Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Could be too much of a good thing. Squished storms maybe. Then we are back to waiting for the relax. Still love the next 3 weeks for the majority of us though. 

-NAO looks to relax somewhat around the 15th-18th period on both the gefs and the eps. Would love to time that up with a more neutral PNA. Thinkin' about that chart DonSutherland1 shared the other day. Had some hits with the PNA just below or just above neutral! Of course, we need other details to get right, of course...but that would be a good start!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Could be too much of a good thing. Squished storms maybe? Then we are back to waiting for the relax. Still love the next 3 weeks for the majority of us though. 

makes sense...mid to late december is usually the annual window when some warm southern location gets snow before we do.  This year feels like a Hampton-Roads special. General 3-5", with 6-8" lollies on the boardwalk in VA beach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Still a little early for NAM extrapolations. Damn shame. That is when this site is fun. 

One of the first weenie quotations I ever saw when I found this site in Winter 2014 was: "Wam, bam, thank you NAM!" Why that sticks out to me I have no clue, but yep...that was the start of the descent into the madness :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doesn’t amount to much, but the GEFS is on its way towards caving to the EPS, at least off this run. The mean shaves 2-3 degrees Celsius off everyone’s temps as the precip comes through Friday evening. Results aren’t that spectacular, but it’s a start if you are hunting for something, especially in favored spots north.

• Like 2

Doesn’t amount to much, but the GEFS is on its way towards caving to the EPS, at least off this run. The mean shaves 2-3 degrees Celsius off everyone’s temps as the precip comes through Friday evening. Results aren’t that spectacular, but it’s a start if you are hunting for something, especially in favored spots north.

For the 2 people interested, the GEPS turned on the toaster. I’m not even interested enough to wait for the EURO unless I’m accidentally awake in an hour.
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

35 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

For the 2 people interested, the GEPS turned on the toaster. I’m not even interested enough to wait for the EURO unless I’m accidentally awake in an hour.

I'm up and it's already out to 54, so I'll post a map for the Saturday/Sun event.  If it even still exists.  

• Like 1

The bottom line is having a mechanism for delivery of anomalous cold, especially in December. The currently advertised pattern on the EPS would get it done, as would the CMC ens(actually looks unrealistically cold given the h5 look). EPS has the best/coldest look at h5 with a -EPO/slightly +PNA from mid month onward. GEFS has improved in recent runs, but doesn't quite get the NPAC sorted- has a slightly -EPO/neutral PNA look towards D15.

Root for the EPS, although as @WxUSAF said, the pattern progression it has been depicting looks more Nino than Nina, and it has trended towards the GEFS in recent weeks moving from the LR to MR.

1671451200-sGjBgZe5jE0.png

• Like 8

I just took a quick look at the Pacific basin on the means, centered around the 20th of Dec. Indication of more precip(convection) in the Western Pac on the EPS and GEPS, with not much going on in that region on the GEFS. The N Pacific Jet configuration on the EPS and GEPS is notably more extended than on the GEFS to my eye. This explains at least in part the differences  we are seeing in the advertised h5 patterns. The base state in a Nina is usually hostile to our goals, so it's always a fight. The other problem with the latest GEFS runs is the -NAO looks a bit wonky and weaker, and if that is close to reality it won't do much to mitigate an unfavorable Pacific.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I just took a quick look at the Pacific basin on the means, centered around the 20th of Dec. Indication of more precip(convection) in the Western Pac on the EPS and GEPS, with not much going on in that region on the GEFS. The N Pacific Jet configuration on the EPS and GEPS is notably more extended than on the GEFS to my eye. This explains at least in part the differences  we are seeing in the advertised h5 patterns. The base state in a Nina is usually hostile to our goals, so it's always a fight. The other problem with the latest GEFS runs is the -NAO looks wonky and weaker, and if that is close to reality it won't do much to mitigate an unfavorable Pacific.

I know the RMM plots don't necessarily tell the whole picture but interesting that the GEFS pretty much went all in on the MJO reemerging into 1,2.  Curious if todays runs start to shift to a colder outcome in the LR.  

Just now, poolz1 said:

I know the RMM plots don't necessarily tell the whole picture but interesting that the GEFS pretty much went all in on the MJO reemerging into 1,2.  Curious if todays runs start to shift to a colder outcome in the LR.  

I just looked at that. It might. In general the forcing looks weak regardless of phase. Not an expert on that stuff but that's gotta be better than having persistent convection near the MC.

• Like 1

@CAPE unfortunately we've been seeing a lot of what we typically get in a long range pattern fail.  Over the last 5 years guidance has often teased the progression of the pacific when in reality it quickly retrogrades into its hostile base state, or fails to ever even get out of it.  One troubling feature, even on the better looking long range guidance, the central pacific ridge is still healthy and centered exactly where we don't want it.  The EPS at times is getting a good look by extending that ridge all the way into western N American and even at times linking with the AO/NAO.  But that's just tenuous at best and unlikely a sustainable longwave pattern.   So long as the main heat transfer in the pacific continues happening north of Hawaii we are going to have a really difficult time getting true cold air and fighting off a SE ridge.  

The other issue is that the NAO isn't a true block.  The actual block there now was originally supposed to retrograde to Baffin.  Instead the "block" is being squezed out and what we end up with is simply higher heights up top mostly due to the fact there is no cold air anywhere on our side after the TPV slides out.  The higher heights we see up top is mostly a useless feature in terms of doing us any good wrt a pattern favorable for snowfall.  

On the positive side, things could be much worse.  The amplitude of the pacific ridge is not as great as it was during some of our worse periods.  There is no blue ball of death up top.  The pattern is close enough that it could still evolve towards a better place down the road, even if I am skeptical.  Problem is...the pattern being "ok" doesn't really do us any good anymore most of the time.  As I was lamenting with @WxUSAFthe other day, we don't really luck our way to snow in marginal setups very often anymore.  We really need a true cold air source and favorable pattern to get snow.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I just looked at that. It might. In general the forcing looks weak regardless of phase. Not an expert on that stuff but that's gotta be better than having persistent convection near the MC.

I few years ago I hypothesized based on observation that the MJO impact is most significant when it is in phase and conjunction with the base state and often has little impact when its weak and out of phase with the base state.  For example...a strong phase 8-1 during el nino will initiate a great pattern.  But when we were waiting all winter for the MJO to weakly meander into phase 8 during a Nina...when it did finally do so it had no real impact other then to make the pattern perhaps a little less awful for a week.  

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@CAPE unfortunately we've been seeing a lot of what we typically get in a long range pattern fail.  Over the last 5 years guidance has often teased the progression of the pacific when in reality it quickly retrogrades into its hostile base state, or fails to ever even get out of it.  One troubling feature, even on the better looking long range guidance, the central pacific ridge is still healthy and centered exactly where we don't want it.  The EPS at times is getting a good look by extending that ridge all the way into western N American and even at times linking with the AO/NAO.  But that's just tenuous at best and unlikely a sustainable longwave pattern.   So long as the main heat transfer in the pacific continues happening north of Hawaii we are going to have a really difficult time getting true cold air and fighting off a SE ridge.  

The other issue is that the NAO isn't a true block.  The actual block there now was originally supposed to retrograde to Baffin.  Instead the "block" is being squezed out and what we end up with is simply higher heights up top mostly due to the fact there is no cold air anywhere on our side after the TPV slides out.  The higher heights we see up top is mostly a useless feature in terms of doing us any good wrt a pattern favorable for snowfall.  

On the positive side, things could be much worse.  The amplitude of the pacific ridge is not as great as it was during some of our worse periods.  There is no blue ball of death up top.  The pattern is close enough that it could still evolve towards a better place down the road, even if I am skeptical.  Problem is...the pattern being "ok" doesn't really do us any good anymore most of the time.  As I was lamenting with @WxUSAFthe other day, we don't really luck our way to snow in marginal setups very often anymore.  We really need a true cold air source and favorable pattern to get snow.  

The Pacific is always a battle, but I also don't like the look of the NAO on the latest runs. It seems to evolve from a full lat ridge resulting from the western trough, then it tilts neg into GL, but it isn't so much a ridge at that point as it is a blob of higher +heights sitting there. Looking at the height lines they look flat, with little indication of a true -NAO dipole as we were seeing on previous runs, and ofc the TPV has exited stage left. As for getting legit cold air, I think it will probably have to come from a -EPO period..

• Like 3