• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

Other than the Friday-Sat deal that looks dead for now, it appears the period around the 12th is realistically the next trackable threat. Using the EPS depiction here, but the signal has generally been there across ens guidance. As the trough out west lifts, a shortwave is ejected eastward with a ridge beginning to develop along the west coast. The wave is approaching the 4 corners in this panel and tracks eastward towards the Gulf coast states.

1673200800-ghQjzUcmfO8.png

Low pressure develops in the mid south then tracks towards the east coast.

1673503200-PuIOratJ4UA.png

At h5 +height anomalies develop near Hudson Bay as low pressure is organizing over the southeast. Not ideal, but this general setup used to work well for a moderate winter storm in the MA. Temps are an issue verbatim- still not much cold available during this period as depicted.

1673438400-1EOZTYoW1HA.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I could see this winter ending up being rated as a good one. This doesn’t seem to be fitting the Nina mode.

Not sure if you've put me on ignore or not (I am getting better, btw), but I was gonna say...Is it wrong to suppose that it looks a little more split-flowy (i.e more nino-ish) past next weekend? Or something that doesn't look nina-like, lol

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Not sure if you've put me on ignore or not (I am getting better, btw), but I was gonna say...Is it wrong to suppose that it looks a little more split-flowy (i.e more nino-ish) past next weekend? Or something that doesn't look nina-like, lol

It looks solid.  Split flow and ready to go for snow

20 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

My only concern with the current look is warm temp anomalies over Canada even with a good h5 look right over us and the SE. Not sure we’ll get our air cold enough to snow even through the end of Jan. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

My only concern with the current look is warm temp anomalies over Canada even with a good h5 look right over us and the SE. Not sure we’ll get our air cold enough to snow even through the end of Jan. 

Temps do cool some in our source region towards mid month as the Pacific firehose pulls back and the trough finally retrogrades over the Aleutians. If that look is real and holds, we should have more cold available going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I’m not the guy to ask. Plenty here that know more than me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

12z GFS somehow manages to get a little something going along the coast despite multiple pieces of vorticity intertwining within a positively tilted trough while an amplified ridge is bearing down right on top. :lol:

Man is that it's bias after it's upgrade? Coastal action outta nowhere? Lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic