Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Preliminarily ... a medium impact partial Miller B, Friday

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Meanwhile Alta up to 186" on the season. :lol:

Thats insane. Wonder which ski resort wins for the highest totals for this storm? I may chase this and ski Mount Snow or Sugarloaf. Just have not made my mind up yet until maybe tonights run or tomorrow morning. 

From BOX wrt this event:

Thursday night/Friday/Fri night... Potent upper low over the western Great Lakes ejects short wave energy toward SNE this period. Modest jet dynamics and moisture plume accompany this feature. However, given high latitude block, some duration to the precip, from Thu night into possibly early Sat morning. Ensembles (ECENS & GEFS) both supporting QPF ranging from 0.75 to 1.5 inches, with low probs of 2+ inches in spots. As for ptype, temp anomalies from the ensembles indicate airmass on the front end is only seasonably cold. Therefore, it will be difficult to maintain cold air, unless low level circulation from secondary frontal wave tracks offshore. There remains a large spread in the guidance regarding the track of this secondary wave, however, more members are farther west, tracking along the coast or across SNE. The GFS and its ensembles are on the east side of the envelope, hence a colder/snowier solution. Given the antecedent airmass is not anomalously cold combined with upper low over the western Great Lakes, the low level circulation likely won`t track offshore, and cold air should erode quickly. The exception will be across the high terrain of western MA, where cold air will linger longer, supporting the risk for several inches of snow. The ECENS has high probs for 3+ of snow here, GEFS is lower. Accumulating snow also possible for northern Worcester county, albeit lower probs than the Berkshires. Elsewhere, odds favor a chilly, windswept rain, especially for coastal plain, where a low level easterly jet of 40-50 kt quickly erodes the cold air. This strong low level jet may also translate to wind gusts up to 35-45 mph, so wind advisories may be need for the coastline.

Haven't had much time to really look thoroughly in-depth, but I am a bit excited for this potential. Obviously coastal pees the excitement isn't there, but I don't think we're done seeing the coldest solution yet. This thing is going to be extremely dynamic as we have the supply of cold air...just have to lock that in. Going to be a big time gradient setting up though  

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Haven't had much time to really look thoroughly in-depth, but I am a bit excited for this potential. Obviously coastal pees the excitement isn't there, but I don't think we're done seeing the coldest solution yet. This thing is going to be extremely dynamic as we have the supply of cold air...just have to lock that in. Going to be a big time gradient setting up though  

Plenty of cold air ...ehhh maybe just enough cold air outside Norfolk and Berkshire county 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Might help being on the western side? I feel like any longitude helps. Hopefully you guys can grab some.

I could see this as one of those storms where BDL has little, but a few miles west is hammered (or something more generous). That line that sets up in these systems just west of West Springfield down west of West Hartford etc.

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Plenty of cold air ...ehhh maybe just enough cold air outside Norfolk and Berkshire county 

I think it's still a bit too far out to really discount anything. There are so many factors here that will be a determinant. One of them is how the baroclinic zone evolves there in the southeast which will be tied into how progressive the cold front is moving across the south. Move that a bit faster and the baroclinic zone gets shunted east.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I feel like we’ve had a lot of rainers that have been decent tracks in the last 5 or so years. I can’t remember the year, but we had a benchmark Rainer here not too long ago.

In thy knicker days, maybe this would be snow inside 495. 

We've also pulled many events out of our arses too. Eventually luck runs out. 

4 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Well, here is hoping the GFS is correct....Almost all snow here, maybe 5-10"? I would assume during light precip we would flip to some drizzle or light rain....hoping for a bit more in dynamics and we could easily see more. Hopefully not a 33-35 degree rain event. 

NAM and now GFS…we trending. 

15 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Gfs says sorry NNE No snows for you 

Berks , ORH county and NE Merrimack valley do better on that run . CNE drier and lower totals 

Remembering Dec 17 2020 when the early models had the heavy snow band in southern Conn. and R.I. and it wound up 200 miles north. ofc a different setup, since that had SN all the way to the coast with more cold air. But a similar track.

• Like 1