Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 22-23, 2022: Warm Rain to Arctic Chill

WxUSAF

4 minutes ago, IronTy said:

As warm as possible?   With this wind and cold I'm not sure it'll get above freezing.  Snow in the tent hasn't started melting at all so I assume it's below freezing.  

Can I ask a very honest question, why are you subjecting yourself to this at Christmas when you have a beautiful house out in Deep Creek where it’s warm? 

35 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Another overhyped arctic front by the msm and the prez. Unless in the upper Midwest or down wind of the great lakes this is a nothingburger. We get 2 of these a season. Very cold? Sure...but thats also relative. I get it....travel day and all that. I'm just looking at obs and reports and I'm far from impressed. Just being honest. Avocados underperformed

Ralph,   I hope you lose power for a week.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Another overhyped arctic front by the msm and the prez. Unless in the upper Midwest or down wind of the great lakes this is a nothingburger. We get 2 of these a season. Very cold? Sure...but thats also relative. I get it....travel day and all that. I'm just looking at obs and reports and I'm far from impressed. Just being honest. Avocados underperformed

Agree on the nothingburger!  Especially the wind.  The inflatables are laughing at these gusts.  The biggest news IS the cold.  Especially to those unprepared that lose power.  The news sure does like to sensationalize these events.  If they were as bad and widespread as touted, there would be no need to chase storms. ;)

Just now, Stormfly said:

Agree on the nothingburger!  Especially the wind.  The inflatables are laughing at these gusts.  The biggest news IS the cold.  Especially to those unprepared that lose power.  The news sure does like to sensationalize these events.  If they were as bad and widespread as touted, there would be no need to chase storms. ;)

Maybe it's because you are east of me, but I put my inflatables down and they are still blowing all around in the wind. We've got limbs flying off of trees and our wreath just about flew off our door before I took it down and brought it inside. I'm not saying it's a hurricane outside but it's gotten pretty windy here.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

Maybe it's because you are east of me, but I put my inflatables down and they are still blowing all around in the wind. We've got limbs flying off of trees and our wreath just about flew off our door before I took it down and brought it inside. I'm not saying it's a hurricane outside but it's gotten pretty windy here.

We have lots of trees which keep the winds near the ground quite a bit lower.  Years ago this place was like being on a mountaintop.  Spring thunderstorms with 30-40 mph gusts would roar through, all the doors in the house would slam and it sounded like firecrackers going off.  Didn't even need thunder and the dogs were running for cover.  Now we just hear roaring and if it gets bad (>50) cracking.  Because the blue spruces are getting kind of tall, especially the 100 footers.  Deck is littered with needles that are sharp as a tack and now sticking like the planks have wet paint on them.

Wind is one of my favorite things but with the cold that's coming, not so much!  I do have proper PPE but it's like that scene out of A Christmas Story with Ralph's brother except I can, in fact, put my arms down.  But keeping a 10mm socket in my hand is damn near impossible! :D

• Like 1

Couldn’t disagree more considering it’s an airmass that’s coming in before Christmas. Not in late January. It’s unimpressive in terms of the airmass sticking around, but the temp drop and winds are legit. DCA could set a Christmas low record. That’s noteworthy in its own right.

The fact that it’s 22 here and 45 where my parents live in the lower Hudson valley in NY is pretty rad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The models have done a lot of aspects of this frontal passage well, but one struggle has been how quickly the temps drop behind the front, and that had huge implications for potential for the flash freeze.     Even all of the 12Z models today show me in the low 20s by 11AM, but it's still 28 here.   If you look at HRRR trends, it took a long time to catch on to the idea that the big drop would be delayed.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Can I ask a very honest question, why are you subjecting yourself to this at Christmas when you have a beautiful house out in Deep Creek where it’s warm? 

Because I don't have a house (yet) in DCL?   We bought 180ac on meadow mtn but it's all forested with no utilities or anything.  Saving cash to build the cabin which if the market doesn't go to shit we should start this time next year.  So for now we try to go camping here once a month to get our fix.  I'll take -6F with -29F WC (according to WeatherBug right now) over 90F and humid for camping any day of the week.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic