Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

It gets washed away by a lakes cutter. Let's not stress over every OP run in a La Nina.

I'm learning more and more that at this range all you wanna look for is what's happening up top. Had a gut feeling about that timeframe (either that or I'm biased because I'd love a Dec 2009 redux), but for right now we just wanna see if we can get the better pattern first! 18z gefs seemed to show some improvement.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm learning more and more that at this range all you wanna look for is up top. Had a gut feeling about that timeframe (either that or I'm biased because I'd love a Dec 2009 redux), but for right now we just wanna see if we can get the better pattern first! 18z gefs seemed to show some improvement.

Yes. IMO, D3 - 5 look at mid levels, D5 and beyond, look upstairs.

For the Dec 9-10 threat, the key difference between the GFS and Euro is the position/strength of the HP over eastern Canada leading into, and during the event. At h5 there is a vortex that gets pinched off underneath between the ridge over eastern Canada and the developing NAO ridge over Greenland on the Euro that is absent on the GFS. This feature increases confluence and enhances HP at the surface, which brings colder air south ahead of the approaching wave, and forces it to track further southward with redevelopment along the coast. The vortex sort of acts as a westward displaced 50/50 low. The CMC has this feature too but further north and somewhat weaker, thus its solution is in between the GFS and Euro.

1670630400-TwVPPJkegf8.png

Look at the difference at the surface leading in-

1670576400-FzpI5Qe6jo8.png

1670576400-FMVsR3XapXY.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1