Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

13 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Rjay getting old. He doesn't remember anything :(

Maybe you should try to remember the post you made on page 17 where you said you're rooting for the major cities to get less than 5 inches of snow this winter. That sure sounded like you giving up on this winter, so you don't have any room to be criticizing other people that have been honest about how bleak the situation is this winter. 

What a disaster of a winter. I’m not saying I’m going to starve because it hasn’t snowed but for those of us that have financial ties to snow this hurts. Snow removal = overtime for thousands of workers and business for many small businesses. You really can’t rely on it like you could in the past. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What a disaster of a winter. I’m not saying I’m going to starve because it hasn’t snowed but for those of us that have financial ties to snow this hurts. Snow removal = overtime for thousands of workers and business for many small businesses. You really can’t rely on it like you could in the past. 

It's just like with the Indigenous people I watched in a documentary, they can't rely on salmon fishing like they used to for thousands of years, because the fish are disappearing in the wild.

They have to move on to other ways of sustaining themselves :(

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

It's just like with the Indigenous people I watched in a documentary, they can't rely on salmon fishing like they used to for thousands of years, because the fish are disappearing in the wild.

They have to move on to other ways of sustaining themselves :(

A good snowy winter could mean doubling my annual salary in overtime. That’s a serious hit. Luckily for me I have other projects I work on to supplement when it isn’t going to snow. I have friends who do snow removal privately and the only way to make that work anymore is to sign contracts ahead of time. That, then comes with the risk we have a blockbuster winter. Which in my opinion will still happen moving forward. Feast or famine is the new snow reality in our area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A good snowy winter could mean doubling my annual salary in overtime. That’s a serious hit. Luckily for me I have other projects I work on to supplement when it isn’t going to snow. I have friends who do snow removal privately and the only way to make that work anymore is to sign contracts ahead of time. That, then comes with the risk we have a blockbuster winter. Which in my opinion will still happen moving forward. Feast or famine is the new snow reality in our area.

Just based on climo I can't imagine signing a contract...pay by the storm around here.  Contract stuff is for mountain climates IMO

On 1/18/2023 at 5:58 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yup feast or famine, and it'll probably be either next year or the year after, seeing what usually happens after really bad winters like this one.

After 2001-02 we had 2002-03 (need a nice strong el nino) and after 2011-12 we had an average winter in 2012-13 and then a couple of blockbusters after that.

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Yup feast or famine, and it'll probably be either next year or the year after, seeing what usually happens after really bad winters like this one.

After 2001-02 we had 2002-03 (need a nice strong el nino) and after 2011-12 we had an average winter in 2012-13 and then a couple of blockbusters after that.

A strong nino actually isn’t what you want. 82/83 and 15/16 lucked out with one big storm. 97/98 is more typical of what to expect with a strong nino. What you want is a weak to moderate nino. 

10 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I've wondered about the whole feast or famine thing here on LI.  Anecdotally, at least, it seemed true.  I started messing with some data I scrounged from a newsday web page showing annual snowfall totals since the 1950s.  I tried standard deviation first from 1950-1985, then 1986-2020, that showed a larger SD for the latter, but it was tough to visualize.  Then I tried taking the range of min to max annual snowfall for each decade.  That had surprising results, with the only real outlier being the 1980s.  Lastly, I threw out the min and max for each decade, figuring you'll have an anomaly on each end every decade, and then repeated the exercise.  I think this captures best what LibertyBell describes:

image.png.3102b690d8a4a76805787c4243e97b1e.png

I realize everything about this approach is probably an abomination to any scientist on here, but I figured what the heck, it's so slow right now I'll post it.

• Thanks 1

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic