aside from the longevity of the moderate-high winds, a distinct trait with this storm is how even with the high winds everything is plastered with snow like trees and power lines that somehow don't get carried away. Jan 6 2014 had this but there might be even more plastered than that one.

Niagara Falls southern half is getting the death LES band that BUF has, rare. 

• Thanks 1

Currently in prince Edward county west of Kingston ON just north of lake Ontario.  Blizzard conditions most of the time. Son in law rescued local farmer lost in a nearby field. He was totally lost and disoriented.   The local road in front of daughter's house is impassable with 5 ft. drifts. Top wind gust locally to 128kph. Here - this is definitely a blizzard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/23/2022 at 9:13 AM, IWXwx said:

Good luck. I always am concerned about you guys and gals working in these conditions. Today is probably right up there with the worst ones.

I thank you for the sentiment.

To recap yesterday and today. The worst conditions I’ve ever worked in. My route this weekend is on the western side of town. The blowing and drifting yesterday was epic. Less than a block visibility at times for me. The cold was intense. I wore 2 pairs of gloves, and still had a touch of frost bite on the tips of my fingers. I’ll be alright. Today, it’s still very gusty, but there’s not much snow blowing around. Not sure there’s much left, lol. Regardless, many spots with 1-3 four drifts. It’s tricky getting around. All of this with 2.5” of snow. I can only imagine what a foot would’ve been like…

• Like 3

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Road out to here is totally impassable.  Have received 25" or there about with some insane drifts on the roof and driveway.  Another 6-8" probably before things taper off. Power is out but geni keeping the freezers running and also the furnace just enough to supplement the wood stove.

Kitchen will be serving Mac-n-cheese and spam for Christmas Eve dinner. :P 

Sounds awesome! Luckily you can keep the food cold outside if it came to that, unlike severe thunderstorms in the summer.

Had to go out today on a last-minute errand. Found a 14" drift between me and my car. Yeah, here in Detroit burbs OMG. Going to up my grade for this storm for that reason alone, beside snow falling on Christmas Eve and occasional ground blizzard conditions as I drove to West Bloomfield and back. Drifts in the burbs is p'cool too and this could've been a much bigger deal for this place had there been even 5" of snowfall to work with. 

1982353516_22-12-24Snowscene.thumb.jpg.8314a856a584ad0cf1695cc7ad7d6485.jpg

3 hours ago, London snowsquall said:

Currently in prince Edward county west of Kingston ON just north of lake Ontario.  Blizzard conditions most of the time. Son in law rescued local farmer lost in a nearby field. He was totally lost and disoriented.   The local road in front of daughter's house is impassable with 5 ft. drifts. Top wind gust locally to 128kph. Here - this is definitely a blizzard. 

I’m just on the other side of the border, in Chaumont, NY. I can attest to the blizzard!  Not too much snow here, guessing about 8” since yesterday, but visibility has been between 0 and 1/4 mile for going on 30 hours with frequent gusts well over 50mph. Looks like you had the brunt of the snow over there today as winds have been more S/SW.