• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2022

George BM

I know I’m late to this and probably beating a dead horse at this point but people are acting like the old NWS measuring site was in Tenlytown, with 400’ elevation on DCA. It was at 24th and M, like two blocks north of GWU. It’s in the heart of the urban core! I seriously doubt that official NWS measurements would be all that different if reporting site stayed there instead of moving to DCA in 1941…climate change is real and winters in DC are warmer and less snowy on the whole because of it. I am shocked that this is a controversial thing to say on a science-based forum. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clueless said:

Long range disco is gonna be something for the next two weeks. 

Nah- the board is ridiculous if you don’t post a cold map or comment- someone will tell you that you’re wrong.  Cold keeps getting delayed- it was a quick week, now it’s 2 with big departures but I’m sure on the 13th it will be ice cold.  Lol

1 hour ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

Nah- the board is ridiculous if you don’t post a cold map or comment- someone will tell you that you’re wrong.  Cold keeps getting delayed- it was a quick week, now it’s 2 with big departures but I’m sure on the 13th it will be ice cold.  Lol

My point is that people get disappointed and melt down because the atmosphere isn’t cooperating.  There are other places to melt down around here.  Cape is providing great analysis so if people don’t have a good questions or can add to it, maybe stay silent?  

Never ceases to amaze me that climate change remains a topic of debate on this board.  Like, I realize that drawing a line to the precise effects is difficult, if not impossible, and that our local Wx, including annual snowfall, is not representative or necessarily indicative of any specific climate-change-induced global pattern, but when folks pop up to say it has no measurable effect on our Wx whatsoever (in the winter precip context) I'm always somewhat flabbergasted.

1 hour ago, eurojosh said:

but when folks pop up to say it has no measurable effect on our Wx whatsoever (in the winter precip context) I'm always somewhat flabbergasted.

I don't think that strong of a claim was ever made, at least I did not see it.  I think the claim boils down to: "there is not statistical evidence that the snowfall at DCA is in a long-term decline", which is a much smaller scope.  Now from what I have seen in discussion here, I am still very skeptical of that claim, but I am interested to here what that fellow has to say in detail.

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but so far I approve of Breckenridge Brewery Avalanche.  I'd approve of it even more if it was snowing outside.  One of the reasons I like winter is that it gives me a break from the biking/hoops.  Not sure I want or need 3-4 months (if I wanted that I'd move to Burlington while I'm still single), but if we don't end up with a Jan/Feb winter, then I might need to create my own temporary retirement for the sake of my feet/knees/back.  However, the fact that we were able to get into the single digits in December makes me think winter is still attainable.  That, and the fact that it's not even January yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 87storms said:

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but so far I approve of Breckenridge Brewery Avalanche.  I'd approve of it even more if it was snowing outside.  One of the reasons I like winter is that it gives me a break from the biking/hoops.  Not sure I want or need 3-4 months (if I wanted that I'd move to Burlington while I'm still single), but if we don't end up with a Jan/Feb winter, then I might need to create my own temporary retirement for the sake of my feet/knees/back.  However, the fact that we were able to get into the single digits in December makes me think winter is still attainable.  That, and the fact that it's not even January yet.

You don't play Hoops inside during winter? 

On 12/28/2022 at 11:49 AM, North Balti Zen said:

I don't know what that is but check this out...

“Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.” 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic