Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

8 hours ago, HighStakes said:

I ended up with 26-28 inches. Hour after hour of sustained 2-3 inch per hour rates. If memory serves correct most of the snow fell in a 12 hour period  between 5:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Early afternoon thundersnow and 2”ph rates and one burst 1” in 12 minutes 

• Like 2

GEFS and EPS just a little  different in the LR wrt PNA/NAO:eps_z500a_nhem_61.thumb.png.dabc3ec99ef993d893c55b0b5f1b0526.pnggfs-ens_z500a_nhem_60.thumb.png.b536d98a709a0eed36a6f9d8d1d58441.png

The GEFS have been better in the extended but I will just say this...the sudden flip around mid month the GEFS shows sort of fits a Nina after an ECS. Ive been saying we are going to have small windows sandwiched between reloads and dirtier looks and this period fits the mold....if the GEFS are even right. Jan 96...pattern flip right after and tstorm the next week. Jan 2016 good window then flipped a few days after.  Am I suggesting a big storm right before or around mid month? Maybe, since several members have been signaling something 11th-14th. My theory could be inaccurate but I seem to remember in past Ninas we tend to flip PNA after a storm and subsequent melt-off. The GEFS mean just prior to the big flip:gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_43.thumb.png.0b3841deedb638ec4470d3ca1b6b5aa6.png

Let's not forget shorter term tho....could see flakes as early as Thursday/Friday in spots with another wave right on it's heels.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

So I guess we're not gonna talk about the Euro H5 at 240

You know how we roll...either 120hr and under or 360+ nothing in-between.

Eta: but seriously 240 on the Euro is the 384 on the gfs...an op at its farthest range. Waiting for @CAPE or @WxUSAF to remind everyone use the ens at that range which aren't a bad look either

41 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

So I guess we're not gonna talk about the Euro H5 at 240

EPS has several lows entering the TV...maybe a start of some redevelopment near the NC coasteps_lowlocs_us_41.thumb.png.9d4365cc62e505be71d4950050dbc560.png

eps_lowlocs_us_42.thumb.png.826ae8389e18c7db63abddf180c1d49b.png

Decent signal but as is common in a Nina, need to beware the cutter.....tho the EPS would suggest is getting forced to redevelop somewhere east given the ridging up topeps_z500a_us_41.thumb.png.ad8c402dd13bf6a55665d5a50e5be938.png

I don't hate this setup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Eta: but seriously 240 on the Euro is the 384 on the gfs...an op at its farthest range. Waiting for @CAPE or @WxUSAF to remind everyone use the ens at that range which aren't a bad look either

0z EPS suggests multiple chances between the 10th and 15th. General signals are there but members are all over the place on evolution as expected. For now it seems like the storm mentioned on the op run at 240 is favored to track NW at least initially, then possible coastal development. Around the 15th there appears to be another opportunity with a colder look and a possible coastal storm in a more favorable location.

eta- the latter appears to be mixed between something cutting west, some sort of Miller B, or possibly another wave(along the coast) right after on the members. Too far out to get into specifics obv. There are chances with a trend towards colder mid month.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

What is the gfs doing at 102?

gfs_z500_vort_us_18.png

The ridge amplifying and breaking over the top pulls that vorticity lobe underneath, then the amplifying ridge behind kicks it east and it goes negative in time for some surface development off the coast, but it's a bit too far north for us. Lots going on and the flow is progressive, but it works out for NE this time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

You're talking around 120 or this thing at 200+? Because um..that looks interesting

Friday. GGEM amplifies the follow up wave and gives us some digital blue (and green) next weekend. Seems like lots of chances coming up. Marginal cold air, but hopefully “enough” with the right storm track.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The Euro at 240 is like the GFS at 240 - a global op at 240.

Ensembles are all looking tasty as we get into the middle of the month. Keep that up and we’ll at least have plenty to talk about.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Waiting for PSU to tell us the new norm for snow in this era are sub 25f 850s

Yesterday I noted across guidance there were several mid latitude waves in the next 2 weeks with no appreciable frozen precip associated with them anywhere. Maybe some rain/snow mix on the NW periphery.  Another thing logged into the journal.  I’ve noted this before a lot lately.

It seems we need arctic air to get frozen precip south of 40* lately. Problem is that was always rare. Getting snow at 32* in a blah airmass from a good track was always the more common way we snowed. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic